Code of Conduct

Default Would this be redundant?

I put this here instead of JSO mostly because I want opinions on the fragrances and their uses/notes as it relates to a small collection (of course if you feel differently please report it to be moved).

Anyway, I just recently purchased LDDM, and love it. But, now I just got a sample of Ambre Precieux by MPG and I love this too. It's just a little sweet, with soft amber and a lovely vanilla backbone in the dry down. Problem is, I feel like owning both would be kind of redundant. Sure, one has more of an incense and spices vibe, but I feel like they would be used for the same occasions, which would largely be a night out or a cozy day at home.

So, what do you experienced people think? I know Ambre Precieux is a classic, and I can see why.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Default Re: Would this be redundant?

I don't think they are redundant at all. If you have the cash, I recommend you to buy Ambre Preciuex. I have a bottle of LDDM, a sample of Precieux, a bottle of Ambre Sultan and pure oil of amber in a large vial.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. I also recommend you to try The Sultan (Ambre Sultan) before buying the Precieux. These two are more redundant, and you should decide which one you prefer.

Is Ambre Preciuex redundant if you own LDDM? I guess it depends on how much of an amber connoisseur you are. They'll be different during the first half of a day when worn, but they'll eventually evolve into a base that's similar, and that accounts for a lot of time if you get the same killer longevity from LDDM that I get.

I definitely find Ambre Sultan and LDDM to be redundant. Of the two, I prefer (and recommend) LDDM.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I too think that they are quite different, and so there's space for both. Besides, even if they were similar, if you like them a lot, there'd be plenty of occasions to wear them. Perfumes, if stored properly, last for decades. And, even though amber doesn't seem to be on the cutting block, we see so many perfumes being reformulated that it is perhaps good to stock up now before something bad happens.

cacio

Thanks for the advice. When I get home from vacation I'll have to wear half a spray of LDDM and a dab of Ambre Precieux and compare them. I see I can get AP for $79 on Fragnet for 100mL, which is a steal it seems.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Not redundant IMO. Get both.

Not at all. AP dries down to way too much vanilla on me but LDDM keeps the great incense throughout.

I don't see the similarity really. Yes lAdDM is said to be ambery but thats like saying the ocean is watery.

The former is very very complex while the latter, by intention, is not as complex and stays true to it's motif : amber dominant.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I don't see the similarity really. Yes lAdDM is said to be ambery but thats like saying the ocean is watery.

The former is very very complex while the latter, by intention, is not as complex and stays true to it's motif : amber dominant.
    That seems like a very poor analogy. LDDM is amber, sure, but the two, while different in some respects, share a lot of the same vibe and general use. I know some people have 5+ amber fragrances with differences in a collection, but mine is only 26 bottles right now so I'm looking for guidance to see where best to spend my money.

I stick to what I said: either my nose is broken/destroyed or LDDM and Ambre Precieux are very much different.

I agree with others that these two are very different.

If you think two fragrances are redundant when you would use them for the same occasions, and that applies to these, then I suppose they are. That's sort of a functional approach to fragrance use. Would you say that two albums are redundant if you'd enjoy listening to them in the same situations? Probably not, I would guess.

I think most people that are enthusiastic about fragrances would want to own both if they enjoy each because they will want to experience each one for its own sake at different times.

Ambre Precieux is a pretty straightforward, unadorned amber - dense and sweet. The Tauer has some amber in the base, but it has a much more expansive feel for most of its development. The use of the incense and who knows what else makes it feel very present, but much more transparent. I think you'll find that you want each at very different times if you owned both.

Having said that, I'd seriously consider getting Ambre Sultan instead of AP. I find it a lot more interesting. Still a big, warm amber, but with a savory herbal edge for the first part of it's development that adds a lot of interest. I love that part of it.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    That seems like a very poor analogy. LDDM is amber, sure, but the two, while different in some respects, share a lot of the same vibe and general use. I know some people have 5+ amber fragrances with differences in a collection, but mine is only 26 bottles right now so I'm looking for guidance to see where best to spend my money.
    Frankly, I dont even classify lAdDM as an amber perfume. Sure, it has some in it but there is more in it and to it that justifies classifying it as a non-amber.
    Sorta like Jasmin et Cigaratte. Theres a lot of jasmine in it but I don't classify it as a jasmine soliflore. It has too much going on in it to be reduced to " a jasmine perfume", the same concept applies to lAdDM.

Maybe at your level, lAdDM and AP seem redundant or similar but in reality, they're in different genres all together.

But you've made your point clear.

Yes , for you, they're the same. Don't buy it.

Maybe in the future when your nose develops further, you'll be able to tell the differences.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 24th March 2013 at 10:31 AM.

for swap/sale:

I've worn AP all night and really like it, and I can get what rubegon was saying about the album thing. I'd perhaps consider Ambre Sultan, but from what people tell me it has dried fruits in it, which I am generally not a fan of in fragrances.

Also, for the record, I never 'made my point clear.' All I did was state a way I was feeling at this given time. Right now I really like AP and may very well purchase it, and it was my intention to find reasons TO buy it, not reasons not to. My nose is perfectly fine for now, and I know there are differences. I was looking at it from a practical standpoint, just like owning two vetivers in a small collection, two to three aquatics.
    Last edited by OctaVariuM; 24th March 2013 at 11:29 AM.

They are really very different. Not different like oranges are different than tangerines or lemons and limes. Different like lemons are different than pineapple.

How have you tried spraying laadm or dabbing it?

for swap/sale:

Their journey is different enough to own both but I prefer LDDM.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Plus

They are really very different. Not different like oranges are different than tangerines or lemons and limes. Different like lemons are different than pineapple.

I agree. If I want an Amber fragrance, LADDM is not the one I would reach for. It may have some Amber in its base, but for strait forward Amber, I would reach for AP.

Spraying, as I own a bottle. However, I've only dabbed AP since it was an aedes sample. I did get differences in then dry down late last night after my post.

Also to be fair it was only one wearing. I just immediately loved it, so i thought I'd ask. I really didn't expect my nose to come into question.
    Last edited by OctaVariuM; 24th March 2013 at 12:26 PM.

Dabbing is not the same as spraying.

Today I have sprayed on Volutes EDT. All over my neck and clothed chest area and a single spray on my inner arm.

What I smell when I raise my arm to my nose is rather different than what I smell from personal projection.

for swap/sale:

Amber Sultan is a gorgeous spicy Amber, very unique