Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default Back from Esxcence 2013: two possible gems

Yesterday I've spent a few hours at Esxcence and ended up with a pretty mighty nose fatigue, so I couldn't comment.
    Today, though, I'm wearing small dabs of two fragrances that I don't see listed (yet) and that I think are very nice indeed. On my right hand, there's Enchanted Forest by The Vagabond Prince (created by Duchafour, www.vagabondprince.com) - what I can say about this is don't trust the blotter. On paper it's, to put it bluntly, cat pee. Lots of cat pee, all the time (the blotter I sprayed 24 hours ago and left out in the open for the last 20 still smells like cat pee). On skin, though, it immediately transforms into an absolutely wonderful rendition of, well, the nicest-smelling forest undergrowth I've ever found. I'm gonna have to try it on a larger scale than the back of my hand, but there's a definite bottle-worth potential here.

On my left hand I'm wearing Oud Assam by Rania J (created by herself, http://www.raniaj.com/) and it's a gorgeus, gorgeus Oud. I'm no oud lover, mind, and my experience wearing the note is rather limited: just a few Montale samples, the non-Oud from Creed and the Acqua di Parma one, and Rania J's effort is nothing like those.
    I have also smelled quite a few ouds on a blotter, too, and Oud Assam reminds me of the 130€/ml Amouage Al Khaloud. Not the massive, overpowering initial olfactory assault of the attar, which I'll admit I couldn't stomach, but the wonderfully smooth, woody/smoky and entirely benign drydown. With the difference that I had to wait two days for Amouage's blotter to reach that stage, while Oud Assam is there after a couple hours on my skin (without having been through the Sarin fase, either). So yeah, I love this and, if the full try goes as well, I'm pretty sure I'm going to shell out for a bottle.

The best part is both sell samples through their websites, so you don't have to trust me =)

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Back from Esxcence 2013: two possible gems

Thank you for posting your thoughts. Unfortunately, I did not like anything about Enchanted Forest. Did not find anything enchanted about it.

I hated Enchanted Forest , Armpit BO + Grape juice, YUCK

Basenotes Member

Well, to each their own of course - but did you try on skin or on paper only?

(BTW - my girlfriend hates EF too =))

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Unfortunately, I did not like anything about Enchanted Forest. Did not find anything enchanted about it.
    Same here.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by pgcd View Post
    Well, to each their own of course - but did you try on skin or on paper only?

(BTW - my girlfriend hates EF too =))
    Skin.

Basenotes Member

I'm currently wearing the sample of Oud Assam I got at Esxence, and I really really like it. Too bad I can't even find it in the fragrance directory...

Sound Scents

Enchanted Forest was a major disappointment when I tried it earlier this year on skin. I got very little forest and and plenty of black current wine-spiked tropical fruit punch early before it dried down to a mundane powdery slightly green mess... Not a good one, IMO.

I have never sniffed Oud Assam so I will have to seek that one out.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Didn't like EF either, as Drseid said, hardly any forest like smell deductible from it...I was actually eager to test it based on its name and I did test it a day after Slumberhouse Norne and what a disappointment it was... Norne had taken me so high, EF brought me crashing back...

Thank you for the report.

These two scents are truly niche offerings.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Thanks for your report. If nothing else, Enchanted Forest starts with an impressive bang but whimps out much sooner than expected.

Basenotes Member

After a full (even if night only) wearing, I'm convinced that Assam Oud is indeed excellent; the one complaint I have is regarding projection, which seems a little on the skin-side for an EDP. Still, for this wearing I have used about 0.5ml, so perhaps it's to be expected. Sadly, I can't really compare it to other ouds except Acqua di Parma and that Amouage one (and brief exposition to a few more), so perhaps I'm overenthusiastic over a completely run-of-the-mill work...

As for EF, I am sorry if I made it sound somewhat akin to Norne - there's absolutely no trace of majestic tree there, as far as I can tell. What it reminds me of is more brambles and stuff with thorns and fallen leaves and berries and the like, in a surprisingly nice-smelling way. Sadly, as Trebor says, it tapers out very quickly on (my) skin; I'll try it again in the winter but it seems a little too short-lived.