Code of Conduct

Default Pal Zileri Sartoriale

In my quest for sartorial-inspired fragrances, I am interested in trying the Pal Zileri Sartoriale. I was wondering if anyone thought this would be a good blind buy.

Default Re: Pal Zileri Sartoriale

Absolutely the closest you'll get to Gucci Rush without finding Gucci Rush (thank goodness I still have my bottle).

It's a woodsy, smooth blend that hides a subtle complexity with a bit more sandalwood (to my nose) than Rush but has poor longevity - we're talking 4 hours and less. I liked it, but handed my bottle over to a bigger fan of it than I. Would love to know where you're going to buy this one from.

Its a fragrance centered around a mysore sandalwood accord, its a much weaker version and less complex version of Gucci Rush ( Why they discontinued such an awesome fragrance is beyond me) , the drydown of Wonderwood is very similar and has excellent longevity. As with all sandalwood fragrances, projection is light to moderate.
    Last edited by vinramani09; 24th March 2013 at 09:59 PM.

Gucci Rush is much better in every dimension IMO.

Like Rush, Satoriale is also discontinued. It can still be found but I agree that Rush is much better.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Easily a good blind buy It's really not that bad at all, i do get the Gucci rush similarities but i think Azzarro visit is probably nearer.
    Sartoriale would be in my top 10 if only it lasted longer, its heavily synthetic but pleasant
    I mostly get violet and sandalwood which comes off quite sweet and in the woody/floral area. Worth it if you can still grab it pretty cheaply.

I wonder why they discontinued Rush, its an amazing scent , light years ahead of the shit being produced by Gucci under Frida Giannini, the current director.

I see on fragrancenet they have testers back in stock of this for a good price. Is it still better to get Wonderwood? Any other opinions on this one? I absolutely loved Rush. RIP, lol

Excellent scent, but more like Gucci Envy IMHO. Not the best scent for summer.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Excellent scent, but more like Gucci Envy IMHO. Not the best scent for summer.
    I'll pass then, not an Envy fan

Wonderwood is awesome as far is accessible wood scents go

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    My niche and designer decant thread (Atelier, Frapin, Creed, Christian Lacroix, Ferre etc): http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....9f250dfc84af37

Quote Originally Posted by RS2AM View Post
    I see on fragrancenet they have testers back in stock of this for a good price. Is it still better to get Wonderwood? Any other opinions on this one? I absolutely loved Rush. RIP, lol
    To me it is a 50/50 mix or Rush and Envy.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

I think it smells like Gucci Rush for about five minutes, then it turns to more a Gucci Nobile style scent. To my nose, there's just a tiny hint of Gucci Envy in it,
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I think it smells like Gucci Rush for about five minutes, then it turns to more a Gucci Nobile style scent. To my nose, there's just a tiny hint of Gucci Envy in it,
    Regards,
    Renato
    I haven't sampled Nobile, but I got a woody ginger vibe out of Envy which bored me but it does have it's fans. That being said, I wish Gucci would discontinue their 2008 and beyond bottles and bring back their old stuff.

[QUOTE= That being said, I wish Gucci would discontinue their 2008 and beyond bottles and bring back their old stuff.[/QUOTE]

You got that right.

Basenotes Junkie

Bumping up this good thread. I just blind bought a bottle of Sartoriale on Amazon in my final attempt to find a decent replacement to Gucci Rush.

Do you think this was a good move?

On earlier recommendations, I acquired Wonderwood (closest to Rush yet) and Azzaro Visit, which is nothing like Gucci Rush I remember... I am always open to good cedar/sandalwood scents more generally, and Rush was THE BEST one I ever had. Azzaro Visit was a miss... I also got Quorum Silver in the same order and it is now in free give away thread. If no one claims it, I will perhaps leave in a bathroom of a local public library...
    Last edited by JimmyP; 5th August 2014 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
    Bumping up this good thread. I just blind bought a bottle of Sartoriale on Amazon in my final attempt to find a decent replacement to Gucci Rush.

Can't hurt if you got it cheap.
    The closest scent I ever found to Rush was Trend PH by Les Copains. I doubt you'll find it anywhere though.

I still have a 20ml and a 50ml bottle of Rush which I ration out.
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Junkie

Can't hurt if you got it cheap.
    The closest scent I ever found to Rush was Trend PH by Les Copains. I doubt you'll find it anywhere though.

I still have a 20ml and a 50ml bottle of Rush which I ration out.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Yeah, I paid $35 for it shipped and hope this would be a good addition to my wardrobe anyways, even if not similar to Rush after all. I was just thinking that because Azzaro Visit was a disappointment, even at $18. I am not so hot with blind buys lately.

On earlier recommendations, I acquired Wonderwood (closest to Rush yet) and Azzaro Visit, which is nothing like Gucci Rush I remember... I am always open to good cedar/sandalwood scents more generally, and Rush was THE BEST one I ever had. Azzaro Visit was a miss... I also got Quorum Silver in the same order and it is now in free give away thread. If no one claims it, I will perhaps leave in a bathroom of a local public library...
    Yes! You are so right.. I have been on the same quest as you! I love the scent of Gucci Rush but find the poor projection and longevity very dissapointing.. Only if Rush was more potent it would be the best scent ever! Anyways, Wonderwood is the closest fragrance I have found, but it is darker, spicier, and does not have that unique "popper" opening that Rush has.. Azzaro Visit is very different from Rush but it does give me a similar "vibe" if you know what I mean.. I have not tried Sartoriale but please let us know what you think of it?

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by DolceThaDon View Post
    Yes! You are so right.. I have been on the same quest as you! I love the scent of Gucci Rush but find the poor projection and longevity very dissapointing.. Only if Rush was more potent it would be the best scent ever! Anyways, Wonderwood is the closest fragrance I have found, but it is darker, spicier, and does not have that unique "popper" opening that Rush has.. Azzaro Visit is very different from Rush but it does give me a similar "vibe" if you know what I mean.. I have not tried Sartoriale but please let us know what you think of it?
    Will most certainly do! It was shipped today, can't wait to get it!

It's a very nice scent.

I love the scent of Gucci Rush but find the poor projection and longevity very dissapointing.
    Rush is a very deceptive scent. When it first came out I posted the exact same thing as you about it here several times. I could only get about two hours out of it before it disappeared.

Then one day I had to post a public retraction. This occurred after I sprayed some Rush on and went to the beach for about 8 hours, going in and out of the water frequently. Rush disappeared quickly as usual. But 12 hours later when having a shower, I was suddenly strongly engulfed with Gucci Rush. Clearly it hadn't really disappeared after two hours. I think it reactivates with perspiration.
    Regards,
    Renato

nice scent with a weak duration, prefer Penhaligon's Sartorial which is quite similar but stronger!

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    nice scent with a weak duration, prefer Penhaligon's Sartorial which is quite similar but stronger!
    My penhaligons sartorial arrives today. I've read it smells like a more upscale Brut. Does it smell more similar to Rush?

never smelled Rush..but I can assure you it has nothing to do with Brut, it is delicate and very sophisticated not too heavy on sillage,maybe!

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I've read it smells like a more upscale Brut.
    Wherever you read that - make sure you don't read anything from there anymore, as the person plainly does not have a clue or has a very defective nose.
    Regards,
    Renato

We're going to have to disagree there.

Wherever you read that - make sure you don't read anything from there anymore, as the person plainly does not have a clue or has a very defective nose.
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Junkie

Regards,
    Renato
    I think he was referring to penhaligons fragrance... Needless to say, that's irrelevant here

Rush is a very deceptive scent. When it first came out I posted the exact same thing as you about it here several times. I could only get about two hours out of it before it disappeared.

Then one day I had to post a public retraction. This occurred after I sprayed some Rush on and went to the beach for about 8 hours, going in and out of the water frequently. Rush disappeared quickly as usual. But 12 hours later when having a shower, I was suddenly strongly engulfed with Gucci Rush. Clearly it hadn't really disappeared after two hours. I think it reactivates with perspiration.
    Regards,
    Renato
    I understand what you are saying, I think it had to do with moisture or perspiration, but unfortunately Rush never lasted more than 3 hours on my skin.. Rush after about 30 minutes is dried down right on your skin, and you can barely smell it.. Even right after you spray it, it is hard to even smell the scent if you are not putting your nose inside your shirt " I spray on my chest".. But the scent of Rush itself is so amazing and addictive.. If only Rush had the projection and longevity that its female counterpart has I am sure it would have done better.. It was the first Gucci fragrance out of Envy and Pour Homme to get discontinued and I think that had to do with its poor performance..

I understand what you are saying, I think it had to do with moisture or perspiration, but unfortunately Rush never lasted more than 3 hours on my skin.. Rush after about 30 minutes is dried down right on your skin, and you can barely smell it.. Even right after you spray it, it is hard to even smell the scent if you are not putting your nose inside your shirt " I spray on my chest".. But the scent of Rush itself is so amazing and addictive.. If only Rush had the projection and longevity that its female counterpart has I am sure it would have done better.. It was the first Gucci fragrance out of Envy and Pour Homme to get discontinued and I think that had to do with its poor performance..
    guess you are right!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I have both PZ Sartoriale and Rush for Men and can say they smell quite similar but are not identical. In terms of sillage and longevity Sartoriale is better, but doesnt beat the Rush experience, IMO.

Pen's Sartorial, on the other hand, does reminds one of Brut, but is not as close in smell to Brut as Fred Hayman's Touch for Men is.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Thanks for the clarification perfaddict. Nice thoughts!

Basenotes Junkie

Out for delivery!! ))

Basenotes Junkie

GOT IT!

Gotta say, this was well worth it! Absolutely great and is right up my alley! Somewhat similar to Gucci Rush, but even more similar to Gucci Envy, IMO.

Highly recommend adding this to anyone's collection.

Update: Scratch the above. About 2 hours into wearing it on my hand, it smells just like Gucci freaking Rush!

Mindblowin'
    Last edited by JimmyP; 7th August 2014 at 11:56 PM.

GOT IT!

Gotta say, this was well worth it! Absolutely great and is right up my alley! Somewhat similar to Gucci Rush, but even more similar to Gucci Envy, IMO.

Update: Scratch the above. About 2 hours into wearing it on my hand, it smells just like Gucci freaking Rush!

Mindblowin'
    I am so confused.. First i hear people say it smells like Rush than I hear it compared to Envy.. Rush and Envy are completely different from eachother so I dont understand.. It has to smell like one or the other right? Please give us a more in detail description..

Basenotes Junkie

I am so confused.. First i hear people say it smells like Rush than I hear it compared to Envy.. Rush and Envy are completely different from eachother so I dont understand.. It has to smell like one or the other right? Please give us a more in detail description..
    Basically, at the top this smells deceptively different from the rest of the journey. In the first 10-15 minutes after spraying I was tricked into thinking this was slightly like Envy, a bit of a rough and somewhat spicy opening. Once the top notes move out, the scent becomes one of the driest sandalwoods I ever smelled! Very much like Rush. Kinda makes me think of dry woods in the sauna. Sticks around for quite some time, sillage is just about like Rush or maybe even better..

Now that I think of it, Azzaro Visit COULD HAVE achieved that if not for all its funky spices. Spices in Visit are quite overwhelming, but PZ basically dries down to a very clean, dry and linear santal...
    Last edited by JimmyP; 8th August 2014 at 10:03 PM.

Basically, at the top this smells deceptively different from the rest of the journey. In the first 10-15 minutes after spraying I was tricked into thinking this was slightly like Envy, a bit of a rough and somewhat spicy opening. Once the top notes move out, the scent becomes one of the driest sandalwoods I ever smelled! Very much like Rush. Kinda makes me think of dry woods in the sauna. Sticks around for quite some time, sillage is just about like Rush or maybe even better..

Now that I think of it, Azzaro Visit COULD HAVE achieved that if not for all its funky spices. Spices in Visit are quite overwhelming, but PZ basically dries down to a very clean, dry and linear santal...
    That makes some sense.. It sounds very nice.. Unfortunately my favorite part of Rush is the opening.. I love the cypress lavender opening with that strange chemical "popper" note.. I wish that one of these similar fragrances had a similar opening to Rush.. But none of them have the same opening.. But I am sure it is a nice scent.. Look at the notes for Sartoriale on fragrantica and tell me if you smell those notes because they look so different from Rush..

Basenotes Junkie

That makes some sense.. It sounds very nice.. Unfortunately my favorite part of Rush is the opening.. I love the cypress lavender opening with that strange chemical "popper" note.. I wish that one of these similar fragrances had a similar opening to Rush.. But none of them have the same opening.. But I am sure it is a nice scent.. Look at the notes for Sartoriale on fragrantica and tell me if you smell those notes because they look so different from Rush..
    To be honest, notes breakdown on fragrantica don't make sense. At the very least, the mid and and base should be switched. There is no way there are the florals in the basenotes of Sartoriale. Second, most of the stuff on that list I can't detect anyways... Maybe some apple and citrus on top..

As for the opening of rush, I'm afraid it is one of a kind and is irreplaceable as of now :'(

GOT IT!

Mindblowin'
    Glad you had a good outcome.
    Renato

Basenotes Junkie

Glad you had a good outcome.
    Renato
    "Good" is an understatement

Planning to be getting another bottle. Just in case. I figured why not - I really love this and the price is right, but that might not be for too long since the supplies are going to dry up eventually (if it is indeed discontinued).
    Last edited by JimmyP; 11th August 2014 at 08:42 PM.

GOT IT!

Mindblowin'
    had Sartoriale for more than a year and could not notice similarities with Envy.. on the other hand Ambra Nobile smells a great deal as Gucci Envy for men!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    I have both PZ Sartoriale and Rush for Men and can say they smell quite similar but are not identical. In terms of sillage and longevity Sartoriale is better, but doesnt beat the Rush experience, IMO.

Pen's Sartorial, on the other hand, does reminds one of Brut, but is not as close in smell to Brut as Fred Hayman's Touch for Men is.
    Agreed on all points.

Basenotes Junkie

had Sartoriale for more than a year and could not notice similarities with Envy.. on the other hand Ambra Nobile smells a great deal as Gucci Envy for men!
    Some hints of Envy early on in the opening. After that, in the heart and base, there is massive santal. Very much like Gucci Rush IMO.

"Good" is an understatement

Planning to be getting another bottle. Just in case. I figured why not - I really love this and the price is right, but that might not be for too long since the supplies are going to dry up eventually (if it is indeed discontinued).
    I suspect you are right about supplies drying up as it is hard to find in shops (I didn't want to buy it blind on the internet). Last year I found only one bottle of it, in one shop in one small town (Asiago) that we were wandering through in Italy. They didn't have a tester, but the price was 14 Euros, and I thought that at that price a blind buy was warranted.
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Plus

I am waiting for Sartoriale to arrive.

Has anyone smelled Colonia Purissima, Viaggio d`Africa, Concept No 18?

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    I am waiting for Sartoriale to arrive.

Has anyone smelled Colonia Purissima, Viaggio d`Africa, Concept No 18?
    Concept no 18 is very unusual and intriguing, give it a try!

Basenotes Plus

Concept no 18 is very unusual and intriguing, give it a try!
    Thanks Francolino. I actually ordered those together with Sartoriale.

I own Viaggio d'Africa. In the drydown it smells identically to Hermes vetiver tonka and I really like it, but quality is definitely on Hermes side.

Basenotes Junkie

Gave this some more proper wearings and cant get enough of it, its THAT good...

Question - did anyone notice how drastically different it smells on paper and on skin? From paper it seems a lot like Carven Homme with a dab of Envy until it progresses to a more woody heart. But I feel like it never fully develops on paper and on skin it is somehow a much more amazing sandalwood? I mean, wow... I have not come across a scent like this yet...

Edit - The sillage is disappointing me more and more... Unless of course I am getting used to it and stop detecting it.
    Last edited by JimmyP; 18th August 2014 at 02:15 PM.