Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 39 of 39
  1. #1

    Default Please help me identify a scent?

    I was in a nightclub last night and smelled the most amazing to-die-for cologne I have ever smelt. I have smelled it before, in passing...But this time it hit me like a sledge hammer because I could linger in it. I couldn't pluck up the courage to ask what it was - generally I'm a shy person - and now I'm kicking myself. I just have to know what it was.

    I realise this is quite possibly next to *impossible*, but I was hoping you guys could throw some names at me so that when I go to the perfume department (Harrods in London), instead of smelling everything under the roof I can have a hit list.... and who knows, maybe I'll get lucky!

    I'm loathe to describe it using perfume terms because a. I'm not that experienced with them and b. I don't want to prejudice your suggestions!

    I can describe its qualities (forgive my gushing in advance) - it had this lightness and airiness about it BUT it projected - considering it was a crowded nightclub dance floor, it was unmistakeable. It didn't assault your nose like a lot of modern fragrances do - they kind of announce themselves like a loud person in a room. This was subtle and enigmatic. It was elegant, refined and sophisticated without smelling "old fashioned". If I had to use any narrower terms, I might describe it as powdery and MAYBE, maybe, a floral... but I could be wrong! It was just unlike anything I've ever smelled and it certainly didn't smell like anything generic and mass produced you would find in a chain drugstore.

    Any suggestions to put on my list would be greatly appreciated - thank you for your expertise!

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    Quite clearly you are talking about Aventus.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    This has crossed my mind - it will be the first one I test - thanks

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    Quote Originally Posted by sjw View Post
    This has crossed my mind - it will be the first one I test - thanks

    Welcome.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    Hmm, you were in a club, and a fragrance "hit you like a sledgehammer". My instincts tell me it was either Le Male or 1 Million. Could it be?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    I am the exact same as you, and I know exactly what you mean. One time I was hanging in a hospital waiting room and this gentleman had this fragrance that just screamed loud around the room. I tried to figure out on my head what frag it could be based on smelling the notes. Clearly, at this point I still am not sure what it was considering I was shy to ask and might be awkward to ask. I'm thinking it could highly be possible it was Aventus knowing its powerful projection and longevity. I thought it would have been L'Eau D'Issey but not sure if it was, then I thought maybe its Allure Sport, I was just running frags through my head as I was taking a wiff of what was this scent flowing throughout the room. Anyway, I'd give Aventus a shot, I just ordered 6 samples to test out the next couple weeks before I buy a bottle. I must say though it is quite a great feeling when someone approaches you to figure out what you're wearing or even ask you what you're wearing, but if you want to keep it a secret, keep it to yourself. Good luck mate.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Hmm, you were in a club, and a fragrance "hit you like a sledgehammer". My instincts tell me it was either Le Male or 1 Million. Could it be?

    " It didn't assault your nose like a lot of modern fragrances do - they kind of announce themselves like a loud person in a room. This was subtle and enigmatic. It was elegant, refined and sophisticated "

  8. #8

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Hmm, you were in a club, and a fragrance "hit you like a sledgehammer". My instincts tell me it was either Le Male or 1 Million. Could it be?
    +1 for 1 Million. This one also screams out loud. I also own a bottle of it too.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Hmm, you were in a club, and a fragrance "hit you like a sledgehammer". My instincts tell me it was either Le Male or 1 Million. Could it be?
    It wasn't either of those... My wording may have been a bit off - the scent itself didn't hit me like a sledgehammer, I guess the experience of smelling it did... it was a "Holy mother of God" moment... feels a bit ridiculous because I've never reacted like this with a fragrance before but I guess that's the magic of them

    Thanks bnbsports - though I'm quite sure it wasn't either of those (I've owned Allure Sport)... I have a good feeling about it being Aventus - I did test it once, quite a while ago, I remember liking it on the card but maybe it's the type that comes to life on skin - and if so I don't think I'll be able to resist whacking it on my credit card there and then! Ouch...
    Last edited by sjw; 24th March 2013 at 09:50 PM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    "It was elegant, refined and sophisticated "
    My bad, couldn't be Le Male or 1 Million.

  11. #11
    Dependent heperd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    4,752
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    just test the top 10 best sellers in your area and you should find it.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

  12. #12

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    terre d'hermes

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    8,577
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    Elegant, refined, sophisticated. A touch floral. And a touch powdery. Sounds like Dior Homme.
    Or Caron Troisieme homme, but the likelihood of that appearing on younger folks is pretty nil.

    Of course, the guy could have simply worn Chanel No 5, which satisfies all the conditions and works well as a masculine too.

    cacio

  14. #14
    Overcome By Fumes
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    3,129
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Elegant, refined, sophisticated. A touch floral. And a touch powdery. Sounds like Dior Homme.
    Or Caron Troisieme homme, but the likelihood of that appearing on younger folks is pretty nil.

    Of course, the guy could have simply worn Chanel No 5, which satisfies all the conditions and works well as a masculine too.

    cacio
    Yup.

    May be worth sniffing Eau Sauvage Parfum or La Nuit de L'Homme as well.

  15. #15
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    269
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    Try Amouage Dia. I know Dia is woody , but the sillage of it is deceiving as floral to my nose , but I am not experienced.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    So... it turns out it was Aventus.

    I see it has something of a cult following on here and equally so, plenty of haters... I have to say, I'm a very willing convert. I can't stop sniffing my wrist. Thanks for all the suggestions..

  17. #17
    david's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cote dŽAzur
    Posts
    2,206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    Quote Originally Posted by sjw View Post
    So... it turns out it was Aventus.

    I see it has something of a cult following on here and equally so, plenty of haters... I have to say, I'm a very willing convert. I can't stop sniffing my wrist. Thanks for all the suggestions..
    Mother of God !
    " If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun ". Katharine Hepburn.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    Quote Originally Posted by sjw View Post
    So... it turns out it was Aventus.

    I see it has something of a cult following on here and equally so, plenty of haters... I have to say, I'm a very willing convert. I can't stop sniffing my wrist. Thanks for all the suggestions..
    Wow the moment of release I felt when I read this. OMG. I'm incredibly happy for you and I know you feel like a million bucks right now. This is why I love Basenotes.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    Quite clearly you are talking about Aventus.
    Top marks for the first guess being right. Very impressive as not a note was even mentioned.

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Top marks for the first guess being right. Very impressive as not a note was even mentioned.
    Let's just call it "cynical intuition"....

  21. #21

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    How'd you find out it was Aventus? Much better chance of it being a designer IMO.

  22. #22
    treeman5823
    Guest

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    Glad you found it.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    LoL, sure....

    Anyway...



    A V E N T U S

  24. #24
    Nersh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    2,154
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Mother of God !
    +1 on Mother od God.

  25. #25
    Super Member Sicktrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Bucharest
    Posts
    105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    Quote Originally Posted by suppressor View Post
    lol, sure....

    Anyway...



    a v e n t u s
    omg that gif!!!
    www.smellandtell.wordpress.com <-- my rookie perfume review blog.
    Last review: Histoires de Parfums - 1740
    Say hey!

  26. #26
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    74
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    Let's just call it "cynical intuition"....
    I assumed it was a joke guess given these forums and the cracks at Aventus!

    Go figure. I would have guessed Dior Homme.

    As a side note: I am a twenty something and Caron's Troisieme Homme is maybe my favorite frag! =P

  27. #27

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sicktrick View Post
    omg that gif!!!
    Yes!!! Lmao

  28. #28

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    Quote Originally Posted by SirSmells View Post
    How'd you find out it was Aventus? Much better chance of it being a designer IMO.
    I went to Harrods, went straight to the Creed counter and asked to test it.

    Having tested it before, a long time ago - I think there was some kind of memory of it... so when martinijo suggested Aventus, something clicked.

    I know it seems like a joke but it really wasn't. I've been a long time lurker for years - check in every now and then.. though I haven't checked in for a while, and having gone through a few pages I see the "reputation" Aventus has (it seems to have taken over somewhat...), and I completely understand martinijo's cynical intuition! Sorry it's turned into another Aventus thread!
    Last edited by sjw; 26th March 2013 at 06:48 AM.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    I smell a rat

  30. #30
    Why So Serious?
    HackerX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,354
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    Quote Originally Posted by sjw View Post
    I went to Harrods, went straight to the Creed counter and asked to test it.

    Having tested it before, a long time ago - I think there was some kind of memory of it... so when martinijo suggested Aventus, something clicked.

    I know it seems like a joke but it really wasn't. I've been a long time lurker for years - check in every now and then.. though I haven't checked in for a while, and having gone through a few pages I see the "reputation" Aventus has (it seems to have taken over somewhat...), and I completely understand martinijo's cynical intuition! Sorry it's turned into another Aventus thread!
    Lurker for years? You've been here since Jan 1970 according to your join date!! Lol, just messin with you!
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Creed Spice & Wood
    5. Bond 9 Harrods Oud

  31. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I smell a rat

    If you are suggesting that sjw and I conspired to promote Aventus you should maybe take a look at my recent posts.
    You will see that I am quite possibly the last Basenotes user who would do this.
    I despise the Creed companies PR. and think Aventus is overrated.

  32. #32
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    64
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    Of course it had to be Aventus, the most divine and amazing scent ever created. It is IN FACT the very smell that was used in the last scene of Perfume: The Story of a Murderer movie. And yes, I love it

  33. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    101
    Post Thanks / Like

    Angry Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    Quite clearly you are talking about Aventus.
    Oh BROTHER....

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by sjw View Post
    It wasn't either of those... My wording may have been a bit off - the scent itself didn't hit me like a sledgehammer, I guess the experience of smelling it did... it was a "Holy mother of God" moment... feels a bit ridiculous because I've never reacted like this with a fragrance before but I guess that's the magic of them

    Thanks bnbsports - though I'm quite sure it wasn't either of those (I've owned Allure Sport)... I have a good feeling about it being Aventus - I did test it once, quite a while ago, I remember liking it on the card but maybe it's the type that comes to life on skin - and if so I don't think I'll be able to resist whacking it on my credit card there and then! Ouch...
    Your description was nothing like Aventus...and unless you are trolling trying to stir up yet another Creed thread, you were not smelling Aventus. There is nothing powdery about it.

    WHY OH WHY DO I LET MYSELF GET SUCKED IN...

  34. #34

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    You can troll me about it. Call me dumb. Call me an idiot. I don't care. This forum is "worked" by people employed by Creed. That's a fact, ladies and gentlemen.

  35. #35

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    Quote Originally Posted by Danielstripedtiger View Post
    Your description was nothing like Aventus...and unless you are trolling trying to stir up yet another Creed thread, you were not smelling Aventus. There is nothing powdery about it.

    WHY OH WHY DO I LET MYSELF GET SUCKED IN...
    Please, I can assure you, I'm not a troll.

    Honestly.. and as far as my description is concerned - as I said in my first post - "I'm loathe to describe it using perfume terms because a. I'm not that experienced with them and b. I don't want to prejudice your suggestions!"

    I love fragrances but I'm not really confident enough to use the terms properly.. I just said what I thought it might be. Which is why I tried to describe the qualities...

    Sorry for (completely unintentionally) stirring things up! I'll leave this thread to die now. It's somewhat amusing the strength of feeling this cologne works up, but I get why it must be annoying, when everyone keeps banging on about it. Again - thanks for the help to the first few posters I really do appreciate it.

  36. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    I'm not sure I can cope with the irony.

  37. #37
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    64
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    And the 1 million dollar question - do you intend to buy a bottle for yourself now?

  38. #38

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    Quote Originally Posted by sjw View Post
    Please, I can assure you, I'm not a troll.

    Honestly.. and as far as my description is concerned - as I said in my first post - "I'm loathe to describe it using perfume terms because a. I'm not that experienced with them and b. I don't want to prejudice your suggestions!"

    I love fragrances but I'm not really confident enough to use the terms properly.. I just said what I thought it might be. Which is why I tried to describe the qualities...

    Sorry for (completely unintentionally) stirring things up! I'll leave this thread to die now. It's somewhat amusing the strength of feeling this cologne works up, but I get why it must be annoying, when everyone keeps banging on about it. Again - thanks for the help to the first few posters I really do appreciate it.
    I love users with only a few posts who rave about Aventus as if it is a godlike creation.
    I'm certainly looking forward to more posts of you.
    Please don't disappear like the others.

  39. #39

    Default Re: Please help me identify a scent?

    What can I say...AVENTUS is BOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMBBBBB!!

Similar Threads

  1. Please help me identify this scent!
    By 0Phoenix0 in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 24th February 2013, 09:26 PM
  2. Where to find a person to identify scent
    By HelenaSylee in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10th July 2012, 08:05 AM
  3. Identify the scent in Carins Body Lotion?
    By melodyjayne in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 22nd May 2011, 05:21 PM
  4. Need your help to identify this gorgeous scent.
    By KiatBkk in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 15th November 2009, 11:38 PM
  5. Need help to Identify Scent
    By loveisintheair in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28th April 2009, 03:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •