Code of Conduct

Default Like certain records Are Scents at first disliked eventually loved?

Your views please

Default Re: Like certain records Are Scents at first disliked eventually loved?

Can only speak for myself - Whatever scents I purchase I like from the beginning to end without exception.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcabmal View Post
    Your views please
    Not in my personal experience no.
    Though the opposite has happened with me from time to time.

On occasion, I may begin to really like a fragrance I did not like at first, but in the vast majority of cases, if I like it, it will be right off the bat.

I don't need to see a woman 4-5 times before I decide if she is beautiful or not. I don't need to see a landscape 4-5 times before I determine if I like it or not. Same with a fragrance.

happens all the time.

I have a bag of 100+ samples that I like to revisit from time to time and am always pleased when I find something I didn't think I liked the first time that has now become intriguing or better. Some of these that i later bought full bottles of are Musc ravageur and MKK (obviously took a little while to like musks), Cartier Declaration (at first I smelled off oranges, but then it turned to rich spicy dark citrus), LM Vetiver Extraordinaire (I had liked the really fresh vetivers, but it took a while to revisit this truly extraordinary vetiver).

Others have gone the opposite - gotta have a bottle only to become bored soon after.......

Has gone either ways...Montale Black, hated the rash opening, till I revisited the sample a week later and waited for the mid / dry down phase and now, love it.

Had experiences with many frags where I liked the opening but didnt like how it progressed thru the mid & dry down...

I find myself gravitating back to the classics, and liking them much more than I did when first sampled.

Banned
    Blog Entries

drakkar was hated in my early years. now it's tolerable and might purchase a mini or a few samples for the hell of it.
    Last edited by Tony T; 25th March 2013 at 12:25 AM. Reason: misspelled words

Hated a few that I now like. Encre Noire is the first that comes to mind.

It can happen, but not often for me. I didn't like Rocabar at first, but over time some nice memories became associated with it, so I associate it with happiness and like it now. Same thing happened when I got a vintage bottle of KL Homme. I'm now basically ok with the fragrance, but a lot of that has to do with an accumulation of pleasant associations with it.

The only fragrance where I went from hating it to being completely in love with it is Musc Ravageur. That just doesn't happen spontaneously with me, ever, so I can't explain it. It went from nearly last place to more or less first place. I have no idea why.

Overcome By Fumes

It happens, both ways, but not very often. There are some where the initial impression is that something is weird or complicated but not good, which is more likely to make its way to the liked category. If something seems bland, trite, and simple, I can be sure I won't like it later.

It happens to me with very "challenging" fragrances on the 3rd or 4th wear from a sample. Some of them are so oblique or different I don't really wrap my mind around it. This was the case for Mona di Orio's Cuir, and many from the Humiecki & Graef line. I'm wearing Blask for the fifth or sixth time now from a sample, and I've gone from "huh, well this is underwhelming," to head over heels. There are other fragrances though that are love at first sniff. Many from Amouage and Parfums MDCI are examples.

treeman5823

Not if the perfume is bad.

Yes, it happens from time to time. I hated Derby the first time I smelled it, and though vintage Bel Ami was boring as hell, but now love both.

Sometimes the other way too - Bulgari Black, Musc Ravageur, ...
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I found some perfumes difficult at first, but with time and a lot more smelling experience, I think I'm just more open to everything. My comfort zone has widened. But I admit I came into this hobby a couple of years ago with some very rigid notions of what I'd like and dislike. I was wrong, and I'm glad I know that now!

In my opinion: it happened infrequently and not too strikingly so far, but there have been occasions of reevaluating scents I disliked or was neutral about.

just like records, very rarely do i need time to warm up to something. if i don't like it immediately, chances are i just wont.

Yes, it does happen sometimes. As my nose evolved and my tastes changed several fragrances I disliked at first have become favourites.

I needed time to appreciate many of the older Carons. They start out with a cacophony of notes that was very startling the first few times I tried them. I liked them well enough to suffer through the unpleasant top notes, and now I've come to like them from top to bottom

In my case it wasn't a particular perfume. It was mostly the genre itself. I could not tolerate tuberose but now I am infatuated with it.

for swap/sale:

Still waiting for Encre noire and bulgari black to grow on me. Not yet ...

A few years ago I pretty much disliked Rose 31 and Vetiver Extraordinaire but having revisited them from old samples I'm liking them more and more.

When I was a newbie, I had bad first impressions about Hammam Bouquet (too feminine) and M7 (the cough syrup). But I changed my mind and now they are among my favorites.

Felt that way about Rectoverso Man Tea Tobacco.

Basenotes Plus

Not just like certain records; like certain anythings in life.