Code of Conduct

Default Loving Cuir d'Arabie, but my wife swears it smells just like a popular women's perfume!

After testing Leather Oud, Tuscan Leather, Knize Ten, Cuir Russie I think I've finally found the perfect leather for me in Montale's Cuir d'Arabie, which smells like the buttery rich leather interior of a new Bentley. However my wife swears it smells just like a currently-popular women's perfume; I'm less interested if that's the case but does anyone have any idea what perfume she might be thinking of? Thanks!

Default Re: Loving Cuir d'Arabie, but my wife swears it smells just like a popular women's perfume!

It doesn't smell like any perfume I personally have ever smelled on a woman before.

Default Re: Loving Cuir d'Arabie, but my wife swears it smells just like a popular women's perfume!

No idea whatsoever. Popular or rare; male, female or unisex, I've never smelled anything like Cd'A.

I'd love to hear what fragrance it is that it reminds her of.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    It doesn't smell like any perfume I personally have ever smelled before.
    Fixed.

From my knowledge, the only leather marketed strictly as feminine is Bandit, which is not a new fragrance and does not smell anywhere near CdArabie, Bandit is a wonderful frag, worn by many men, but I can't see a lady wear this Montale...

Chanel's leathers, while marketed as feminine, are unisex, like almost all the Chanel's...

Nothing similar on the market. I wish there were... Please ask what she's referring to.

Current female perfumes are either scrubbed white florals, or sticky fruity florals, both at the opposite end of the olfactory spectrum from Oud Cuir d'Arabie rich and dirty leather (there is something more than a Bentley leather to my nose, unless something else has happened in said Bentley).

It is in the very general neighborhood of some old leather oriental, none of which really survives. Stuff like vintage Tabu, or vintage Youth Dew plus leather. To my nose, not really the magnificent Bandit, which is green (and very niche).

In sum, if she doesn't like it, you should find a way to wear it when she's not around. If she likes it, reassure her that nobody's going to think you smell like a lady.

cacio

Banned

It doesn't smell like anything similar, i can substitute it by Tribute, that beautiful oud smell...

Maybe just as an idea bvlgari black?

she's just wrong that's all

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Nothing similar on the market. I wish there were... Please ask what she's referring to.
    Yeah of course she can't name it so I'm certain she's confusing it with a smell from her childhood or something. Fortunately the perfume world is big enough that there's room on my shelf for a lot of stuff she loves, and a few things she doesn't care for!

It reminds me a little of Patchouli 24 from Le Labo but Cd'A is unique for sure. I find myself constantly feeling the need to smell it when I spray it on my wrist.

Maybe because of some flower (rose) or patchouli prominent notes?

Your girl be trippin'.

Its been my experience that women's hormones can play all kinds of tricks on the olfactory system, especially during menopause. From a distance, the drydown of Aoud Cuir d'Arabie turns more musky floral like vintage Cabochard, etc, but she probably isn't referring to anything like that.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Your girl be trippin'.
    ((giggle))
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

It is in my top 3 favorite frags, Love the fecal opening and leather dry-down. Longevity/projection monster...doesn't smell like any women's frag I smelled, perhaps a tiny bit like the unisex dark Aoud, also by Montale.

I would like to know what she is smoking jk, Cuir d'Arabie is a dirty testerone laden leather scent.