Code of Conduct

Default Pineapple, Green Mango or Figs?

Guys, I've finally given in and stopped avoiding Aventus. I lost the battle. I've just ordered a sample. But I would like to talk about the fragrance's merits.

Before the advent of Aventus, there were quite a few very modern fragrances with realistic fruit notes. Perhaps the two best examples are Un Jardin Sur Le Nil and Un Jardin Mediterranee. The former is a green mango fragrance and the latter is a sweet fig fragrance. There were also fragrances with realistic apple notes, berry notes, etc...etc....

So, I want to ask you, and I know this has probably been answered many times before: What is it that makes Aventus so special, apart from its pineapple note? Why is it so much better that Un Jardin Sur Le Nil, for example? Isn't it just pineapple together with the regular Creed ambergris drydown?

Please try to convince me. I want to be charmed.

Default Re: Pineapple, Green Mango or Figs?

Birch tar. The leathery smokey aspect of Aventus makes it what it is. The so called "royal pineapple", doesn't really smell like pineapples to me.

I personally never felt it was ever anything special - just a very nice scent and glad I own it.

Hippo, is it smokey like in Knize Ten, or is it more "tamed" and controlled? Does it smell like cigarette ashes?

I also never get the pineapple part from Aventus, but its an excellent frag...Creed is over hyped & over priced as well IMO; but Aventus, Royal Oud, Bois du Portugal, Tabarome & MI from this line are easliy FB worthy, if bought with ebates & a 15-20% discount from fragrancenet or other online stores, spending 250 is well, better left unsaid...

Why I like Aventus - Apple start, floral smoky middle and a nice ambergis, light vanilla oak mossy dry down. It lasts really well on my dry skin, which is a huge +...Its complex and well done, which many frags fail to accomplish.

badarun, can you elaborate on the smoky middle?

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    Hippo, is it smokey like in Knize Ten, or is it more "tamed" and controlled? Does it smell like cigarette ashes?
    Nothing like K10, not nearly as complex. It smells like a Creed Millesime, bright citrus notes with an ambergris drydown.

is it like the delicious edible smoke in Bois du Portugal?

Those other two frags you mentioned in your OP, did nothing for me. Didn't wow me. They smelled ok, but every once in a while a frag really takes you by storm and one of these was Aventus. Aventus absolutely wowed my the first time I smelled it. I smell pineapple, wait kinda smoky? Damn this is interesting. It was a great sample too that I initially smelled, I have to admit superior to the bottle I known, when pressing my nose into my arm (though from a distance differences are negligible). Aventus is King of Fresh scents as far as I am concerned, has potency to boot, as well as utter uniqueness (until Fresco decided to blatantly copy it).

- - - Updated - - -

is it like the delicious edible smoke in Bois du Portugal?
    um idk, since Bois gives me a different vibe, but Aventus to me is grilled smoky pineapple, very edible especially at first sniff

Please try to convince me. I want to be charmed.
    I don't get an overwhelming pineapple note from Aventus - but it is there. Overall, it smells more like newspapers to me, but for some reason, it just works. And my wife goes nuts over it (and she had never heard of it before she smelled it on me, so she was not influenced by any "hype") - I wouldn't have thought it would have been the type of fragrance women like, but the results tell the story.

Anyway, there is no point in trying to convince you -- if you have already ordered a sample, you will find out soon enough, and judge for yourself. Why did you "give in" -- I mean, why were you holding out?

Regarding the Hermes fragrances you mentioned, personally, I find Sur le nil decent (best of the Un Jardin ones) but not anything I would go out of my way for, and Un Jardin Mediterranee to me smells like urine on leaves. One of the most unpleasant fragrances I have smelled. But that really has nothing to do with Aventus...