Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance recommendation

Hello,
    I have NOO experience or knowledge of fragrances.I am desperately searching for a signature fragrance since the one I wore for 20 years changed it's formulation. I wore TOVA which has some bergamot, jasmine, sandalwood amongst others. I am looking for anything clean and head-turning and am willing to try anything. People have recommended alot of common US fragrances but they just don't fit the bill. Open to try different fragrances that aren't too overpowering but still has that clean WOW factor....I'm ok if I can't pronounce the name
    So if you can direct me to above said fragrance(s)/website where i can purchase a sample,I will be eternally grateful. At this point, I don't have a price limit.
    Thanks!
    Nikki

Default Re: Fragrance recommendation

What is TOVA?

Tova by Tova Borgnine Beverly Hills?

Jasmine Rouge has some similar notes to that, if you're after something with similar notes? I've never smelt Tova though, so I don't know whether the two are similar.

As for samples, your best bets are www.luckyscent.com or www.surrendertochance.com,

Banned

Hello Nikki and welcome
    You definitely came to the right place.
    Since you dont mind buying fragrances that you may not be able to pronounce (same here..lol)
    I highly recommend these..

L'Artisan La Chasse aux Papillon Extrême

I just love it when my wife has this one on. It is citrus and floral and definitely smells fresh.
    As a man, I definitely find this scent very attractive and my wife says she does get a lot of compliments when wearing this so it is definitely a head turner. Its a bit pricey so I highly recommend sampling before buying it. Tova also is a citrus and floral scent so I think you might like this one. Smells very modern and rich.

My other suggestion to you is also a bit pricey as well. Now when i say pricey, I am comparing it to the designer scents that you can pick up from any department store for between 40-70 dollars so please do not take his offensive as i have no idea what would be considered pricey for you.

You can also try Tom Ford Black orchid.

It is also spicy like the TOVA. This one is my sister's favorite. she is 30 years old and a mother of two.
    I would call it more on the sweet side. Its a gourmand scent. Very long lasting since it is a Tom Ford perfume.
    It has a bit of chocolate and vanilla in it so it is very seductive

as far as buying samples, there are a few good sites.
    decantshop dot com is a new one that just popped up a few months ago and they offer 10% disocunt to basenoters liek you with the code "basenotes" at checkout.
    the other awesome site is www.surrendertochance.com. much more selection than decantshop but slightly more expensive.

I will post more if i remember more options for you. but these are the ones I could think of right away when I read your post.
    Last edited by Attila; 25th March 2013 at 11:46 AM.

a fragrance that came out in the 80's by Tova Borgnine (Ernie's wife) She sold her company to QVC and it hasn't been the same since. Smells cheap to me.

- - - Updated - - -

you guys rock and are full of awesomeness!!! Thanks for the suggestions and the prompt replies! I will def look into it! I am sooo psyched...I've been on the hunt aimlessly going from dept store to dept store searching for a signature scent without any real direction. I'm so glad I found this site. Will keep you all posted!

Without knowing your taste preferences, I'll go broad and sweeping with designers:

Prada Amber PH- clean, soapy, no idea why it's called Amber.

Fahrenheit 32- Not bad really. Tried it today at Sephora and while I was not personally impressed, I can see some guys liking it.

A lot from Hermes, specifically Terre d'Hermes, Orange Verte, and even Pomplemouse (spelling?) Rose seemed nice when I tried it (though unremarkable).

Burberry London- One I personally really like. Totally different from what you were mentioning, but the tobacco, port wine, and dried fruits are really nice here.

Niche wise, I'd say Original Vetiver would be a good choice.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Without knowing your taste preferences, I'll go broad and sweeping with designers:

Prada Amber PH- clean, soapy, no idea why it's called Amber.

Fahrenheit 32- Not bad really. Tried it today at Sephora and while I was not personally impressed, I can see some guys liking it.

A lot from Hermes, specifically Terre d'Hermes, Orange Verte, and even Pomplemouse (spelling?) Rose seemed nice when I tried it (though unremarkable).

Burberry London- One I personally really like. Totally different from what you were mentioning, but the tobacco, port wine, and dried fruits are really nice here.

Niche wise, I'd say Original Vetiver would be a good choice.
    I thought we were recommending for a lady.

Montale Sweet Oriental Dream

Annick Goutal Grand Amour is a beautiful light hyacinth scent. La Chasse aux Papillons is indeed very much worth trying. Jasmin Rouge from Tom Ford is a great soft jasmine scent, so are Parfumerie Generale Drama Nuui and Love & Tears from By Kilian. For a gorgeous, sparkling iris try The Different Company Bois d'Iris.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    I thought we were recommending for a lady.
    Yes I am allll woman

Blog Entries

Welcome to basenotes, pearls!

lf you love jasmine & sandalwood, l recommend you try Samsara by Guerlain. Definitely an allll woman scent!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Ava Luxe No. 23 is a gorgeous sandalwood with delicate florals.

It's a very clean-feeling fragrance in the sense that it's spare -- it isn't weighted down with a lot of extra STUFF, but not clean like CK1 or some of the other 90s "laundry" fragrances.

Ava Luxe is online only, but her prices are very reasonable and she has a few different sizes and media available. I prefer No. 23 in the EDP.

Basenotes Plus

Seconding the Samsara rec.

guys guys guys

"am looking for anything clean"
    "fragrances that aren't too overpowering"
    but still has that clean WOW factor...."

Montale? Black Orchid?

How about Chanel 5 Eau Premier, Donna Karen Cashmere, Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps
    of like
    Tom Ford - Jasmin Rouge, White Suede, Violet Blonde, hell even the Santal Blush...
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Welcome to basenotes, pearls!

lf you love jasmine & sandalwood, l recommend you try Samsara by Guerlain. Definitely an allll woman scent!
    Well thank you kindly Teardrop! I shall!!