Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SOTD Monday, March 25, 2013

Good morning. Anyone having a slow start?

Here's one way to begin and it is BODACIOUS. I love it! Stunning stuff. Thank you Genie Jeanie for this introduction.

Default Re: SOTD Monday, March 25, 2013

I'm still in bed, wrecked from weekend partying!

I'll join you schilling: I'm breaking open my big bottle of Lyric right now. It'll get me to comb my hair. Thanks for the inspiration!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Schilling View Post
    Good morning. Anyone having a slow start?
    Never anything else on a Monday

SotD is Xerjoff Uden.

Congratulations to 30 Roses on her amazing milestone.

30roses, that's outstanding: CONGRATULATIONS!!

Morning All,

No such luxury of lying in bed for me. Up with the larks (well, my newly resident song thrush actually).

Tabac Blond extrait to get the week started.
    Have a lovely Monday, folks.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Thanks again, Jon!

I'm off to a busy morning wearing L'Artisan Fleur d'Oranger. Dental appointment, then an interview to participate in Literacy Volunteers.

Grand Luxe by Fragonard

Basenotes Plus

30R, big congrats! Keep 'em coming. xxoo

Lolita Lempicka for me.

Wish you all a great start to your week.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

L'Ombre Dans L'Eau on this sunny day

Thumbs up Re: SOTD Monday, March 25, 2013

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Mornings!

Jabu Mona di Orio.
    Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. O.Wilde

Hello everyone -

I'm in 1932. Y'all have a great day!

Here's to 30 Roses and her mighty milestone!

Schilling, Scentsucker - my my, aren't you two smellin' outrageously gorgeous today?! I usually don't save any of my perfumes for special occasions, but for everyday, Lyric somehow just feels so decadent and lavish ...hehe, that actually sounds like a better reason to wear it frequently.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

'morning all.

Testing two of a funny fragrances range I was given samples yesterday at Esxence: O.P.S.O (standing for Officine Produzione Sostanze Odorose- kind of Factory for the production of Smelling Materials-a house based in Parma, a town in Northern Italy http://www.opsoprofumi.com/).
    On left wrist Baiana- a rather interesting peppery, milky, creamy sandalwood; on right wrist Dalila- a nice, well done orange blossoms and white flowers.
    Nothing to scream about, though, as everything else I tested at Esxence...
    Last edited by iodine; 25th March 2013 at 12:15 PM.
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Rectoverso Man Tea Tobacco

Wow, congratulations 30Roses!

Mure et Musc Extreme over the mango body lotion. Mango et Mure et Mure et Musc tres mmm.

^^ Yummy!! You're making me crave a smoothie.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Bonjour!

I'm wearing a little dab of Givenchy III today and I smell great

Good afternoon. I've drained my sample of La Fille de Berlin today. Jammy roses... I think I'll give it a pass. The painting by Rothko represents pretty much how I feel about this fume - ambivalent.mark-rothko-white-center-yellow-pink-and-lavender-on-rose-1348837984_b.jpg
    Do happy

Well done 30Roses on your 1,000th post!
    I always love to read them.

I chose Paco Rabanne XS for her this morning.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Joy, for a civety bombshell on this bleak/gray/chilly NYC morning.

Good morning! Just spent the last few minutes catching up on the SOTD threads. Seriously love doing that, you all make me smile.

Quarry, I loved reading about your staycation! The pictures were great too

I'm wearing my sample of Ta'If by Ormonde Jayne today and love it.

Well done 30Roses on your 1,000th post!
    I always love to read them.

I chose Paco Rabanne Black XS l'Elixir this morning.
    A warm, peppery rose scent. I would love to layer this with
    Sa Majeste la Rose and may well try that combo tomorrow.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

[QUOTE=Schilling;2895268]Good morning. Anyone having a slow start?

Yes, luxuriously so,as I don't start work till later.

Andrea Pregoni's Secraction today. Forget all the performance around it. This is a beautiful fragrance, a lovely satisfying wear.

Basenotes Plus

Good morning!

Wearing VW Boudoir this morning.

Have a great day!

Good morning, everyone And congrats, 30Roses, on #10,000! Nicely done!

Well, I've done it. I've gone and fallen for a discontinued fragrance -- AFTER it was discontinued, but apparently a certain online fragrance shop in California still has bottles available. So I'd better snap one up while I can:

Comme des Garcons Series 1: Leaves -- Lily

Without ever having smelled Diorissimo, this is *my* reference LOTV. It smells just like the protected area of the garden where my mom grew them when I was growing up. Simple, green, and lovely.
    Last edited by ExtremeK; 25th March 2013 at 03:55 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Happy 10K, 30Roses.
    ExtremeK - that CdG lily is true-to-life, isn't it? I struggle with lily notes (many of them sort of turn my stomach) however lily-of-the-valley doesn't. Strange.

Infusion de Vetiver by Prada

"The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Hello everyone~
    I'm new here as you an see, and to the world of perfumes as well... Most of what I have was given to me by others, or bought on blind buys, so the only two perfumes I end up actually using on a daily basis are the D&G Light blue and the Jill Stuart White Floral... Today I chose the D&G Light Blue

I'm 18, first year in college- Have any of you ever went through this phase where you want to try everything, but don't have the resources to be able to, and end up using just one fragrance every day for a long period of time?

Many Cogratulations to 30 Roses on your 10,000 milestone. You really are an inspiration on this fragrant journey of ours!

Congrats 30R!! Wow, 10k!

Welcome chchristyen! I can very much identify. I did a lot of spritzing at perfume counters. The only problem was that we only got designer fragrances, so I didn't even know about this HUGE world of perfume out there. Now I identify as well because there are too many perfumes to try even if I had endless funds.

There are still lots of ways to try perfumes. I ask kind sales associates for samples at perfume counters. I find that many of them are able and willing to help me when they see that I'm passionate about fragrance and asking a million questions. If they are passionate about their job as well, they want you to experience the scent. If they are apathetic and will not give out any samples, I move on.

I also buy samples online from Surrender to Chance, there are many other sites as well. The Perfumed Court, Lucky Scent, aedes de venustas. You can also buy decants, some are sold here on the Forums in the marketplace, some at PoshPeasant, and various other places. Plus often, the wonderful ladies here are doing sample passes so everyone can share their impressions.

I really really recommend sampling first and foremost. I blind bought a few bottles that I probably wouldn't buy now. Now I have a rule that I have to empty the sample, then empty a decant, and if I still love it, then it's a full-bottle contender.

Welcome Welcome, and enjoy the experience of exploration.

30R., marvelous milestone. Keep them coming and many many hugs.

chchristyen, very glad you found us here and joined the BN! You have a wonderful road ahead of you: testing, having fun and learning more about yourself, i.e. personal preferences, scents that "do" it for you. As elizrj said, please try as many as you want/can, do not buy blind. Get yourself a covered box where you keep them samples, it will be the beginning of your own library of fragrances. Also join fragrance passes -- an excellent way of testing perfumes and discussing them with fellow-minded wearers.

Guerlain Les Secrets de Sophie for me today.

Happy Monday all! OK, I remembered Bonsai's back of the wardrobe challenge, and reached back there and picked Roma by Laura Biagiotti. I've not worn this since 4/11 Oops

Welcome chchristyen! Hang around for a while! We have fun, and you are sure to learn a lot while you are at it.

ExtremeK, just wait for Q. to see your post, I am sure she would have to say a line or two about CDG Lily. (Did not "do" it for this skin, though!).

There was a real party at Koko in London last night for the Michalis Hatzigiannis concert from which my feet need some hours of recovery. So that and it being a national holiday for me (back home) ..........wearing the appropriate Jardins De Kerylos.

Scent tonight for our party will Portrait of a Lady.

Congrats 30roses on your 10,000 posts.
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Angelitos Angel's Love for the the back of the wardrobe challenge.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Thank you for your congratulations,, ladies and gents!

Welcome to Basenotes, chchristyen!

Resources will not always be so limited, and by then you will have acquired more knowledge about fragrance so you know what you like and what you don't.

Use testers when you are able to get to shops, and take notes on your impressions and reactions; then research the ones you tested.
    When you can, request free samples (we have a thread about that: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/206...-Companies-Now.)
    Participate in sample pass groups which are posted from time to time, and keep an eye on threads offering freebies.
    If you must, buy samples-- but this adds up fast.

All the time, think about what you smelled and what your reactions were. Then, when you are in funds, you can concentrate on buying only the perfumes you truly love.

Thank you, Twolf and cello Will keep in mind to get a box for samples instead of having them rolling around on my shelf all the time..

Blog Entries

Hello all,

Congrats on your impressive milestone, Roses!

Welcome to basenotes, chchristyen!

l wore Black XS (the men's version) for work today, for the "back of the wardrobe challenge".
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Welcome to Basenotes, chchristyen.

Basenotes Plus

Glad to see you join us on the SotD thread chchristyen

SotE - Cotswold Perfumery Amber.

Congratulations, 30 Roses! Our little corner of the internet is a better place by having you!

Welcome, chchristyen! You've already just gotten the best advice; definitely do not rush to buy lots of bottles. The decanting sites are great, not just for samples but for larger decants of scents which you may like but don't wish to shell out for a whole bottle. Do sample in store as much as possible first, though; this will help narrow down your tastes so you don't waste resources purchasing lots of dud samples. Now is the time to focus on sampling and learning more than purchasing. And what a fun stage it is-enjoy the journey!

Still on a journey of my own, finding tuberoses that work for me. Re-visiting Fracas today; nope, still not it. Schilling will inherit this sample soon; maybe she can find it some love.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Urgent news update!

Lucas passed the exam retake, got the score of "4"

Congratulations Lucas and 30Roses, and welcome chchristyen!

SOTD:

DSH Cuir et Champignon - love a good leather scent, love the uncanny mushroom accord.
    Last edited by rowan-; 25th March 2013 at 05:45 PM.

Blog Entries

Woohoooooooo, Lucas that's fantastic, well done!!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and great suggestions! I have taken note of all of your suggestions I am really enjoying seeing what everyone chose to wear today!

And Congratulations 30 Roses, especially to a newbie like me it is so amazing how much you have contributed to this site! :O thank you for leading me to the samples thread

Evening All,

Welcome to Basenotes, chchristyen ! Officially the coolest nook of the web, doncha know.
    Well Done, Lucas. Now you need to figure out how best to celebrate
    Cuir de Russie ( Exclusifs EdT ) tonight.
    Best to everyone.

Basenotes Plus

Great news, Lucas

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Wonderful news, Lucas! (What does score of "4" mean?)

BBW ~ Japanese Cherry Blossom.

Blog Entries

SOTE is Stoned by Solange.

Basenotes Institution

It's a vetiver day

Sampling, for the 1st time, from a decant from Joe (petruccijc)

Vetyver by Carlo Corinto

"The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Hello again!

Well, without even waiting for an invitation, I'm joining gandhajala in his Cuir de Russie ...I'll try to keep my elbows to myself g, but you've gotta shove over just a bit.

Hi chchristyen - welcome to basenotes!

^Smelling fab up there, Mrs.E !

Sampling Chamade by Guerlain today. I absolutely adore it!!! A beautiful, very well-crafted scent IMHO, wonderfully balanced and--surreptitiously-- bold and distinctive. Have enjoyed every stage of it. Woo hoo!
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Why, thank you very much, Dr. g ....likewise, I'm quite sure!

Oh, and you're smelling quite gorgeous too, misscasey! Chamade is simply one of the best perfumes in the whole world, and one of my two personal favorite Guerlains. Have fun with that one - it's really something special.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 25th March 2013 at 07:12 PM.

I agree, Evangeline. I think I may have embarked on a very special relationship. This is good stuff! Makes me want to get rid of all my other samples and grab a full bottle and spray away.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Tom Ford - Neroli Portofino

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    ... then an interview to participate in Literacy Volunteers.
    You and Lilybelle share another trait. Haven't I said BNers are special?
    Quote Originally Posted by elizrj View Post
    Quarry, I loved reading about your staycation! The pictures were great too
    You're so sweet.
    Today I finally listened to the CD my cousin sent with the interview with Mom in '01. Not traumatic at all. Time hasn't warped a thing. Mom and I are still solid. She was great. Cousin included some other audio bits, including an uncle's "Christmas message home" in 1945 from his tour in the Pacific. The Navy actually cut vinyl records for this purpose.

Family comes home tomorrow, so I'm doing a quick immersion into the rest of the samples. First impressions…
    JM Redcurrent & Cream: Delicious, sharp, but not especially perfumey.
    JM Elderflower & Gooseberry: Pleasant enough, but not too interesting initially.
    JM Earl Grey & Cucumber: Odd. Just odd. And not pretty.
    FM Dries Van Noten: Patchouli and cheap new furniture.
    iPdF Violetta di Bosco: Smells very much like Zents Earth. No violet vibes for me.
    Laurence Dumont Vanille Violette: Tooooo sweet and over-the-top vanilla. Move along, no violet here.
    RM Impossible Iris: Can't jump to any conclusions. Fork in the road -- could go either way.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by misscasey View Post
    Sampling Chamade by Guerlain today. I absolutely adore it!!! A beautiful, very well-crafted scent IMHO, wonderfully balanced and--surreptitiously-- bold and distinctive. Have enjoyed every stage of it. Woo hoo!
    Strangely, one of the few Guerlain feminines I have not smelled yet. Enjoy!

Quarry, I smelled those JM's too this weekend (dropped into Neimans for a bit). The only one that really called my name was the new feminine Hermes, Jour de Hermes, wow I loved it! Enjoy the last drops of your Alone Time Before The Family Returns. ((bear hugs))

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

I am wearing a sample of SL Cedre.
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!