Code of Conduct

Default Patchouli lovers?

I have been asked about a patchouli scent with a little something to tame it and not being a patchouli lover myself I draw a blank. Any fragranistas out there who got a thing for patchouli that can help me out?

Default Re: Patchouli lovers?

Chanel Coromandel is always my first thought any time patchouli comes up - it's just simply the most elegant and luxurious patchouli perfume I know of, and not at all reminiscent of headshop patch. It's not a dirty, or mentholated patch either, so it might be just the "tame" sort of patchouli you're looking for. I like it just fine in blends, but I'm generally not really a huge patchouli soliflore lover ...but Coromandel makes me think I am.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

My favourite patchouli scent is Givenchy Gentleman, and I don't care that it's supposedly a men's fragrance.

Agree Coromandel, or the Mazzolari Patchouli one is sweeter & more feminine imo.

I love patchouli and some of my favs are:

Montale - Patchouli
    (Leaves), Réminiscence - Patchouli / Elixir -- mainly patch and amber
    Villoresi - Patchouli -- a dry herbal patch
    Nicolai - Patchouli -- a "classic style" scent with patch in the background

I enjoy ambery/sweet patchoulis or soft patchoulis, so my favorites are Mazzolari Patchouli (as an example of the former), as well as Parfumerie Generale Intrigant Patchouli and Etat Libre d'Orange Nombril Immense (as examples of the latter).

I strongly agree that Chanel Coromandel is a fabulous patchouli-centered fragrance. Coromandel is elegant and smooth and oh-so-beautiful.

I admit to being very fond of smooth/rich Patchouli perfumes. The rough, herbal Patchouli has its attractions, but I am much more drawn to the former style.
    Here are some of my favorites:
    Prada by Prada

L'Artisan Patchouli Patch

Etro Patchouli

Les Nereides Patchouli Antique

Krigler Lovely Patchouli

Montale Patchouli Leaves

Reminiscence Patchouli

Divine L'Imperatrice

Agent Provocateur L'Agent

Jessica Simpson Fancy Nights

Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir

Estee Lauder Sensuous Noir

Calvin Klein Euphoria

Yves Rocher Neonatura Cocoon

Totally agree with the above Chanel Coromandel suggestions. I love a nice patch note, but seldom like a patch dominant scent. Coromandel hits all my buttons. LOVE!

L'Artisan Patchouli Patch is another smooth and fairly easy patch fragrance.

I second Prada and Coromandel.

Patchouli in a light dose can be found in Histoires de Parfums' „1826 Eugénie de Montijo”. Lovely with the violets blended in.

Darker and with a hint of wet earth is „Psychédelique” by Jovoy Paris.

And last but not least the perfume oil by Jalaine „Patchouli”, which is warm, dry and soft and because of it's carrier substance without those hippie-headnotes. It has a pleasantly non-gourmandish touch of dark chocolate.

Blog Entries

l would add Patchouli lmperial by Dior; a lovely, smooth patchouli with no sharp edges or headshop earthiness.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I second Coromandel and the Nicolai. Both have clear patch, but they are rich perfumes in the classical tradition, with no feel whatsoever of headshops. Coromandel is warm and smooth, the Nicolai is a little acidic and woodier.

And I also second the Dior. In addition to the Patch imperial, which is primarily patch, I'd also mention Mitzah, which is an amber with patch, so even smoother.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Another thumbs up for Coromandel. In addition, Ulrich Lang Nightscape is an ethereal patchouli which strays into unisex territory despite the male categorisation. Anyone looking for a lighter interpretation should consider giving it a try.

You all are soooooo awesome!! Thanks so much for the recommendations, my friend will be thrilled!!

A different approach of patchouli which really worth trying is Mon Patchouli from Ramon Monegal

Coromandel is the most beautiful patchouli out there, IMO.

Some softer patchouli scents are:
    Keiko Mecheri - Patchoulissime
    Juliette Has a Gun - Calamity J.
    Etat Libre d'Orange - Nombril Immense

Anne Pliska and I Profumi di Firenze - Ambra del Nepal are two beautiful patchouli-amber scents.

Midnight Poison Elixir, Portrait of a Lady Frederic Malle.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Evody Ambre Intense is a beautiful amber/patch combo

Here are some of my favorite patchouli perfumes: ( In no particular order )

High End:
    1) L' Artisan Parfumeur - Patchouli Patch
    2) Serge Lutens - borneo 1834

Mid Range:

3) Tom Ford - Black Orchid
    4) Chanel - Coromandel
    5) Dior - Midnight Poison
    6) Victor&Rolf - Flowerbomb
    7) Agent Provocateur - L'Agent
    8) Estee Lauder - Sensuous Noir

Inexpensive but awesome!!

9) Queen Latifah - Queen ( I don't care that this can be bought for a song on Ebay, its wonderful!! smells very very expensive.
    10) Queen Latifah -Queen of Hearts ( I love this too!!!) These both smell very high end niche brand!
    11) Dana - Tabu I just adore this old time scent!! so darn sexy and seductive...very intriguing!
    ****Making the world a better place One Scented Hug at a Time.... ****

I love patchouli, my favorite patchouli fragrances are Coromandel, Coco Noir, Lady Vengeance, Allure Sensuelle, NR For Her EDP.

Maybe not extremely 'feminine' but here are my favorites:
    L'Inspiratrice
    Midnight Poison
    Une Rose Chypree
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Recently bought smell bents She wolf, which has plenty of sweet candied patchouli, stirred up with some citrus, lavender and plenty of musk. Still fresh enough to be a daytime fragrance , special but not offensive. Plus the prices are more Than reasonable!
    I think it would do as a first step to get to know patch better

Chanel Chance - men love this perfume! Chance Eau Tendre OR Chance Eau Fraiche to tame it.

Blog Entries

I completely agree with those who suggested Coromandel; one of the best uses of patchouli in a fragrance in my opinion.

Thumbs up Re: Patchouli lovers?

Il Profumo PATCHOULI NOIR
    Montale PATCHOULI LEAVES
    Reminiscence ELIXIR DE PATCHOULI
    Mazzolari LUI and PATCHOULY
    Chanel COROMANDEL
    Santa Maria Novella PATCHOULI
    Last edited by ROBERTO; 30th March 2013 at 11:53 AM.
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Basenotes Member

What does patchouli smell like?

If I got it right, you're looking for a tamed patchouli and not a straight forward one...if that's right, several of the suggestions above will definitely be no-go for you. I'll second Coromandel as one of the smoothest around and I'll add Cozè which is enriched by subtle gourmandic nuances, green undertones and woods. Very outdoorsy, airy and sophisticated...

If you want to experience a real patchouli that's not too earthy, give a chance to Von Eusersdorff Classic Patchouli. An incredible comfort scent. Outstanding balance, superb quality.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

For a fancy patchouli, Coromandel.

For a straight up dank patchouli try the trio from Reminiscence.

for swap/sale:

Patchouli Indonesiano and Lovely Patchouli 55 Night are my favorites
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    2. Patou Pour Homme Prive
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114
    8. Clive Christian No. 1
    9. Jardin d Amalfi
    10. Eau de Patou Pour Homme

My favourite patchouli scent is for men Madness Chopard and for all Encre Noir - it is great that this is very near Sycomore.

Coromandel is my absolute favorite patchouli scent! I also like SJP's Lovely, but it's pretty strong.

I also enjoy Dior Midnight Poison, which was a pain to track down when I was looking for it, but I see that 99Perfume has it in stock now.

Quote Originally Posted by sfmedusa View Post
    My favourite patchouli scent is Givenchy Gentleman, and I don't care that it's supposedly a men's fragrance.
    I was actually asked if I was wearing this one day...but I was wearing some patchouli from the local whole food store.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    What does patchouli smell like?
    I'll do a small analogy here.

When we were growing up, if we asked what anything tasted like, my mum had an answer.

'Mum, what do prawns taste like?'

'Well, you know what roast beef tastes like?'

'Yes.'

'Well nothing like that.'

How do you describe a scent without actually smelling it? The simple answer is that you can't. Patchouli is what most people think that the whole decade of the 1970s smelled of, but I suspect that there was a whole load of dope smoke and body odour mixed in there too
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

A little late, but I have a sample of Atelier Mistral Patchouli, and it's lovely. It opens with patchouli, but not overwhelming, and then anise, which is a lovely combo, and then dries down to a nice, feminine, clean musk. It says unisex, but I'd say more feminine.
    Last edited by Galatea8; 27th April 2013 at 11:08 AM.

treeman5823

Borneo 1834. Patchouli and chocolate.