Code of Conduct

Default Hermes Santal Massoia and varying experiences

This seems to be a scent where longevity and sillage issues vary.

I would appreciate any comments. It is a lovely scent. (The bottle states 75% alcohol, so it seems to have a lot of fragrance oil.)

My experiences vary based on weather and temperature.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Hermes Santal Massoia and varying experiences

It's an odd one, alright.

It appears to come and go but I have found after several hours that walking into a warm room, or even just rinsing a coffee cup under hot water the steam will set it off. I think it's actually quite a solid piece of work despite the relative transparency.

I own this and personally have no longevity problems with it.

I did have longevity issues with it, at least to the point where I had to press my nose against my wrist in order to smell it one hour after application. Nice but I'll stick with the more "powerful" Hermessences.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Thank you for the kind replies.

This seems to be a polarising scent.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Its there but its very transparent and like mr.reasonable says. Having a hot beverage will ignite the projection for a good hour or two.

for swap/sale:

I'm excited to try this one and my sample should be in this week.
    I have my doubts on the claims on how bad the longevity really is. I think a better way of really determining longevity is another's perception rather than your own since sometimes we become numb or asnomic to what we wear.

I used to work with a girl who claimed she couldn't smell her perfume often and yet I could notice when she came into the office without even seeing her!
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

As always with Hermes; Excellent stuff!

Basenotes Institution

Many of the Hermessences have that phantom-effect when it comes to their sillage/longevity. Suppose it has to do with something that Jean Claude Ellena does intentionally.

I happen to think that in comparison to the other Hermessences, this one is above average in terms of projection/longevity. I also like it because it smells wonderful when I'm sweaty - unlike many sandalwood scents.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Many of the Hermessences have that phantom-effect when it comes to their sillage/longevity. Suppose it has to do with something that Jean Claude Ellena does intentionally.

I happen to think that in comparison to the other Hermessences, this one is above average in terms of projection/longevity. I also like it because it smells wonderful when I'm sweaty - unlike many sandalwood scents.
    My experience with them as well. Santal MassoÔa is my SOTD, and it surrounds me in a brilliant aura of milky sandalwood
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

My good friend works down at wall street in NYC, and gave me their santal sample. Luxurious and better executed tam dao. Lasted 3 hours on me otherwise this is my favorite hermes scent.

Basenotes Institution

Wore this yesterday (at the beach, BBQ, etc) and it has that unique knack of coming off transparent, woody & slightly tropical. It sort of reminds me of how a fancy tanning cream might leave your skin smelling after rinsing off & heating up your skin.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Wore this yesterday (at the beach, BBQ, etc) and it has that unique knack of coming off transparent, woody & slightly tropical. It sort of reminds me of how a fancy tanning cream might leave your skin smelling after rinsing off & heating up your skin.
    Yeah, the lactones from the massoÔa bark, and the sandalwoods own slightly coconutty vibe, can give a sort of pseudo-tropical feeling I love the trademark JCE transparency of this, as it works wonders with these notes!
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108