Code of Conduct

Default Friend in town, need some suggestions

My good friend is coming for a visit and wants to find some good frags while she's here (her hometown has a pathetic selection) . I'm still a total beginner, so I was hoping for some ideas of what I need to make sure she checks out. We're going to be hitting Nordstroms, so a better selection than she currently has, but we'll be limited to what they have (they do have Creed, so there is that).
    She loves florals and fresh scents, not too big on musk or powder. Her current faves are Fabulous by Isaac Mizrahi and Clinique Happy Heart. So what are some scents we should make sure to try?

Default Re: Friend in town, need some suggestions

It would really help if you said where you're located....

(Edit - ah, you've updated your profile!)
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 25th March 2013 at 06:15 PM.
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

From your description of what she likes, I would take her over to the Jo Malone counter and let her try the testers. Also the Annick Goutals.

Nordstrom will decant samples of anything for you, so be sure to take advantage of taking home samples of anything she likes.

Oops! Messed up when I tried to save my profile.
    Nope, not trolling. If wanted to do that I would say something about Creed and hype
    Anyway, I think we will hit the Jo Malone. I'm relatively familiar with that line and I think she might enjoy it. I'm guessing she'll like Spring Flowers and Love in White too, just hoping you guys can help me know a few other houses/scents to check out since I am so new at this and since the selection available gets a bit overwhelming.

Perhaps some of the Cartiers she might not have where she's from.

The Jo Malones tend to be quite fleeting, so keep that in mind.

I also second Goutal, if your Nordstrom carries it. Her style is light and floral, so most of their offerings should do. Examples could be Songes, Heure exquise, Grand Amour, Petite cherie, etc

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    The Jo Malones tend to be quite fleeting, so keep that in mind.

I also second Goutal, if your Nordstrom carries it. Her style is light and floral, so most of their offerings should do. Examples could be Songes, Heure exquise, Grand Amour, Petite cherie, etc

cacio
    Thanks! I will definitely check out the Goutals...I'm pretty sure they have some. I agree about the JMs being fleeting. She's got a few light florals and is looking to find something with more silage. A date night frag, if you will. Forgot to mention she also loves Pink Pepper notes...not sure if that helps. I know she doesn't like gourmand or orientals.

The above Goutals, except Petite Cherie, should have adequate sillage. Thinking about floral, pink pepper, etc., some Nordstrom, but not all, also carry an extended Guerlain line, in which case l'Heure Bleue would also be interesting to try.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Show her whatever Hermes and Cartier they have.

Be sure to check out Chanel's Les Exclusifs. If your local Nordstrom's carries them, they're a must.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Be sure to check out Chanel's Les Exclusifs. If your local Nordstrom's carries them, they're a must.
    I thought Les Esclusifs were "exclusive" to Chanel.com only.
    Or am I misinformed here?

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    They're exclusive to Chanel boutiques and I know of at least one boutique that is located in a Neiman Marcus.

Overcome By Fumes

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    Misinformed. They can sometimes be found in certain upscale department stores.

Check out Cristalle and No. 19, and if the exclusives are present No. 22 and the Eau de Cologne as well. Items from the Guerlain Aqua Allegoria line can be worth visiting as well.

Banned

got it. thanks guys

There's a thread about shopping in Salt Lake City here:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/192...highlight=utah

Basenotes Member

You can never go wrong with Elizabeth Arden. If we're talking about freshness and that certain clean scent, the perfume defines it!
    www.luvessentials.com

If she likes floral make sure she tries Elie Saab Le Perfum. Also Narcisso Rodrigeuz line is great

So we had our fragrance adventure this morning and I thought I'd report in on what we found and what she liked!
    First, thank you all SO much for the great suggestions! I had, unsurprisingly, not heard of many of those. Sadly, many of the above mentioned lines were not there, so we had to make do. No Goutals or Cartiers and precious few Chanels

Her top three ended up being Valentino Valentina, Creed Acquia Fiorentina, and Creed Love in White. I think she's going to test them some more and we'll head back to pick up the top pick on Monday.

I did get to sniff Jour D'Hermes, which I really enjoy and may need to go back for a sample of. Also a Balenciaga, though he didn't write down the full name. The big stand-outs for me were Houbigant Orangers en Fleurs and Creed Fleur de Gardenia (though the longevity of the Creed keeps me from shelling out that kind of cash). Apparently I like florals more than I had originally thought.