Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bond no. 9

Default Bond no. 9

I know i'm in a huge minority here... but really prefer Chez Bond over GIT as my daily scent... may just be my skin chemistry more than anything. What others from Bond do you like? trying to find another from them to try for the summer season... i think when fall rolls around I'll give New Haarlem a go.

Default Re: Bond no. 9

I've tried maybe a dozen Bond No. 9 scents. There seems to be some note that is used in most of their scents that just does not sit well with me. I had to almost immediately scrub Bleecker Street off.

I did not have such an immediate bad reaction to New Haarlem, but my wife doesn't like sweet scents. New Haarlem is like you poured maple syrup on yourself. I find that it smells good for a short amount of time, but I don't want to smell like breakfast for hours

I really like I Love NY for Marriage Equality.

New York Amber
    Riverside Drive

Bn9 is a strange House...I've tried 20+ of their frags...I'm obsessed with the longevity/projection that they have. BUT I have only found a few I like well enough to buy FB...NY Amber, and NY Musk. I liked several others...but most had an artificial grape/plum chemical note that pervaded the whole dry-down.

I own GIT, but will be buying Chez Bond when I'm out. I prefer it as well by just a hair (and no worries about batches or longevity). I just sold my bottle of New Haarlem. I just got tired of it. I like -

Riverside Drive (and this combined with Fire Island is a great combo I stumbled upon when sampling the other day)
    Andy Warhol (good plum scent)

There are many others which I liked, but they all had a similar DNA.
    Tom Ford Private Blend Splits Costa Azzurra / Mandarino Di Amalfi / Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

Of all the ones from this line I've tried only Riverside Drive appealed to me, but not enough to buy.

Basenotes Member

Eau de New York is an underrated summer scent, you should try and get a sample!

Tried a few of them. Just tried Washington Square yesterday. Nice! Listed as feminine, but could be unisex IMO.

Andy Warhol and New York Oud are the top 2 from this house.

Just got riverside drive and a few samples in the mail. Samples include Success, west side and Brooklyn

Of the ones I have tried, Fire Island is my favorite because it's a fun, different kind of scent. It's supposed to smell like Bain de Soleil tanning gel. I guess some people wouldn't want to smell like that, but I like that about it.

I own and like these:

New Haarlem (though sometimes feels too sweet)
    Washington Square
    Andy Warhol
    Bleecker St

I like Chinatown as a fragrance but find it too feminine to wear myself

I really enjoy I love NY for all, great coffee scent.

I have tried a handful of Bonds, I own Bleecker Street which I enjoyed and New Haarlem which I sampled and wasn't impressed with, after a few more tries I ended up liking it and picked up a bottle though.

Eau de New York was my first Bond which was a blind buy and I ended up getting rid of it. The juice was quality and smells good but it reminded me of one of those dryer sheets you throw in with your clothes as they dry to make them smell better..which smells good but not something I am looking for in a fragrance.

Wall Street is ok at first but works very very bad with my skin, almost a wet dog smell. Then I tried Hamptons which came off to me as a lesser version of SMW. I have tried a couple others at the department store but none stood out except Bleecker Street. Although I would like to try Chez Bond again.

CologneFan85

Chez Bond is better then GIT IMO

New York Amber
    New York Oud
    New Haarlem
    Eau De New York
    Montauk
    Silver Factory

These are my favorites from the line.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

I went for a mass Bond smelling session and didn't really find any I like, and I smelt the entire range. I ended up walking away with samples Wall Street, Sag Harbour, and Coney Island (for a bit of fun).

Did not like Wall Street one bit when it was actually on my skin. Good job it faded within a couple of hours. I'm yet to try Sag Harbour but I hope it lasts a bit longer (and smells a bit better) than Wall Street.

I expected myself to like Chez Bond, Fire Island and Bleeker Street, but none really popped out at me.

I agree with you about Chez Bond. While I love GIT, I reach for Chez Bond a bit more often - It has a touch of tea that really adds an additional dimension, and it lasts a little longer.

Love:
    Bleecker Street
    Chez Bond
    I Love New York for Marriage Equality
    New Haarlem
    New York Amber
    New York Oud
    Eau de New York

Like:
    New York Musk
    Montauk
    Sag Harbor
    Riverside Drive
    Manhattan
    I Love New York for Fathers
    High Line
    Coney Island

OK:
    Success is a Job in New York
    Silver Factory
    Saks Fifth Avenue for Him
    I Love New York for Him
    I Love New York for All
    Great Jones
    Eau de Noho
    Cooper Square
    Brooklyn

Dislike:
    Wall Street
    So New York
    Little Italy
    H.O.T. Always

Amazing compositions - but very feminine. Love these on my wife:
    Astor Place
    Chinatown

All Bond No. 9 fragrances are very long lasting.

Montauk is one I need to sample again.

I too have sampled many of their scents, but only found a few that I truly enjoy. I ended up deciding to save my money and just bought a bunch of the bon bon samples from eBay instead of shelling out the big bucks on a bottle.

Here are the ones I like, in order of my preference:
    1. Harrods Amber - very smooth, light amber scent. It's New York Amber but with a lower concentration. However, I prefer this over NY Amber.
    2. I Love New York for Marriage Equality - IMO, a very underrated fragrance. I really like the nutmeg note.
    3. New York Oud - a very nice rose fragrance. Some find the notes synthetic, but I like it. It's a projection & longevity beast.
    4. New Haarlem - this one is okay, but overrated. As others have mentioned, it's basically just maple syrup in a bottle. I don't get any coffee notes in this either. I do overall like the fragrance though.
    Last edited by CaliDude; 26th March 2013 at 06:00 AM.

Spring/Summer

Brooklyn
    Bleecker St
    Hamptons

I own both Brooklyn and Bleecker St.

As far as Bond's overall selection they don't have much to offer. They have a vast selection of fragrances but only a few fbw. Personally New Haarlem has two much cheaper alternatives which smell better imo! If you want a gourmand from Bond no.9 I would say I Love NY for All would fit the bill. I may go back into my Bond no.9 sample box from last year to sample away and see how my tastes have enhanced/nose has matured.

Personally, I enjoy Wall Street, of which I own a full bottle. I hated Wall Street initially due to over-applying. I have to test Eau de New York a little more but my initial thoughts are that it is quite nice. Riverside Drive was just mediocre to me. Fire Island on the other hand really didn't do anything for me...smells like the beach towel of a Jersey girl...not my thing.

Quote Originally Posted by LizardKing View Post
    Montauk is one I need to sample again.
    Montauk is particularly good for a 'semi-aquatic' imo.

No mention of Nouveau Bowery -- a lovely refreshing zingy lime -- great for summer.

I have Wall Street, New Haarlem, and Brooklyn. My favourite by far is Brooklyn. Really interesting, unusual scent that constantly changes & plays tricks on me. Absolutely love it. Overpriced though IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    I have Wall Street, New Haarlem, and Brooklyn. My favourite by far is Brooklyn. Really interesting, unusual scent that constantly changes & plays tricks on me. Absolutely love it. Overpriced though IMO.
    I definitely agree Brooklyn is my favorite as well.... this fragrance hits you from a million different angles, nothing on the market like this one imo. I do think that for what it offers it is priced fairly...not retail though.... $150 for 3.4oz boxed is a great deal!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Personally I like Chez Bond a lot, but I prefer Green Irish Tweed much more.

New Haarlem is my favorite fragrance of the house.

The Bond no 9 house has a variety of good scents, however, they are expensive.

Out of the dozen or so Bond's I've tested, Riverside Drive has been my favorite. I like it, but don't love it, although I have gotten some very positive responses when wearing it. I have a 25 ml decant that will likely last me for quite a while. Told myself if I can go through that & still enjoy it enough, then I'll spring for a full bottle.

I also do like New Haarlem (really liked it at first, but then my enthusiasm began to lessen with each wear), although I just don't find myself reaching for my decant of it very often at all. At times, the coffee note is just too strong for me to pull off, and the drydown can become overly sweet and cloying if over-applied in even the slightest amount. It's one of those fragrances I tend to enjoy every once in a great while, when at home for the day...just one light shot to the chest and enjoy the journey for the day. Craving satisfied for a while.

I actually liked Coney Island as well, but it just came off quite feminine on my skin. I know Bleecker Street is raved about here on BN, but for some reason this one does terrible things on my skin and smells like a combination of cat pee and old lady B.O. for the first hour or so. Overall, though, I think Bond no 9 has some very nice, high quality fragrances, with good presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Montauk is particularly good for a 'semi-aquatic' imo.

No mention of Nouveau Bowery -- a lovely refreshing zingy lime -- great for summer.
    I need to sample Nouveau Bowery... Trumpers Lime is one of my all time favorites (wish it would last more than 30 min!)... how do they compare? Also going to try Gramercy Park today (another that doesn't get mentioned much)...
    Last edited by Popgeer; 26th March 2013 at 03:38 PM.

Only Bond's I enjoy:

Brooklyn (own full bottle)
    Bleecker Street
    Fire Island
    I Love NY for All
    Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    Andy Warhol
    Current obsession...Invasion Barbare

Quote Originally Posted by Popgeer View Post
    I need to sample Nouveau Bowery... Trumpers Lime is one of my all time favorites (wish it would last more than 30 min!)... how do they compare? Also going to try Gramercy Park today (another that doesn't get mentioned much)...
    To me, NB smells like eau d'orange vert vy Hermes without the annoying papaya notes. It smells great and is similar to miller Harris tangerine vert.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    To me, NB smells like eau d'orange vert vy Hermes without the annoying papaya notes. It smells great and is similar to miller Harris tangerine vert.
    Hmmm -- interesting. To me NB is more like LB&M from Jo Malone and eau d'orange vert is more related to Little Italy and TV but hey its all perceptions.

Popgeer -- I got a full long day out of Nouveau Bowery -- similar to Trumpers uptop though.

I heard Bn9 discontinued their association with Andy Warhol...they will rename all the frags associated with his name

Silver Factory is awesome
    LOOKING FOR DECANTS OF ANY O. Durbano, ANY Hilde Soliana, BOISE VANILLE, COLOGNE POUR LE SOIR, MUSC RAVEGEUR, AND ROSE 31 TO SWAP:.:wink

Quote Originally Posted by Danielstripedtiger View Post
    I heard Bn9 discontinued their association with Andy Warhol...they will rename all the frags associated with his name
    They already have.

I'm a huge fan of Bond, and I agree that Chez Bond is better than GIT, in my opinion of course, but that being said, I'm not a big fan of either Chez Bond or GIT, I think they are great frags, just not my style.
    My Favorites:
    New Haarlem-I think it lives up to the hype...it is just what I wanted it to be and more when I first smelled it. People claim that there are cheaper frags that smell the same, I don't agree. Rochas Man-yep, hate it, New Haarlem-Love it. If they smell the same then I'm confused why one repulses me and the other amazes me...I'm just sayin'.
    ILNY Marriage Equality-The first time I smelled it, I didn't like it, I gave it a whiff a few months later and I love it. I don't know what changed.
    Little Italy-Far from Bond's most popular but I love it...straight up citrus that lasts, it's awesome!!
    Coney Island-This one is a polarizing frag-you either love it or hate it it seems. I love it! It's got a sweet and salty thing going on that is amazing!
    ILNY For All-I love it, but it gets cloying on me fast so I don't really wear it. I love it for about 1 hour, and then I want it off.
    Silver formerly known as Silver Factory-Fantastic incense!! I will be getting a full bottle soon...very soon.

And the one's that my wife loves and I love on her:
    Lexington Avenue-It smells fantastic on her!
    Scent of Peace-This is her sort of signature Bond. It's amazing on her too!!
    Madison Square-Her only floral fragrance that she likes...but she doesn't just like it, she loves it!!

There are a few others that I like and a few others that aren't so great, but over all I'm a big fan of Bond no 9!

Bleecker Street is my favorite from the Bond line. Also have grown to appreciate Silver Factory. Want to try Montauk and Sag harbor.

I Love NY for Fathers is my fave. Of course, my wife and boys bought it for me for Fathers Day in NYC last year! Great memories. It was our first ever trip to the Big Apple.

Like the way a few of them smell (Hamptons, Chez Bond, Sag Harbor, NH and Riverside Drive) but they give me massive headaches. RSD i can tolerate in small does.

Quote Originally Posted by Danielstripedtiger View Post
    I heard this too, but it no longer seems like the case considering Andy Warhol is available again on Bond's website:

http://www.bondno9.com/shop/eau-de-p...l-by-bond-no-9

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    I heard this too, but it no longer seems like the case considering Andy Warhol is available again on Bond's website:

http://www.bondno9.com/shop/eau-de-p...l-by-bond-no-9
    Perhaps they're getting rid of as much stock as they're able? They may not be producing anymore, but they may try to still sell them all while they can.

Saks Fifth Avenue has the new bottles on their website.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

The Nordstroms here in Utah only has the new bottles, no more of the Andy bottles.

I like 3, Hamptons, Coney Island and Wall Street. I have samples of Wall Street (8) but bottles of the other 2. I heard about this next thing, so I tried it. I took 4 of the samples I had of Wall Street, and bought a few more of Coney Island to get 4 of those. I then poured one Wall Street and then one Coney Island into an atomizer and alternated until all 4 were poured in. It's very good, seems like it brings out the best in both of them. Tough to explain but smells good. I tried 1 spray of Coney Island on my arm and then 1 of Wall Street over it, but that seemed to have Coney Island overpower Wall Street, as I was smelling too much Coney Island (not a bad thing, but I'd wear Coney Island by itself if I wanted to do that.) I didn't get that when pouring them together. The newer samples I got of Coney Island had a sprayer attached, and it was very difficult to remove in order to pour. I actually used pliers to do it.

Everything seeks its own level.... and you just found yours.

I'm surprised that dougczar is the only one (from what I read) that even bothered to mention Chinatown. This is the absolute best fragrance (IMO) from this house - hands down. I'm a straight man and I wear it off and on. Sometimes it does feel way too feminine and I shy away from it, but I love it so much that I have to wear it from time to time. If you've never tried it or have never smelled it on a woman, get a sample and put a bit on yourself or your girl and sniff away. It's good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by xoml View Post
    I've tried maybe a dozen Bond No. 9 scents. There seems to be some note that is used in most of their scents that just does not sit well with me. I had to almost immediately scrub Bleecker Street off.

I did not have such an immediate bad reaction to New Haarlem, but my wife doesn't like sweet scents. New Haarlem is like you poured maple syrup on yourself. I find that it smells good for a short amount of time, but I don't want to smell like breakfast for hours
    They often use an artificial grape/plum chemical note that permeates their frags, making them unwearable. Riverside Dr. Bleeker St. to name a few. Some people don't smell it or don't mind it, but I can't stand it. I love their longevity, and tried 20+ different Bn9s until I found NY Amber and NY Musk, which I like very much.
    Wall St smelled Exactly like when I run my mower over my watermelon/pumpkin patch at the end of the season to mulch up the vines. I like the smell, just not on me. New Haarlem had one note...a sort of cinnamon/nutmeg, something...it wasn't listed in the notes, but it put me off. Coney Island smells nice, just not on me. If it were cheap, I'd use it as a room spray. NY Oud was ok, but I like Montale's Ouds, so it seemed generic.
    Last edited by Danielstripedtiger; 27th March 2013 at 09:03 AM.

Wall Street
    Manhattan
    Riverside Drive
    Bleecker Street
    Silver Factory
    Asks For Him
    West Side

So I did like I said and went in the sample box for Eau de New York, I must say that my tastes have changed since last year when I wore this.

This stuff is smells better than I remember, definitely leaning more toward feminine due to the sweetness of the floral, it reminds me of a grape popsicle. A confident man can definitely pull it off and have it yielding some masculinity. Fresh, floral I call it. I wouldn't buy a full bottle though, just not my style.

I did more sampling yesterday... starting to think that about 1 in 10 from Bond work on me. I tried:
    New Haarlem - I totally get the whole maple syrup thing... just doesn't sit well on me
    Fire Island - like it but too feminine (at least on me)... goes really floral
    Great Jones - I like it ok... but not sure I would buy it. Reminds me of #2 Spiritus by Miller et Bertaux.
    Gramercy Park - I like it ok too... seems to be the only Bond I've tried that doesn't last. Nice but nothing special.
    Nouveau Bowery - Really, really like it... doesn't transform much but is a great fresh/lime scent... wearing it today. I think I'll buy this one.
    I love New York for Marriage Equality - hmmm... just not sure... need to wear it for a full day. Didn't seem to blend well but it could have been nose fatigue on my part. I'll report back on that one...

I did more sampling yesterday... starting to think that about 1 in 10 from Bond work on me.
    Happy sampling. Yeah, I feel the same way regarding Bond. The overall impression I get from them is that they're more "quantity" than "quality".

The ones I do truly enjoy are few and far between.

Yep, a real shame...They project/last like crazy. I wish I liked more than just 2 or 3 out of the zillion they make...

I did more sampling yesterday... starting to think that about 1 in 10 from Bond work on me. I tried:
    New Haarlem - I totally get the whole maple syrup thing... just doesn't sit well on me
    Fire Island - like it but too feminine (at least on me)... goes really floral
    Great Jones - I like it ok... but not sure I would buy it. Reminds me of #2 Spiritus by Miller et Bertaux.
    Gramercy Park - I like it ok too... seems to be the only Bond I've tried that doesn't last. Nice but nothing special.
    Nouveau Bowery - Really, really like it... doesn't transform much but is a great fresh/lime scent... wearing it today. I think I'll buy this one.
    I love New York for Marriage Equality - hmmm... just not sure... need to wear it for a full day. Didn't seem to blend well but it could have been nose fatigue on my part. I'll report back on that one...
    Spot on, I'd say. Glad you liked NB. Stick with ....Marriage Equality one of their better offerings imo. 1 in 10 is about the same for me. Creed has a higher success ratio than that!!

New Haarlem is a good fragrance. Not a big fan of Bond no9 though.

Ok, earlier in this thread I mentioned that I would be getting a bottle of Silver Factory (Silver) soon, and I just picked it up 2 days ago...and I have to say, I really liked the frag when I was sampling it, but MAN do I LOVE it now!! It's a fantastic incense frag...it is quickly bouncing up on my list of favorite Bonds, it's awesome! If you like incense then this is a fantastic choice!! Great stuff I tell you, GREAT STUFF!! I just thought I'd recommend it...again.

I like Bond No 9 b/c their fragrances contain high concentrations of essential oils. NY Oud for example has something like 30% if I remember right. They all have fantastic longevity and project nicely. They also happen to smell very nice. The ones I like from Bond are:

Manhattan
    Bleecker Street
    New Haarlem
    New York Oud
    New York Amber
    New York Musk
    Chez Bond
    I <3 NY for Him
    I <3 NY for All
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

The only Bond I have ever liked is New Haarlem, which I like quite a bit. It's unique and great smelling. I wear it on dates all the time, and women also adore it.

Aside from New Haarlem, I have not yet found a Bond that is pleasant enough to buy. Latest casualty: Eau de New York. Not a terrible scent, but much more chemical-smelling than Concentre d'Orange Verte or Neroli Portofino. No reason to buy it. I'm not a Bond hater, and continue to hope I'll like something by the house other than NH, but have been pretty disappointed so far. Longevity is always great, but the smells leave a lot to be desired.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

CologneFan85

They are beasts on projecton and longevity

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ajs41072 View Post
    I like 3, Hamptons, Coney Island and Wall Street. I have samples of Wall Street (8) but bottles of the other 2. I heard about this next thing, so I tried it. I took 4 of the samples I had of Wall Street, and bought a few more of Coney Island to get 4 of those. I then poured one Wall Street and then one Coney Island into an atomizer and alternated until all 4 were poured in. It's very good, seems like it brings out the best in both of them. Tough to explain but smells good. I tried 1 spray of Coney Island on my arm and then 1 of Wall Street over it, but that seemed to have Coney Island overpower Wall Street, as I was smelling too much Coney Island (not a bad thing, but I'd wear Coney Island by itself if I wanted to do that.) I didn't get that when pouring them together. The newer samples I got of Coney Island had a sprayer attached, and it was very difficult to remove in order to pour. I actually used pliers to do it.
    I the dynamic of Coney Island. That fresh lime opening with the smooth sweet chocolate drydown is awesome. Kinda snmells like a funnel cake.

I know that I am wayyyyy late to this party, but I just got to try some Bond fragrances for the first time... To me they smell really unique, I tried about 5 or 6 of them... My faves were

Success in the essence of NY
    Andy Warhol
    Chez Bond
    Peace for Him

I thought they definitely were very powerful and had really unique smells to them. I know people talk about the price of Bonds, but aren't Creeds like double the price????

Basenotes Junkie

Could anyone tell me how the Bonds normally come from regular retails stores like Saks or Nordstrom? Are the boxes supposed to be sealed?

I just received a 1.7 bottle from Fragrancenet... aaaaand it came in the open box. I mean, this happens to be one of those non-transparent bottles we are talking about so there is no way to know if all the juice is actually there. Them selling the stuff for much cheaper than retail prices makes me feel like there might be foul play here.. Any thoughts on this?

Fragrancenet is totally reputable, and the reason for the price distinction is because the retail prices on stuff like Bond is ridiculously inflated, so you should be fine.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Fragrancenet is totally reputable, and the reason for the price distinction is because the retail prices on stuff like Bond is ridiculously inflated, so you should be fine.
    Yeah the juice is legit for sure, I am slightly skeptical for a simple fact that I cannot see the liquid inside...