Code of Conduct

Default So I think Calvin Klein's Euphoria is dead sexy and apparently my fellow male basenoters agree.

So why all the hate on fragrantica??? What is it that us men smell and love that certain women don't agree with?

I was so upset to see a fragrance that I thought was exotic and sensual get blasted on those boards.

FYI, I was getting turned on by the scent just by smelling it on my own arm! My own hairy, tatooed, with a scar from when I was a kid, ARM!

Seems to be the same way with Theirry Mugler's Angel.

Default Re: So I think Calvin Klein's Euphoria is dead sexy and apparently my fellow male basenoters agree.

You're absolutely right to connect Euphoria with Angel -- it's one of the leagues of Angel imitators (and I like Euphoria; it started my fragrance journey a few years ago).

But there are lots of women who simply don't care for the heavy combination of fruit and patchouli. Some women prefer delicate florals. Or classic chypres. Or clean musks. Or citrus. Some women just really hate patchouli.

And then there are others who may not like it in part *because* it seeks to imitate Angel, because it's merely derivative instead of being original. I get that point of view, but, for me, I like what I like regardless of whether it's a "reference" fragrance or whether it was influenced by something else. I personally prefer Euphoria to Angel because I don't care at all for the chocolate note in Angel. But I vastly prefer Robert Piguet Visa and HdP 1804 (George Sand) (two other Angel imitators) to both Angel and Euphoria because Visa and 1804 don't smell (to me) nearly as synthetic as the other two.

At the end of the day, one's reaction to fragrance is very personal and very subjective. You may not ever know why any given person doesn't like a fragrance unless she tries to explain it.

Something else I've noticed is that a number of the men who post in the Basenotes Men's Forum seem to be much more preoccupied with the question of whether *other* people like a particular fragrance or whether they've received compliments for a particular fragrance (witness the 87-page sticky thread in the Men's Forum about which fragrances are "female" compliment-getters AND the 11-page sticky thread in the Women's Forum about which fragrances "chicks dig" on men). There is NO corresponding sticky thread in either forum in which women are asking which fragrances men like to smell on women. There may be an individual thread on this topic every now and then, but they tend to die a mercifully quick death. This is admittedly a generalization but, among the women who post on Basenotes, there seems to be much less of a concern with what other people think (or find sexy); we generally are more interested in whether *we* like a fragrance for ourselves. Of course, if a significant other really *dislikes* something, many of us will wait until he/she isn't around to wear the offending fragrance. I'm still trying to figure out if this phenomenon is age-influenced, gender-influenced, or both.
    Last edited by ExtremeK; 25th March 2013 at 11:08 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: So I think Calvin Klein's Euphoria is dead sexy and apparently my fellow male basenoters agree.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    Something else I've noticed is that a number of the men who post in the Basenotes Men's Forum seem to be much more preoccupied with the question of whether *other* people like a particular fragrance or whether they've been received compliments for a particular fragrance (witness the 87-page sticky thread in the Men's Forum about which fragrances are "female" compliment-getters AND the 11-page sticky thread in the Women's Forum about which fragrances "chicks dig" on men). There is NO corresponding sticky thread in either forum in which women are asking which fragrances men like to smell on women. There may be an individual thread on this topic every now and then, but they tend to die a mercifully quick death. This is admittedly a generalization but, among the women who post on Basenotes, there seems to be much less of a concern with what other people think (or find sexy); we generally are more interested in whether *we* like a fragrance for ourselves. Of course, if a significant other really *dislikes* something, many of us will wait until he/she isn't around to wear the offending fragrance. I'm still trying to figure out if this phenomenon is age-influenced, gender-influenced, or both.
    Well said, ExtremeK. No insecurities regarding my fragrances at all. Compliments are a bonus but still not something I'd even remotely consider when making a purchase - my scents are worn for my own personal enjoyment.

(To the OP - if YOU like it, go for it )

I like Euphoria! I've tried it in a sample spray and have smelled it on someone else. It's not particularly remarkable or interesting in my opinion, which may be one reason for some of its criticisms. But it's a very pretty and likeable scent-- and sexy, too, I think!!! Actually, it is the closest scent I have found to my favorite Caress body wash- red lychee and patchouli. I don't know if the notes or composition are similar, but Euphoria is the closest actual fragrance I can think of to this body wash which I so enjoy. Elle by YSL is another women's patchouli/sweet flowers/red fruits scent which I like (though it's much more woody to my nose, with something sharper like cedar.) But I prefer Euphoria. Secret Obsession and Obsession Night are a couple of other scents by Calvin Klein which I enjoy.

Thanks for sharing!!!
    Last edited by misscasey; 25th March 2013 at 10:48 PM.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

Euphoria doesn't do anything for me. It doesn't develop, doesn't change according to body chemistry. It has no surprises, very little personality. It's easily identifiable on anyone who wears it. I even owned a bottle once, but after 2-3 wearings I realized it was boring the hell out of me.

I really like Euphoria and Forbidden Euphoria! Both good imo.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

With Nefret on this. Boring. But then not a fan of any of the CK fragrances.
    DONNA

I find Euphoria (talking about the women's version here) overwhelming and aggressive - it reminds me a lot of Tom Ford's Black Orchid.

Blog Entries

ExtremeK hit it on the nail for me. I don't find it an interesting scent (I don't like Angel, either) and I'm not going to wear it even if guys are falling over themselves because of it.
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by VintagePoison View Post
    I don't find it an interesting scent (I don't like Angel, either) and I'm not going to wear it even if guys are falling over themselves because of it.
    This is the point I was trying to make, and VintagePoison stated it with perfect precision. Many women who don't care for Euphoria or who find it dull are not going to wear it just because it's known to be popular with men. The threshold question for most of the women I've "met" on Basenotes is whether they themselves like it enough to wear it. Other people liking it is just a bonus.

I like Euphoria, even though the drydown is a little too masculine for my taste, and I don't like Angel at all (too strong!).
    Euphoria is quite similar to Coco Noir that I absolutely love.
    I don't care about people tastes and opinions, I choose what I like.