Code of Conduct

Default pipettes or dropper cap?

Hello basenoteres,

I have a very simple question, which might even sound silly. When I blend fragrances, I normally use plastic disposable pipettes to take the solutions from the bottles, this resulting in lot of waste. I've nevere used dropper caps as I have read somewhere that the rubber top alters the quality of the oils. Is that true? It would be way easier just to use dropper caps.

Thank you!

Default Re: pipettes or dropper cap?

That's actually a good question, one that puzzled me to begin with too.

I use small glass pasteur type pipettes like these that you can buy cheaply enough in bulk. You just need to buy yourself a little plastic bulb to fit on the top (buy a few) to draw up the liquid. You can actually wash these too if you are careful enough with them, so there's no wastage.

I actually label one for each solution that I use and keep them separated in a zip lock bag so I don't have to keep washing them. I guess that's probably bad practice though, with the residues oxidizing etc.? Maybe not?

Basenotes Junkie

I use droppers like the one on this picture: http://www.hekserij.nl/Sluiting_DIN1...voor_olie.aspx

They come in two varieties: for oils and for ethanol (bigger vs smaller sized hole).
    They work outstanding for me, no probs.

Btw, i think the rubber issue is (almost) only with the citrus oils.
    Please visit my blog for a listing of all my free formulas

Thanks for the answers. I was considering switching to these dropper caps: https://www.newdirectionsuk.com/shop...dex.php?id=124

Does anyone uses them already?

I read that one user was having evaporation problems with the ethanol using the rubber tops. It may have been a faulty supplier though. I use the disposable pipettes and keep my ingredients tightly stoppered. I label each pipette and only use it for that item. It looks easier to use the built in glass dropper caps, but I am too far gone the other way to change them all.

If any are over dominant in a blend then I just dilute them to the next stage down so that substance becomes more controllable.

I use micropipettes and have individual pipette tips for each ingredient. I also use glass capillary tubes to get extremely tiny fractions of ingredients, which allows me to blend with precision with blend sizes < 1ml.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I've experimented a lot with both, but at the end of the day I find small transfer pipettes much more accurate and easier to work with than dropper caps. I don't like the inconsistency I get with different materials in dropper caps, and sometimes they flood out too fast. I like to control drop by drop what I put in so I don't screw anything up.

I can only cope with oils in dropper caps not ethanol at all. Disposable pipettes come in two ends. There are cheaper wider ones and nicer smaller ones with a tiny hole. Then really weeny micro pipette nib things on a volumate gun for the final deed.

Ok, thanks all. I just ordered some rubber top eyedropper caps (these: https://www.newdirectionsuk.com/shop...dex.php?id=124), will let you know how they work.

when they happen to be on bottles that i've bought, they will be removed and disposed of immediately. same goes for child-lock caps.

Quote Originally Posted by gido View Post
    when they happen to be on bottles that i've bought, they will be removed and disposed of immediately. same goes for child-lock caps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    That's actually a good question, one that puzzled me to begin with too.

I use small glass pasteur type pipettes like these that you can buy cheaply enough in bulk. You just need to buy yourself a little plastic bulb to fit on the top (buy a few) to draw up the liquid. You can actually wash these too if you are careful enough with them, so there's no wastage.

I actually label one for each solution that I use and keep them separated in a zip lock bag so I don't have to keep washing them. I guess that's probably bad practice though, with the residues oxidizing etc.? Maybe not?
    I agree with both of the above.

However when I'm doing demonstrations I use bottles with integral pipettes - as long as the bulb is silicone rather than rubber they are fine - just not as accurate as the pasteur type. But for anything I'm doing in public I don't like to have the sharp ends of the pasteur type about: too easy to end up with a claim on my public liability insurance . . .
    ďBattle cries and champagne just in time for sunrise.
    ― David Bowie
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

Fine fragrances hand made in The Shire
    Quality perfume making ingredients
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume
    If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog for more info about perfumes and perfumery.

Where do you get silicone bulbs for pasteur pipettes from?

ibotz have them in packs of 10, Cotswold sell them individually, though only to people who have been on one of their courses.

If you just want one or two I have plenty and I'm happy to pop a couple in free along with any of my overstocks or perfumes you're buying.
    ďBattle cries and champagne just in time for sunrise.
    ― David Bowie
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

Fine fragrances hand made in The Shire
    Quality perfume making ingredients
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume
    If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog for more info about perfumes and perfumery.