Code of Conduct

Default YSL Pour Homme, a metrosexual fragance?

Yesterday, I was watching, one more time, now in DVD, American Psycho and found out (I had plenty of things to do) that in the most famous scene when he is describing his grooming routine, in the shelves, there is YSL Pour Homme (and curiously some L' Occitane stuff).

The idea of this thread is to discuss if this fragance is, or was, so metrosexual (maybe it was just an ad).

Otherwise, which fragance would fit that type?

Default Re: YSL Pour Homme, a metrosexual fragance?

I don't think the fragrance would be labeled as "metrosexual." The term is typically used for describing a person.

No.

LIDGE , Dior Homme but not YSL homme lol , a very masculine and rugged citrus fragrance. Something my moustached uncles in their 50s would wear.
    Last edited by vinramani09; 26th March 2013 at 02:36 AM.

Patrick also has a bottle of Caron pour Un Homme in the cabinet.

The YSL would be considered traditionally very masculine. Spicy, herbal, leathery, lemon.

I dont think the character is metro at all either. Its ridiculously masculine actually? Perhaps compensating??
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

No way... I think it would fit better in Chuck Norris. A mustache scent for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I don't think the fragrance would be labeled as "metrosexual."
    Agree.

treeman5823

Seriously? Just wear the stuff if you like it.

Overcome By Fumes

Do people still use the term? I haven't heard it in years.

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    I think the dumb media has moved on to other stupid generalizations now. I always thought it was just guys who were a little "over groomed"

OP, are you looking for a metro fragrance? Just pick any of the top 10 best sellers and spray at least 20 sprays on and you should be good.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

I try not to genderfy scents and just wear what I like.

A "metro man" can wear any scent as a part of being well-dressed and well-groomed.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

No, no way!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    OP, are you looking for a metro fragrance? Just pick any of the top 10 best sellers and spray at least 20 sprays on and you should be good.
    Nice!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    A "metro man" can wear any scent as a part of being well-dressed and well-groomed.
    Agree.

Patrick also has a bottle of Caron pour Un Homme in the cabinet.

The YSL would be considered traditionally very masculine. Spicy, herbal, leathery, lemon.

I dont think the character is metro at all either. Its ridiculously masculine actually? Perhaps compensating??
    Sorry, but there's nothing overtly masculine about facials, lotions and listening to Whitney Houston :-p

The term originated in an article by Mark Simpson[2] published on November 15, 1994, in The Independent. Simpson wrote:

Metrosexual man, the single young man with a high disposable income, living or working in the city (because that’s where all the best shops are), is perhaps the most promising consumer market of the decade. In the Eighties he was only to be found inside fashion magazines such as GQ, in television advertisements for Levi's jeans or in gay bars. In the Nineties, he’s everywhere and he’s going shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    Indeed, well noticed.

Idk bout was, but is it metrosexual now? Hell nooooooo

I don't think it is any more metrosexual than any other citrus scent and if anything, as mentioned, it's pretty rough and dirty at that.

HOWEVER, what I find curious is how strong the reactions to this thread are--perhaps to the term metrosexual. Interesting.

Indeed, only partly so.

The first impression may be a metrosexual vibe, but then again, especially during drydown, this fragrance is capable to develop, without ever becoming overpowering, crude or too stuffy, just the right amount of masculine elegance, suaveness and tastefulness.

[QUOTE=heperd;2896493]Patrick also has a bottle of Caron pour Un Homme in the cabinet. [QUOTE=heperd;2896493]

I thought that but I was not sure! Thank you. Indeed that translucent green is unique!

But also, Caron pour un Homme is less intended for a guy lile Patrick Bateman. IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by voidvader View Post
    No way... I think it would fit better in Chuck Norris. A mustache scent for sure.
    LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for all your posts. From these, my conclusión is that that appearance was only an ad, because YSL Pour Homme totally misfit the Patrick Bateman's type (don´t call it metrosexual, but IMO this term is adequate because the character is full with all the GQ, Men's Health..., aspirational way of presenting ourselves in the joint! I'm not talking about the dark side of Patrick because this is not the forum to do that, but only the external features.

IMO nowadays, a metrosexual or a guy like Patrick Bateman's cabinet would be provided with Tom Ford's fragances!

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Sorry, but there's nothing overtly masculine about facials, lotions and listening to Whitney Houston :-p
    Well, he does a lot of disemboweling and chopping up people with axes to balance out the Whitney and facials.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*

Quote Originally Posted by Papi Le Bon View Post
    ... my conclusión is that that appearance was only an ad, because YSL Pour Homme totally misfit the Patrick Bateman's type...
    I don't think so. Classy, decidely masculine and rather timeless. Similarly, I'd not have been surprised to see Eau Sauvage, Monsieur Givenchy, Guerlain Vetiver, etc.

We have the movie in our library and most in the family enjoy giving it a watch now and again. Great lines. Now, I have to go and return some videotapes.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    I don't think so. Classy, decidely masculine and rather timeless. Similarly, I'd not have been surprised to see Eau Sauvage, Monsieur Givenchy, Guerlain Vetiver, etc.

We have the movie in our library and most in the family enjoy giving it a watch now and again. Great lines. Now, I have to go and return some videotapes.
    Yes, really nice script. All the dialogues with the private detective are hilarious...

Curiosly in other thread there is a mention about a recent article in march's GQ about fragances, and recommend Tom Ford's Noir in this way:

Noir makes sense for a man who's on a first-name basis with both his tailor and his motorcycle mechanic.

Read More http://www.gq.com/style/grooming/201...#ixzz2OhJdKYBn

Pretty funny, but some potential Patricks think it's cool!

Well, he does a lot of disemboweling and chopping up people with axes to balance out the Whitney and facials.
    Well, he fantasizes about it sitting in his office, like everybody else, I don't think he did much of it.

His main concerns seem to be the quality of the haircuts of colleagues, clothes, etc. He'd probably be a BN member :-p

A classic fragrance... Metrosexual? I don't feel that way about this at all... L'Homme? That's possible...

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Well, he fantasizes about it sitting in his office, like everybody else, I don't think he did much of it.

His main concerns seem to be the quality of the haircuts of colleagues, clothes, etc. He'd probably be a BN member :-p
    The idea, ambiguosly developed is that his crimes were not factual, isn´t it?

He would reviewed some fragances in an epic (and very funny) way, as he reviewed the song The Greatest Love of All!

Basenotes Plus

I wore it once and became a woman for the duration of the longevity of the frag.

It was fun.