Code of Conduct
    treeman5823

Default An Idealized Future

In the future, fragrance websites will have two main sections: one will be titled IFRA compliant fragrances, the other IFRA noncompliant. Under the noncompliant page, fragrances with their original formulae will be listed, and underneath these will be a disclaimer with allergen information. This will read: "fragrances under the IFRA noncompliant section are not regulated by the International Fragrance Association. Fragrances without IFRA regulation may contain ingredients known to cause contact skin dermatitis and other health issues. For more information, please visit www.ifraorg.org." When purchasing one of the aformentioned fragrances, a consumer contract will appear. This contract will provide consumers with a restatement of the previous disclaimer, and require consumers to verify that they have read and understood the health risks of buying unregulated fragrances. Once the customer clicks the "I have read the above contract, understand the health risks presented therein, and relinquish my right to pursue litigation against this distributor" box, a pop-up will appear, requiring the customer to verify his or her decision to buy a potentially harmful product(s). And voila! Your perfect bottle of poison arrives at your door.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: An Idealized Future

will the perfume industry rejoice, or seek revenge by jacking up the price of the original?

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by SirNosebleed View Post
    will the perfume industry rejoice, or seek revenge by jacking up the price of the original?
    Who cares, so long as the original-formula bottles are cheaper than the ones on ebay.

Post Thanks / Like

If only ... Right now, even if you pay top price for a parfum, you still get the reformulated stuff.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    If only ... Right now, even if you pay top price for a parfum, you still get the reformulated stuff.
    Sadly true.

Post Thanks / Like

I can see an underground movement. It will be like buying Crack etc. Pss, do you have Mitsouko, oakmoss?????? SA, meet me round the back in 30 minutes. Cash only.
    DONNA

Consumer demand will tell.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Towers View Post
    Consumer demand will tell.
    Yes it will, but probably not in the way you wish. I think the vast majority of people who buy fragrance don't care a fig about the state of the industry. Most people don't want "chemicals" that harm them, they only want safe perfumes. Most people neither care about nor understand the situation. If they did, then consumer demand would tell.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with David - and with the constant renewal of the market as new consumers begin to buy fragrances - they won't even know.

If you were an 'uninformed' new consumer in this sector (as the vast majority must be), you would just unquestioningly make your choice from what is most visibly on offer/advertised.

treeman5823

There should be an organization that broadens the public's understanding of perfume history and perfume's place as an art (as opposed to a mere commodity). This would allow people to understand why perfume is worth protecting, and hence why chemical regulation is abhorrent and (largely) unjustifiable.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, agree, but who would start it - us?
    A charitable trust maybe.

I just received a bottle of attar - hardly a substance with any noticeably documented dangerous history.

It was interesting (and slightly reassuring, in one way) to read the instructions on the label, which suggest that, since the product is made from natural oils & extracts, it may not agree with everyone's skin and advises sparing use to start with.

I hope that future bottles continue to have these warnings - a lot of us will then continue to seek them out
    Last edited by lpp; 27th March 2013 at 06:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly, this kind of approach can do nothing to revive classics like No.5 which were otherwise doomed.
    You need to factor in a time machine. And readjust our moral compass ( for the worse ).

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah: LEGALIZE IT!
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    And readjust our moral compass ( for the worse ).
    Are you suggesting that we compromise our want of a just future where perfume is finally accepted as an art worth documenting and preserving? That mindset has rarely, if ever, achieved anything beneficial.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be the ideal (or near-ideal) consumer protection, respecting fragrance customers both as direct buyers and as indirect taxpayers. Thus, a good, credible and fair return service for the top dollar (or any other hard currency) the fragrance industry abundantly gains.

Post Thanks / Like

No. I meant many classics were doomed when we realised it wasn't terribly nice to harvest musks.
    To restore Coco Chanel's No.5, we'd need to regress morally.
    The option to sell non-compliant perfumes would be great, but it sadly won't revive many lost gems.
    Those, I fear, have gone the way of the Dodo.

treeman5823

No. I meant many classics were doomed when we realised it wasn't terribly nice to harvest musks.
    To restore Coco Chanel's No.5, we'd need to regress morally.
    The option to sell non-compliant perfumes would be great, but it sadly won't revive many lost gems.
    Those, I fear, have gone the way of the Dodo.
    No. 5's musks were nitro musks (they had nitrogen atoms in their benzene rings). All of these were, to my knowledge, synthetic. So, to address your concern, we don't need to hunt down defenseless animals to preserve perfumery. Think about it: there are synthetic civet reconstructions (used in modern Jicky), oakmoss is abundant, jasmine is doing fine. The only thing stopping perfumers from using these is 1.) money and 2.) restrictions. Old companies like Guerlain and Chanel have money to spend and a reputation to protect, so the only thing obstructing their perfumers is the latter issue.

Post Thanks / Like

I just don't think synthetic civet etc. smell as good as the natual stuff.
    It will, as I understand, be decades before the new Indian sandalwood plantations are mature.
    Which is why I think it would be great to be able to sell non-compliant perfumes, but some treasures are lost for good.

Edit: I was thinking specifically about natural civet in relation to No.5, but Jicky is as good an example. Yes, there are synthetic reconstructions used in current iterations, but to my nose, these are inferior.
    Last edited by gandhajala; 27th March 2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: clarified synthetic civet

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Undoubtedly, but that doesn't address the issue of banning 'allergens' which may affect a tiny minority of users.
    Personally, I would prefer to be permitted to make a choice based on labelling for these and accept alternatives to morally questionable items where applicable.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post

cacio

My point too. Fragrance industry made IFRA rules to control the input costs, and keep control over profit margins...and to prevent small houses to be better, by beeing able to make high quality perfumes on a lower scale which is normal in food industry

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Yes it will, but probably not in the way you wish. I think the vast majority of people who buy fragrance don't care a fig about the state of the industry. Most people don't want "chemicals" that harm them, they only want safe perfumes. Most people neither care about nor understand the situation. If they did, then consumer demand would tell.
    Its always supply first, that creates demand second:-) ......if people never smelled anything better they can at best become bored, i did not believe to people saying vintages are better, i was thinking people just imagine things, then i smelled few, and its the same difference as eating strawberry bought in UK and one bought here in Zagreb:-)

- - - Updated - - -

I just don't think synthetic civet etc. smell as good as the natural stuff.

Edit: I was thinking specifically about natural civet in relation to No.5, but Jicky is as good an example. Yes, there are synthetic reconstructions used in current iterations, but to my nose, these are inferior.

I agree with this! Not only that, i think average nose smelling those 2 things: real civet and synthetic one, would not be able to tell its the same thing:-)

Those are 2 different notes.....that make completely different results in perfume, one is warm animalic, another is bitter sharp, sour glue like, or some plastic:-)
    Last edited by iivanita; 27th March 2013 at 10:19 PM.

Perfume is dead. The future is... air fresheners...

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post
    ...And voila! Your perfect bottle of poison arrives at your door.
    Not if the postal services keep confiscating and destroying fragrance shipments. We perfume lovers just can't catch a break, can we?

No chance. Yeah -- you have agreed to take the risk of keeling over frothing at the mouth but the House won't be covered if you kill a dozen other people with the lethal oakmoss.

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    No chance. Yeah -- you have agreed to take the risk of keeling over frothing at the mouth but the House won't be covered if you kill a dozen other people with the lethal oakmoss.
    Wait, that bottle of Mitsouko you bought me has oakmoss in it? I think I...I think I already feel the contact skin dermatitis crawling up my arm!

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah, that's just auto suggestion, or something

Hehe Trebor - bet some of mine are better than some fragrances
    Last edited by lpp; 28th March 2013 at 06:07 PM.