Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Tom Ford Grey Vetiver - your thoughts ?

Thank you ladies and gents for your advice and wise words

I just got a tip from a coworker that knows I'm into frags, her BF uses Chopard Noble Vetiver,and she says it's a very nice combo of Creed OV (clean fresh Vetiver) and Terre D'Hermès (earthy vibe)

I asked if she could give me a small sample but her BF just ran out and is about to order it from cheap smells.com

Should I blind buy a 80 ml Noble Vetiver and also pick up the Noble Cedar too ? (I love woody scents as well)

Feel so sad, when I can't sample stuff locally, because Denmark is a waste land when it comes to fragrances......

If I enter into a frag shop locally and the lady asks me if I know this and that scent she has on the shelf, and I tell her that I own 40 % of what she has on the shelfs and the rest is not my cup of tea, she gives me this weird look - either thinking I'm lying or that I'm just a freak.....
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

More often than not, I have been burned by buying blindly. I try not to do it. Every time I do it, I vow it will be the last time.
    Basenotes sales: By Kilian Straight to Heaven, Heeley Coccobello, Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Bond No. 9 Hamptons, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Essence de Cerruti, Balenciaga Ho Hang Club, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...ciaga-SAMPLES!

Offsite sales: By Kilian Straight to Heaven, Heeley Coccobello, Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Tom Ford Noir de Noir, By Kilian Prelude to Love, Bond No. 9 Hamptons, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Essence de Cerruti, Balenciaga Ho Hang Club, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626
    Currently wearing: Windsor by Creed

Vetiver Hombre is a really nice summer vetiver also. If you like Grey Vetiver, Original Vetiver, Mugler Cologne it's along those lines.
    Currently wearing: Avant Garde by Lanvin

Don't let others dictate what you buy, let your nose do that.

Many say Vetiver Extraordinaire and Guerlain Vetiver are amazing, but I don't like them at all while I really enjoy Grey Vetiver. The countless compliments I've received wearing it is always nice reassure your decision.

Grey Vetiver has an excellent grapefruit citrus, nutmeg and spices, nutty and smoky. It's well balanced, long lasting and projects very well. One of my favorite fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFragranceReview View Post
    Don't let others dictate what you buy, let your nose do that.
    THIS.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFragranceReview View Post
    Many say Vetiver Extraordinaire and Guerlain Vetiver are amazing, but I don't like them at all while I really enjoy Grey Vetiver. The countless compliments I've received wearing it is always nice reassure your decision.

Grey Vetiver has an excellent grapefruit citrus, nutmeg and spices, nutty and smoky. It's well balanced, long lasting and projects very well. One of my favorite fragrances.
    ...this too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    More often than not, I have been burned by buying blindly. I try not to do it. Every time I do it, I vow it will be the last time.
    LOL! I do that too, usually muttering "Never again," mistakenly.
    I have a 100ml Gucci Pour Homme 2003 that I'll swap for Reflection Man or De Bachmakov. PM me if interested.

Personally, I am a huge vetiver lover, and have many in my collection. Grey Vetiver ranks near the top. Great versatile all season, all occasion vetiver.

Basenotes Plus

Some of my favorite fragrances feature vetiver: Miller Harris Vetiver Bourbon, Turtle both Front and Back, Fumidus, Sycomore. I don't consider Tom Ford's Grey even in the same league. If you like that kind of Eau d'Issey synthetic thing it might be for you. Vetiver is just a role player here. Has a soapy quality. Burns my nose. Seems like it would be good for polishing cabinetry. It is fresh and clean. But like all scents you need to see if it works for yourself. But my conscience is telling me to tell you, "Don't do it."
    Last edited by Dernier_Cri; 27th March 2013 at 07:40 AM.

Basenotes Institution

I read on Now Smell This that this is being produced in an Eau de Toilette version (the original is an EdP). Can anyone else confirm this?
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Junkie

wow this thread is a bit old.

not a fan, its ok i guess but can think of much nicer, fresh and simple style well groomed fragrances. tried it last week, it doesnt do anything for me at all. it is also very boring.

Loved it from the first testing and included it in my future purchases list- apart from smelling exquisitely (in my opinion), it also has (again, from a personal viewpoint) quite enough versatility to suit both regular, daytime, workplace/office but also more formal occasions and/or outfits.

Dependent

One of my personal faves, Top 20 worthy; and that includes the niches. So flexible, crisp and just appealing. Compliments every time I wear it, and the major proof point - I feel sharp all day when wearing it. It's on auto-replenish if I ever get through my bottle.

Dependent

It's a must have for a lover of vetiver scents. Works all year round for me
    Seasonal rotation:

Ciel Man
    Windsor
    Scandal Pour Homme
    Santal Imperial
    Millesime Imperial

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I read on Now Smell This that this is being produced in an Eau de Toilette version (the original is an EdP). Can anyone else confirm this?
    I think its a fine fragrance the way it is IMO.
    I cant imagine it with more projection and less longevity.
    FragReviews.com - A Fresh Perspective
    Latest Review: Issey Miyake - L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme Summer 2014

My Sales Thread - FB's For Sale: Hermes - Bel Ami - Updated 06/29

Dependent

For a Tuesday when I have to sit through a couple boring meetings and mentally be somewhere else...its perfect. I don't need everything especially my office scents to be mind blowing. I'm not going to wear my rare vintage stuff ever day of the week. Something like this fills in the days perfectly when I want to wear something decent that isn't expensive or challenging to be around. But what do I know I'm just an old guy with an extensive collection of vintage stuff.
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I see on another fume forum that the new EDT has been added to the directory, just today apparently. So, although I'm unable to find any other references at the moment, this seems to be true.

The notes listed are only Bergamot and Thai Basil, which can't possibly be the complete note list, I'm guessing it got truncated in a copy/paste error when entered. However, even just from those 2 notes, it seems the EDT may take a different approach. Count me interested.

As others have said, it's a solid, safe vetiver. It is however quite dull.