Code of Conduct

Default Tom Ford Grey Vetiver - your thoughts ?

I need a solid work scent that will last 6-8 hours and project mildly.

Used to like my Guerlain Vetiver as my goto Vetiver for work, but I don't enjoy it anymore - really never was my cup of tea to be honest....... Wonder why I kept wearing it to work once in a while.

My other favorite work scents that i wear ften are YSL L'Homme, D&G Pour Homme, Azzaro Pour Homme, YSL Rive Gauche, Aramis Tuscany, Terre D'Hermès EDT & EDP, Creed GIT, Creed SMW, Creed Himalaya, Bond no. 9 Chez Bond, Prada Amber Pour Homme, Prada Infusion D'Homme, Frapin 1270, Frapin L'Humaniste, Chanel Allure Homme, Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche, Bleu de Chanel, Dior Homme Sport, Dior Homme, Dior Granville, Penhaligon Blenheims Bouquet, Dior Eau Sauvage Extreme, Mont Blanc Legend and a few more.

If I enjoy Lalique Encre Noir and L'Occitane Vetyver, but find Guerlain Vetiver 2011 version less good, is it worth it to get Tom Ford Grey Vetiver as a new work scent ?
    I can't sample it anywhere close, and buying a sample and ship it half around the world, I might just as well get the 50 or 100 ml version of it.

Mugler Cologne and Creed Original Vetiver are Vetiver leaf scents with a soapy vibe and not what I think is actual Vetiver frags.....I find both rather boring, even for work. More like good gym scents.....

Thanks
    Last edited by CHSeifert; 26th March 2013 at 05:52 AM.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Default Re: Tom Ford Grey Vetiver - your thoughts ?

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    If I enjoy Lalique Encre Noir and L'Occitane Vetyver, but find Guerlain Vetiver 2011 version less good, is it worth it to get Tom Ford Grey Vetiver as a new work scent ?
    IMO Not worth it.

if Guerlain Vetiver doesn't work with you, then Grey Vetivier definitely not for you

however if enjoy Lalique Encre Noir then i would highly recommend you check out Chanel Sycomore

Vetiver Extraordinaire is another masterpiece which i would also highly recommend you try.
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

I don't particularly like TF's vetiver. Check out:

Dior Vetiver
    Chanel Sycomore

I think Vetiver Extraordinaire is a nice frag, but too pricey for what it is. In that same boat is Hermes Vetiver Tonka, very nice but hard to justify that cost for a vetiver based frag.

Also, maybe consider CdG Wonderwood.

Both Encre Noire and L'Occitane Vetiver are much more interesting, masculine and better scents. If you ever smelled Paul Smith Story, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver is very similiar and just slightly more masculine version of it. Its really different than both Encre Noire and L Occitane which are darker and more raw. TF is not bad but not worth its price (for me) if you can buy PS Story for 1/3.

BTW you can buy sample at essenza nobille. (2ml sample is 4 euros, shipping of samples only is 5 euros)
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

I was not impressed with Grey Vetiver at all, it honestly smells like noxzema creme.

I think you'll get opinions all over the map with this. Like you, I'm not fond of Guerlain Vetiver. However, I do like Ford's Grey Vetiver. Only you can decide if it's "worth it" to own, and you can only do that by sampling it. Looks like you have plenty of work scents in the meantime.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Vetiver Geranium, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...Ess-de-Cerruti

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Vetiver Geranium, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Not impressed by it, as I am by Encre Noir, Creed Vetiver or Molinard's.

It's too sharp for me.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I love Grey Vetiver, I think it would make an awsome workplace scent. I enjoy it wearing myself a lot but I would surely love it on a man. I wish the guys around here would be wearing that instead of all the boring "sport" scents or sickly sweet nondescript stuff...

I also think it's a great work scent... it's what I wear to work sometimes, a more modern take on Guerlain Vetiver, load of iso e super which makes it round and enveloping, sort of like a cleaner and less mineralic terre d'hermes.

Grey Vetiver is probably my favourite of all the big vetivers out there (Guerlain, Creed etc.) It lasts well, and is bright, crisp and unoffensive. If you like it, go for it!
    Smelling good on a budget!

I think it's great. It has a clean and sharp aura (in the vein of Eau Sauvage), yet rounded with a bit of powdery soapiness and some cigar smoke. It definitely has character and stands out without being weird.

My only complaint is in the mid, in which it sometimes smells like those powdered vinyl gloves, bringing about hospital associations..

Hello again, Claus! On the basis that there is more vetiver than in the Creed and nothing really challenging to deter, I think there is a reasonable chance it might make a suitable blind-buy for you.

Another supporter! I really like Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver and as I have said lots of times, I find it to be one of those fragrances which projects attractiveness (do you know what I mean?). It opens with sharp citrus , grapefruit, and lime too I think, amongst other citrus, a bit sherbety, then a clear fresh airy but tenacious vetiver dominates , supported by woody notes. It has a natural/synthetic vibe, very contemporary, but with a nod to masculine classicism nonetheless. It's fairly linear. It's stylish and elegant. It's often quoted in the context of work or formal wear but I think that it is also great casual, fresh, and outdoorsy. Longevity and projection are good.

At the end of the day it will come down to personal taste. Do try it though because now I bet we are all fascinated to hear what you think of it, particulary amongst your abundant and classy arsenal of daywear!
    Last edited by Foustie; 26th March 2013 at 10:23 AM.

I don't think you will like it. It's just a more powdery version of Guerlain's Vetiver without the tobacco (at least to my nose). You are much better off sticking with TdH, GIT and Azzaro for work scents.

If you still really want to go for a vetiver scent, I think you should pay Creed OV another visit. It's great in the summer and spraying just a bit more will bring out the vetiver note. The marketing crap that they use the leaf instead of the root means nothing to me. I still get vetiver from this one but only in the extreme dry down. It's definitely there.

Sycomore and FM Vetiver Extrodinaire are also good alternatives, although I think the Chanel is likely to be a bit heavy for the office.

As far as I remember it an easy to like, mainstream, lemony fresh, light vetiver, ideal for work. It's nice but I'd only ever pick it up if found for a very good price, or if longevity and projection were outstanding.

I found this one to be a wearable modern update to Guerlain's Vetiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I found this one to be a wearable modern update to Guerlain's Vetiver.
    My feelings as well. By the end of the day, I'm burnt out on Guerlain's. But, Grey simmers into a nice 'sweet' ending, that is more subdued on my skin. That said, my Fav. Vetiver atm is Turtle Back.

I have never tried Guerlain's Vetiver but I have tried Encre Noir and to be honest, I thought it was disgusting. Grey Vetiver is a very clean bright, slightly sweet (to my nose) vetiver. It is an excellent work scent IMO. I used to own it and gave it away however as the longevity on me was fleeting. 2 hours max.
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Xerjoff Casamorati 1888
    Frederic Malle Carnal Flower
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal
    Bruckner Aoud 1
    Naomi Goodsir Or du Soreil
    Chanel bois des Iles

I bought it right after its release and very much wanted to like it. Didn't, though, because it struck me as quite synthetic (heavy on the Iso E Super?). Have you tried Givenchy's Vetyver? The concept is similar, but the result is far more natural smelling, at least to my nose.
    For swap/sale: NIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Sound Scents

Not a fan here (though not a "hater" either) as I find it quite mundane... I doubt it will be your cup of tea based on your dislike/indifference to Guerlain Vetiver and your preference for scents like Encre Noir and Terre d'Hermès... I agree with the earlier poster that recommended Sycomore or Vetiver Extraordinaire, as they both would most likely be closer to your tastes...
    Last edited by drseid; 26th March 2013 at 02:11 PM.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

A decent scent. As others have said it's quite sharp on the initial spray. Make sure you do not overspray.

I love it and think it's a great work frag - relatively cheap, widely available, smells good, inoffensive. But you have to smell it for yourself imo, it's not a simple, plain vetiver by any means.

Solid, safe vetiver, sort of ...well 'grey' so perfect for work. I enjoyed wearing it, but won't return.

I received a 50ml from BN marketplace yesterday and am currently taking it for a spin at the office. I think it is going to be an excellent workplace fragrance. Clean, light, fresh, under the radar - it certainly won't offend anybody. Great accent to a sharp outfit, but it won't steal the show.

Smells nice, but not convinced on longevity and its price is too damn high

Banned
    Blog Entries

Grey Vetiver is an okay scent. Not great, and not even more than good. Just okay.

Go with Chanel Sycomore instead.

IMO, if you don't care for Guerlain Vetiver all that much, you very likely won't care for the Tom Ford all that much either. I find they do share similarities. If you haven't tried the Guerlain Homme line, you may want to give them a sniff. I think almost any of them would work just fine at work. Both L'eau versions have the Guerlain Vetiver in the drydown, but it is more balanced with the citrus and not nearly as sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    I think you'll get opinions all over the map with this. Like you, I'm not fond of Guerlain Vetiver. However, I do like Ford's Grey Vetiver. Only you can decide if it's "worth it" to own, and you can only do that by sampling it. Looks like you have plenty of work scents in the meantime.
    One Billion Percent THIS.

I'm not a big fan of Guerlain Vetiver.
    I really enjoy Grey Vetiver.

Only you can decide how much of your money a scent is worth.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Thank you ladies and gents for your advice and wise words

I just got a tip from a coworker that knows I'm into frags, her BF uses Chopard Noble Vetiver,and she says it's a very nice combo of Creed OV (clean fresh Vetiver) and Terre D'Hermès (earthy vibe)

I asked if she could give me a small sample but her BF just ran out and is about to order it from cheap smells.com

Should I blind buy a 80 ml Noble Vetiver and also pick up the Noble Cedar too ? (I love woody scents as well)

Feel so sad, when I can't sample stuff locally, because Denmark is a waste land when it comes to fragrances......

If I enter into a frag shop locally and the lady asks me if I know this and that scent she has on the shelf, and I tell her that I own 40 % of what she has on the shelfs and the rest is not my cup of tea, she gives me this weird look - either thinking I'm lying or that I'm just a freak.....
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

More often than not, I have been burned by buying blindly. I try not to do it. Every time I do it, I vow it will be the last time.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Vetiver Geranium, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...Ess-de-Cerruti

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Vetiver Geranium, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Vetiver Hombre is a really nice summer vetiver also. If you like Grey Vetiver, Original Vetiver, Mugler Cologne it's along those lines.

Don't let others dictate what you buy, let your nose do that.

Many say Vetiver Extraordinaire and Guerlain Vetiver are amazing, but I don't like them at all while I really enjoy Grey Vetiver. The countless compliments I've received wearing it is always nice reassure your decision.

Grey Vetiver has an excellent grapefruit citrus, nutmeg and spices, nutty and smoky. It's well balanced, long lasting and projects very well. One of my favorite fragrances.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Quote Originally Posted by MrFragranceReview View Post
    Don't let others dictate what you buy, let your nose do that.
    THIS.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFragranceReview View Post
    Many say Vetiver Extraordinaire and Guerlain Vetiver are amazing, but I don't like them at all while I really enjoy Grey Vetiver. The countless compliments I've received wearing it is always nice reassure your decision.

Grey Vetiver has an excellent grapefruit citrus, nutmeg and spices, nutty and smoky. It's well balanced, long lasting and projects very well. One of my favorite fragrances.
    ...this too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    More often than not, I have been burned by buying blindly. I try not to do it. Every time I do it, I vow it will be the last time.
    LOL! I do that too, usually muttering "Never again," mistakenly.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Personally, I am a huge vetiver lover, and have many in my collection. Grey Vetiver ranks near the top. Great versatile all season, all occasion vetiver.

Basenotes Plus

Some of my favorite fragrances feature vetiver: Miller Harris Vetiver Bourbon, Turtle both Front and Back, Fumidus, Sycomore. I don't consider Tom Ford's Grey even in the same league. If you like that kind of Eau d'Issey synthetic thing it might be for you. Vetiver is just a role player here. Has a soapy quality. Burns my nose. Seems like it would be good for polishing cabinetry. It is fresh and clean. But like all scents you need to see if it works for yourself. But my conscience is telling me to tell you, "Don't do it."
    Last edited by Dernier_Cri; 27th March 2013 at 07:40 AM.