Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What to put in your pocket? I will tell you

You are having quite the busy day at the office, looking good and smelling great of course.....

In this busy board meeting, the eyes of others are trained on what emerges from your shirt pocket.
    As you remove the cap and post it, they wonder, " what is this odd device?" " It sure looks strange, how can that actually work?"

Its a FOUNTAIN PEN, and before we became a society based on disposable consumables, a gentlemen always had a properly filled fountain pen in his pocket, ready should it be needed.

We spend hard earned money looking good, and if you are reading this, most likely on smelling good as well.

Are you really going to tell me that using a 10cent ballpoint..... somehow completes the classy package?

Default Re: What to put in your pocket? I will tell you

I'll take a Montegrappa or Mont Blanc classy Ball Point pen over a fountain pen any day. Just me.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Hednic. I would much prefer a ball point over a fountain pen.

Although maybe that's just because when I was younger every fountain pen I ever had leaked all over me.

Post Thanks / Like

If possible, I'd have both types of pens with me, especially during work-related occasions, professional assignments which involve at least some amounts of handwriting, taking quick notes etc.

By the way, kindly calling on the Basenotes experts on this, please:

Are Cartier fountain pens and/or ballpoints a good purchase or simply over-hyped, maybecapitalizing on the name, reputation, quality and tradition of the jewelry by the same manufacturer? A luxury goods boutique at the mall has quite tempting offers on this, but I am somehow still reluctant to pull the trigger on this purchase without any previous advice, opinion and information.

Post Thanks / Like

Or you could go one step further and bring a dip pen :-)

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use a fountain pen practically all the time - but couldn't deal with people borrowing (with or without asking) and writing with it as they would a ballpoint.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't loan your blanc or grappa, as you would refrain from loaning your 1969 bee bottle guerlain or Ferrari gt California.

The unknowing will attempt to tattoo paper with a fountain or dip quail, as is the norm with a throw away ball point, causing bleeds.
    With some practice, using a quill or fountain becomes second nature. And before you can say sonata, the ball point rap song fails to ,measure up.
    Buy a Pelikan, a waterman, or a Lamy fountain pen for around 20 and enjoy it. Then go for the blanc, grappa, or Cartier. To revisit my earlier point, your CREED OR GUERLAIN frag is complemented by a quality writing instrument in your hand.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't let a Mont Blanc or a Montegrappa out of the house, actually, in the same way that my vintage Shalimar parfum is most definitely staying at home. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer keeping my little pleasures to myself. And personally, I don't need to have colleagues and acquaintances mishandling even the $20 Pelikans and Lamys as they have in the past. They add up, and then I start thinking of all the sample and decants and maybe even FBs I could have bought with the money.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand.

Is there a lot of crime in your offices guys?

Take the damn pen to work. Use it, put it back in your chest pocket.

Someone borrows, watch them give it back if theres a lot of crime in your office.

In my office if someone asks for a pen I don't give them my Montregrappa or Dunhill or Mont Blanc. I hand them a regular ballpoint pen from a pile of pens in a holder.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    By the way, kindly calling on the Basenotes experts on this, please:

Are Cartier fountain pens and/or ballpoints a good purchase or simply over-hyped, maybecapitalizing on the name, reputation, quality and tradition of the jewelry by the same manufacturer? A luxury goods boutique at the mall has quite tempting offers on this, but I am somehow still reluctant to pull the trigger on this purchase without any previous advice, opinion and information.
    I woulnd't do it by brand but rather than by model.

If its a regular pen with plastic or resin casing and a screw top but its priced over $500, then maybe its hyped.

But if its got design and workmanship, then its probably worth it.

I have a Dunhill with filigree around the cap & the case is wrapped in sting ray... worth the price IMO.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    The real good pens are from companies that started their business as a pen maker. The most renown companies are from Japan (e.g. Sailor, Pilot, Namiki), Italy (Visconti, Montegrappa, Omas), Germany (Montblanc, Pelikan, Lamy), UK (Conway Stewart), USA (Bexley or vintage Parker, Waterman). If you are looking for a good pen, those are a good start. A Cartier pen is ok but if I were looking for a good pen I would look for one from a pen company. And if I were looking for my very first one I would start with one of the German school pens like Pelikan Pelikano or Lamy Safari and move on to more expensive pens if writing with a fountain pen feels comfortable.

My main office pens are older than I am: a vintage Parker 51 and a Pelikan 400, both from the 1950s. They are still a reliable every day writing instrument. I have various others as well but don't like to show off my pens at the office. Thus the vintage workhorse pens are my favourites.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Sailor fountain pen from Japan. It's a nice one, with a gold nib and tortoise shell pattern. I have it tucked away in a drawer and keep forgetting to take it out, fill it, and use it. It's lovely to write with a fountain pen. Personally, however, I like to see a gentleman with a pocket square in his breast pocket. I really love those...so many lovely patterns to choose from. My stepfather had lovely ones - never matching his tie. My mother wouldn't allow it.