Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What is today's "popular Basenotes fragrance"?

So i've been doing a little reading around on here and see that there seems to be "trendy" fragrances that seem to come and go, only to be replaced by the next big thing. As an example, think of when Pure Malt ruled these forums and even had its own sub-forum only to lose its mantle eventually to the likes of Creed Aventus etc.

This led to the idea of a "today's hottest fragrance" kinda thread where we can post and keep track of the current popular fragrances which will slowly evolve over time. I reckon if we can keep this thread going long enough, it will make for some interesting reading to look back on the hype trends set here on Basenotes. I don't necessarily mean the most commercially popular as this will always be the likes of Acqua di Gio etc. I mean the most popular on these forums and amongst us fragrance aficionados.

So what is the most popular right now?
    Creed Aventus lid wanted: please pm if you can help

Default Re: What is today's "popular Basenotes fragrance"?

It's got to be Aventus and Dior Homme Intense.

lets wait for the results of basenotes awards .

Aventus

It really comes down to a question of who on basenotes. Among the hype crowd, it'll be Aventus. Among newer members and especially younger members, it'll be Aventus. But there's also a strong niche crowd here and I doubt Aventus would be their choice even though, in theory, Aventus is a niche scent. I say 'in theory' because Aventus is actually a very safe scent that smells more designer than niche to me.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    It really comes down to a question of who on basenotes. Among the hype crowd, it'll be Aventus. Among newer members and especially younger members, it'll be Aventus. But there's also a strong niche crowd here and I doubt Aventus would be their choice even though, in theory, Aventus is a niche scent. I say 'in theory' because Aventus is actually a very safe scent that smells more designer than niche to me.
    This is exactly what i'm hoping to see. There's often more than one fragrance hyped on Basenotes at any one time. Not to stereotype but you have:
    - Those who are just starting their fragrance journey and are still trying out all the designers
    - Those who have tried most designers and are dipping their toe into niche
    - Those who have tried the main niche fragrances (read: Creed, Tom Ford/Chanel exclusifs)
    - Those who have tried more niche (read: Andy Tauer, Montale, harder to find in department store stuff)
    - Those who have tried a lot of niche and are trying obscure niche most will not have heard of

This should hopefully allow for more than one or two fragrances to emerge as the current "most hyped" fragrance.
    Creed Aventus lid wanted: please pm if you can help

Nice thread idea.

I think Chanel's Sycomore has been getting allot of attention past winter.

Wondering what the most hyped spring/summer frag wil be..

Over the course of about 4 weeks I have seen more than one thread on

Aventus (with so much conspiracy and controversy concerning this one I doubt it will ever die)
    DHI
    Rive Gauche (much so that I decided to purchase the threads have sorta died on this one.....a very great purchase, glad its in my collection)

Yep - Aventus. And rightfully so.

Among niche houses, I think Slumberhouse has become quite popular. Slumberhouse has been mentioned on most fragrance article websites and has won several "best of" awards too.
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    2. Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    6. Strange Invisible Perfumes - Peloponnesian
    7. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    8. Diesel Green Masculine
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

Invasion Barbare
    Puredistance M

In high end niche
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_Trick View Post
    Invasion Barbare
    Puredistance M

In high end niche
    Yep. Bang on target.

Slumberhouse has a couple of dedicated threads that are constantly being contributed to by a few die-hard fans, but when people ask for high-end recommendations, it's M and IB that I think are most often mentioned.

I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post

I think there's going to be too many to mention.....just like every other thread. Everyone has their favorites.

Basenotes' hottest fragrances? Aventus, Pure Havane, Pure Malt, GIT, MI, DHI, LIDGE, Tobacco Vanille....on and on it goes...
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...-Vert-*SAMPLES

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    Basenotes' hottest fragrances? Aventus, Pure Havane, Pure Malt, GIT, MI, DHI, LIDGE, Tobacco Vanille....on and on it goes...
    Hahaha reading every one of those names makes me think "Oh yeah, there are lots of threads on that."
    A great list of the most-mentioned frags on BN, RedRaider.
    MiP is pushing hard for inclusion, too.

Spicebomb gets quite a bit of hype on the designer side. (Gotta admit, I do love it though).

When I joined Chergui, LADDM, MR, Amouage Reflection, and Pure Malt were talked about quite a bit. I still say GIT is the most talked about fragrance ever, but Aventus has pretty much been the hot topic for a couple of years now.

Ditto on this.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

It's been Aventus and DHI for a while it seems. The LIDGE hype died down mostly

Sound Scents

I would have to agree though I personally dislike them both.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

This is just another Aventus thread in a Disneyland costume.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH1016 View Post
    Spicebomb gets quite a bit of hype on the designer side. (Gotta admit, I do love it though).
    I'm actually surprised by how quickly the hype for Spicebomb seemed to disappear here. I haven't noticed it being talked about much here lately, if at all. Bleu seems to get more hype here these days than Spicebomb.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Lol. Good one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post
    This is just another Aventus thread in a Disneyland costume.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I'm actually surprised by how quickly the hype for Spicebomb seemed to disappear here. I haven't noticed it being talked about much here lately, if at all. Bleu seems to get more hype here these days than Spicebomb.
    Yep, I had the same thoughts. Surprising, since I think the general overall sentiment toward Spicebomb has been mostly favorable.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...-Vert-*SAMPLES

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Invasion Barbare
    Puredistance M

In high end niche
    I came "this close" to ordering samples of these two today. I've never smelled them. Curiosity is killing me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Lol. Good one.
    Mickey freaking Mouse am I.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I would have to agree though I personally dislike them both.
    This. I wouldn't say dislike. I just think their hype isn't warranted.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Anything Creed and anything that makes you smell like an old man haha (kidding.) But seriously I usually don't blind buy from BN suggestions, except for a few that I've been very happy with (minus Guerlain Habit Rouge.)

I guess it really depends on what you mean by "popular" or "hyped."

Someone mentioned Slumberhouse, but whoever said it's mostly contributions from some fans and such are pretty much correct. Those threads are generally used more as discussion and less as hype.

I'd say Jardin D'Amalfi has gotten a lot of positive attention lately, partly due to my thread I guess. Still, I've heard it mentioned a lot elsewhere off basenotes, but that may not really answer your question. I'd say DHI, Pure Malt, and Aventus are still popular topics, but not as much as they were in their peak.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    This about covers it. Maybe Sycomore, Ambra Mediterranea, and Jubilation XXV also...

When i became a member designer scents had more space on discussion.Now seems that niche became designer.LOL.

1. Aventus
    2. DHI
    3. LIDGE
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Midnight in Paris EDP (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

Apart from Aventus and DHI, maybe also GIT and, to a lesser extent, the "pure" ranges of AMen flankers.

Definitely Aventus!
    and by far distance DHI & LIDGE.

I think every scents name that is written with capitals only and everyone knows what it is.

DHI GIT LIDGE...

I would say Amouage is very "in" right now

So you hope to keep this thread going for years for reasons of historic interest?
    Good luck with that.

I have been collecting fragrances as a hobby for a year now. I have heard so much talk about Creed Millesime Imperial that I finally blind bought a bottle. I own Aventus and GIT, and do like them (just HATE the hype). I don't generally blind buy but I figured with all the Love for it I could sell it if I didn't like it. I must say it is a let-down. It smells forgettably generic. I understand the obsession with Aventus/GIT they smell totally unique...but this is a generic floral.

Quote Originally Posted by Danielstripedtiger View Post
    I have heard so much talk about Creed Millesime Imperial that I finally blind bought a bottle..... (just HATE the hype)....... I don't generally blind buy but I figured with all the Love for it I could sell it if I didn't like it. I must say it is a let-down. It smells forgettably generic.
    Shame to be caught up in the hype, I sampled MI after all the positive feedback on the forum, but wasn't keen either. Just glad I didn't blind buy... Can you return it? (No shirk wrap on Creed box - makes this easy...)
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Terre d'Hermes is often mentioned in the Starting Out-forum, it's a safe all-round choice to recommend to a newbie. How many times has it won Scent of the Year in the Basenotes Awards?

Shame to be caught up in the hype, I sampled MI after all the positive feedback on the forum, but wasn't keen either. Just glad I didn't blind buy... Can you return it? (No shirk wrap on Creed box - makes this easy...)
    It's no problem...I'll try it a few more times, , and then sell the whole bottle as "used" I've done it before with really popular frags, the resale value is almost as high as "New" In fact I was watching a bottle of Creed on EBAY a while back, it had 31 bids and up to $189...thing was you could get it new on Fragrancenet for $132!!!

I would think Invasion Barbare by MDCI...A wonderfully created masterpiece.

Basenotes Plus

Invasion Barbare
    Pure Distance M
    DHI
    and Jardin d' Amalfi has been getting alot of press as of late
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather

This looks to be a good idea for a thread.

Basenotes Plus

I'm surprised Encre Noir hasn't been mentioned. Outside of Aventus, this fragrance has piqued my interest just because of the numerous times it's been suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by FISS80 View Post
    and Jardin d' Amalfi has been getting alot of press as of late
    But it's soooo goood!!

For me, I'd say: GIT, DHI, and Aventus

Quote Originally Posted by Danielstripedtiger View Post
    I have been collecting fragrances as a hobby for a year now. I have heard so much talk about Creed Millesime Imperial that I finally blind bought a bottle. I own Aventus and GIT, and do like them (just HATE the hype). I don't generally blind buy but I figured with all the Love for it I could sell it if I didn't like it. I must say it is a let-down. It smells forgettably generic. I understand the obsession with Aventus/GIT they smell totally unique...but this is a generic floral.
    MI a generic floral? First time I've ever heard it described as generic and especially floral. Sounds like to me you bought a fake bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    MI a generic floral? First time I've ever heard it described as generic and especially floral. Sounds like to me you bought a fake bottle.
    Agreed. Not floral, also far from generic. Straight up beautiful.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Egoiste, Aventus, DHI take your pick

I haven't seen much on the threads recently regarding Encre Noir. It's good stuff, like Sycamore but a little more "dirty" vetiver, in a good way. It's cheap, worth a blind buy IMO if you like vetivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    I'm surprised Encre Noir hasn't been mentioned. Outside of Aventus, this fragrance has piqued my interest just because of the numerous times it's been suggested.

It was Terre D'Hermes back when I started. EVERYONE was mental about it!

Aventus. The "nothing special" frag that a lot of ppl glorify.

Jubilation?

Up on top its the flavor of the month Aventus & Co.

Deep within the bowels of BN, there are other things.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Junkie

Can someone explain to me why Vetiver by aron Aromatics is on top of popularity list?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
    Can someone explain to me why Vetiver by aron Aromatics is on top of popularity list?
    If you click on the number of wears, it looks like the user Francop has been wearing it multiple times during the month.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Aventus is still REALLY on top

I thought Bentley for Men Intense was going to overtake Aventus talk. And Slumberhouse is the new darling on the block here too.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
    It's 'Arran'. As in 'Isle of Arran', a remote Scottish island, where the perfumery is based.

'I have a son called Darren,
    And a daughter whose name is Karen.
    Without them my life would be barren,
    Like living on the Isle of Arran'.

Aventus may have been the last "super popular" one. Those that came before include LIDGE, DHI, TdH and Pure Malt, but it really depends upon what time period you are examining. Over the last few months I haven't detected one or a few that have stood out the way some others have over the last several years.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    If you click on the number of wears, it looks like the user Francop has been wearing it multiple times during the month.
    Perhaps that person is getting paid for promoting it or something? He/she posts the same scents like 20 times a day! Weird...