Code of Conduct

Default Suggest something similar to Antaeus

Hello everyone.
    I tried Chanel Antaeus several days ago and I really liked it, but my girlfriend finds it really offending. She said it smells like her grandfather and doesn't like it at all. I really like what the fragrance does and the energy that it kind of gives me.
    Can you suggest something similar, but maybe less offending? (if there is such thing)

Default Re: Suggest something similar to Antaeus

There is only one Antaeus, there are many girlfriends. You know what to do.

Oh, the mighty Antaeus...there's nothing like it. The scent of power.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

For a different scent that has similarities to Antaeus - similar vintage, complexity, projection, longevity, and impact in perfume history - try Kouros.

I see that you're 28. How old is she?

Antaeus is too much for post-modern tastes. There is nothing we can do.

Basenotes Plus

I concur.

Leave it at that...cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Oh, the mighty Antaeus...there's nothing like it. The scent of power.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

She is 30, but she really didn't like it. Actually it is the first time she dislike a fragrance that I wear so much.

When I first tried Antaeus my gf said it was offensive and smelled of old man. Several weeks later I bought it anyway as I had to have it. After a few wearings she has tolerated it a little better. It had become one of my favourites even thougj I get thr odd look once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    Yikes!

cuko
    Yeah, I might do the same thing and see what is going to happen. I can always wear it when I'm going out alone, anyway.

Blog Entries

My dad used to wear Antaeus, and in my quest to find him something similar but less *ahem* potent, I found him John Varvatos Vintage. He really likes it, so maybe give that a try.
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

Antaeus imho in many ways is similar to the Aramis classis, especially the top to mid smells almost the same. Difference is that while Aramis tends to get herbal dry incensy Antaeus gets into the directions of soft rose and beeswax. Antaeus is Aramis and Oscar pl mixed together and Chanel-ized and may be the sensibilities of Kouros reflected in it too.

As others were saying, it's hard to find something similar. But it really depends on what your girlfriend didn't like. If you like the musky feel of power, as others have suggested, you could check other vintage powerhouses of the era like Kouros (vintage, though, the reformulation is reportedly weaker), some of the Aramis (eg Aramis 900), Dior Jules. But perhaps she'll find them grandfatherly too.

Perhaps then Caron Yatagan. This was another butch powerhouse, but it reached its scope via a vegetal blast and a dark woody background. As Luca Turin commented, Yatagan goes for a menacing, high pitched, hissing tone, to most other masculines dark baritone.

Incidentally, sometimes I use Antaeus shower gel. It's excellent, close to the frag, but only lasts for the shower, so you can get some satisfaction from it, if shortlived.

cacio

Thank you all for your responds. I will definitely try Aramis.

Quote Originally Posted by Finally24 View Post
    Hello everyone.
    I tried Chanel Antaeus several days ago and I really liked it, but my girlfriend finds it really offending. She said it smells like her grandfather and doesn't like it at all. I really like what the fragrance does and the energy that it kind of gives me.
    Can you suggest something similar, but maybe less offending? (if there is such thing)
    The smell of new girlfriend.
    I smell marshmallows!

Quote Originally Posted by usedtowork View Post
    For a different scent that has similarities to Antaeus - similar vintage, complexity, projection, longevity, and impact in perfume history - try Kouros.
    That is one way to send her packing.....

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    .....Caron Yatagan.....
    I like Antaeus, but this one is better, and your gf will probably like it. But you should keep and wear the Antaeus whenever you want, when she's not around, etc.

Aramis smells like Antaeus.

While not 100% similar, Santos de Cartier, Esencia Loewe, Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme, Zino Davidoff and Aramis Tuscany all share, in different ways, a vibe somewhat resembling Antaeus and may get a better feedback.

LOL>> lovely antaeus... I remember the first time i tried it clearly in my mind. Well, santos is somewhat similar but without that honey-like drydown. I would suggest you other two good scents in the same vibe: troisieme man by Caron and Obsession by Calvin Klein.

Well said sir. Well said indeed! XD

Now now gentlemen... let's not be too hasty... we must first gather the necessary evidence before giving appropriate advice... so the question is, just how hot is the lady in question? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    I concur.

Leave it at that...cheers,

ericrico
    +10000

I found Versace Lhomme to have similar vibe to Antaeus, atleast to my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergius View Post
    hmmm...no.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    Now now gentlemen... let's not be too hasty... we must first gather the necessary evidence before giving appropriate advice... so the question is, just how hot is the lady in question? ;-)
    Slightly hotter than Antaeus, LOL. But she doesn't like most of my fragrances. Especially DHI, she finds it too sweet for a man. So I'm stuck with Bleu de Chanel when I go out, that is the only one she likes, apart of Azzaro Visit.

::whipcrack::

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    ::whipcrack::
    The evidence presented so far is that the lady in question is hotter than Antaeus...
    Finally24 is wise to make some effort to please such a specimen... such a prize is worth jumping a few hoops. ;-)

A fragrance I sometimes wear as an alternative to Antaeus is YSL M7.
    They are not the same, however they serve a similar purpose and climate.

Nothing smells like it. It is not on my top list either.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergius View Post
    Aramis and Antaeus are VERY DIFFERENT.

I know this is an aging thread, but I'd suggest that the OP try the after shave. It's less intense while still holding onto the pleasing mix of notes.

Sorry, none

Now, about your girlfriend: take Antaeus as a proof of her love to you. Use it, if she is too pushy about you smelling like a Grandpa being a fact that you like... sorry, she is not the one for you. Better tell her good bye before it is too late - imagine a future with a woman that won't let you enjoy the things you enjoy: first the cologne, then the beer, then the beer with friends, then the beers with friends and poker, and so on, You will end up being an emasculated, betamale with a bossy wife, two and a half children, a dog and two cars, getting from work to your home 5 times a week and weekends spent with her family and friends.

Do yourself a favor. Don't leave Antaeus behind. You will regret it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    The evidence presented so far is that the lady in question is hotter than Antaeus...
    Finally24 is wise to make some effort to please such a specimen... such a prize is worth jumping a few hoops. ;-)

A fragrance I sometimes wear as an alternative to Antaeus is YSL M7.
    They are not the same, however they serve a similar purpose and climate.
    Do you mean Quorum, Kouros, Antaeus and Aramis are girlfriend-testing devices?

+1 Very true

There is nothing old man about Antaeus lol.. Awakening is right but if she finds it too strong ( its not), I suggest the deodorant, its really good and when it blends with your sweat glands it creates a nice sweet musky aura around you.

If a girl did not like me when I wear my fav Kouros ( never happened btw) . My mom and sister love when I wear Kouros .So there you go, something which might be trivial can reveal volumes about the relationship.
    Last edited by vinramani09; 25th July 2014 at 05:44 PM.

As mention above, Santos de Cartier has a similar "aura". Do also check out Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui.

Basenotes Plus

There is a lot of truth here...olfactory taste is not about smell. We CHOOSE to wear a scent that we feel expresses ourselves, as men! Sexual orientation is even less important here. To wear what is your pleasure should be natural. If your girl is hotter than the Antaeus today, that is irrelevant. She will get older, perhaps have babies and put on weight. Do you wait to pull out the Antaeus when she's past her prime? That is, no offense, absurd. Pollux and vinramani09 both offer valid opinions.

Mine is this. We are drawn to one another (beyond just physical attraction) for many reasons. Finding true love means that you cherish someone's faults as much as their 'assets' - and I don't mean financial, positive traits. We're all human. We're all flawed. No one is perfect. To give up a beloved scent because a girl doesn't like it means your taste and her's do not match. Superficial now - realities later can be what Pollux is referring to.

There are scents that have 'associations', for all of us. My wife and I both were in high school in the late 80's and early 90's (plus college). Certain fragrances from that era remind us of other former ex's, etc. But, there is nothing 'off-limits'. It's simply a matter of - "Do I mind if I smell like a guy she dated 20 years ago?" Insecure guy answer is not to wear it. I would. Hell, I am right now. I am in a full wearing of Original Vintage Calvin Klein Obsession for Men. Freezing cold night. Cozy, warm and a scent with memories for both of us. But, those are just that - memories. Confidence is important here.

I have 'safe' scents, as we all do. They get the absolute least amount of wearings by me. You go around but once in life. A lot of women are particular about what they want their man to smell like. I can appreciate 'suggestions' and love to wear something she's in the mood for on me, but my wife never tells me NOT to wear something.

Just for kicks...do a compatability test with her (entirely separate and compare answers). You will, perhaps, reveal a lot more than if she's hot. People need to realize that commitment is accepting someone fully - not trying to change them into something they're not and give up their passions, taste, and pleasures.

Cheers and good luck - I hope you do what makes YOU happy, in the end...

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    +1 Very true

There is nothing old man about Antaeus lol.. Awakening is right but if she finds it too strong ( its not), I suggest the deodorant, its really good and when it blends with your sweat glands it creates a nice sweet musky aura around you.

If a girl did not like me when I wear my fav Kouros ( never happened btw) . My mom and sister love when I wear Kouros and so does my fiancee. So there you go, something which might be trivial can reveal volumes about the relationship.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoy View Post
    Aramis and Antaeus are VERY DIFFERENT.
    They smell very different to me too
    (1263)
    Last edited by hednic; 7th December 2013 at 07:58 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Ericrico, you are so right. Btw, didn't you just get some vintage Antaeus apres rasage? Please post about your impression, when you get a chance.

Basenotes Plus

Hey cytherian -

Thank you. And, yes, I did get a wonderful Vintage bottle of Antaeus Apres Rasage recently...it is brilliant. I also (my humble thanks to Vin!), was able to get a NIB/Sealed bottle of the lost treasure - Antaeus Pour Homme Sport Cologne!!!

Both smell absolutely amazing! When I dabbed the Apres Rasage on my hand and let my wife (of 14 years) sniff its depth & beauty...she loved it!! The wonderful castoreum, oakmoss, florals, patchouli and labdanum blend perfectly with the herbal/green notes. I could write more but will leave it at this - either you love this scent of you don't. You can go back-and-forth with other scents, but certain animalic creations either blend with your skin chemistry & taste, or they don't. Period. Vintage Kouros is another perfect example.

Cheers,

ericrico

+1

for sure.