Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Help finding a new men's signature fragrance (mid 30s)

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Songe d'un Bois d'Ete (Guerlain)
    Bois d'Orage (Frederic Malle)
    I love Bois d'Orage but on me at least it projects like a beast in the heat. People walking by are transported to a sweet green jungle.

Wow...thank you for the great ideas! It looks like I've got my work cut out for me this weekend. I'm excited to try these different options. I've literally enjoyed scents of all styles, notes and price ranges so I am an open book. I'd prefer to find something that I can purchase somewhat easily, so perhaps many of the boutique fragrances will be difficult to acquire.
    Currently wearing: Nevermore by Frapin

terre, london or antidote for autumn/winter.
    bvlgari extreme for spring/summer.
    Seasonal favorites :

Winter : The Dreamer & Burberry London
    Spring-Autumn : Bvlgari Pour Homme & Aqua Fahrenheit
    Summer : Bvlgari Aqva & Bvlgari Extreme
    All-Rounders : Prada Man & Bleu de Chanel

Vetiver Extraordinaire

Basenotes Junkie

TdH or Jubilation (applied lightly)

OK...I went out and tried some some different scents and I think I've made a decision. Here's what I trued out and thought...

- Terre d'Hermes...so many people ranted and raved, that I HAD to try. I loved the citrus, it smelled classic without smelling too much like my dad or grandpa. Ended up purchasing the EDT.
    - YSL...again, really enjoyed the scent, but it smelled very dated to me. I kept thinking it smelled like something from the 1990s but in a good way. I think this might be a good summer scent for next year.
    - Platinum Egoist Chanel...enjoyed this scent. It is something I would definitely wear. The sales lady at Sacks gave my a generous sample. Gonna try it out this week.
    - Bleu Chanel...For some reason, I didn't want to like this one. Perhaps it was a little "boring" or safe, but I was given some samples, and the more I wore it, the more I enjoyed it. I think it would hold up as a year-round scent. It's very masculine and sporty and yet age appropriate. It's something that I could wear in almost every situation. I bought a small EDT.
    - Green Irish Tweed...Unfortunately, Saks doesn't carry this fragrance, but next time I am near Neiman Marcus, I will sample..
    - Habit Rouge...I loved the fact that this is about as classic as one can get, but I was not a fan. Perhaps it was too powdery or something. There was something about the dry down that did not set well with me. I do appreciate the historical nature of the scent, but it is probably a little too mature ("old man") for me. It does smell like something my grandfather would have worn. He was very fashion forward and dapper, but alas, I don't think I want to smell like him.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated! What does everyone think of Spice Bomb or Dolce and Gabanna Homme? I wore D and G when I was in college and still enjoy it when I'm going out to a club or to party in Vegas, and I think Spice Bomb is a similar scent for that occasion. Am I wrong?

Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Azzaro pour Homme
    Declaration & Declaration Cologne

Last edited by Darjeeling; 9th April 2013 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Just saw you've already tested all my suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM85282 View Post
    OK...I went out and tried some some different scents and I think I've made a decision. Here's what I trued out and thought...

- Terre d'Hermes...so many people ranted and raved, that I HAD to try. I loved the citrus, it smelled classic without smelling too much like my dad or grandpa. Ended up purchasing the EDT.
    - YSL...again, really enjoyed the scent, but it smelled very dated to me. I kept thinking it smelled like something from the 1990s but in a good way. I think this might be a good summer scent for next year.
    - Platinum Egoist Chanel...enjoyed this scent. It is something I would definitely wear. The sales lady at Sacks gave my a generous sample. Gonna try it out this week.
    - Bleu Chanel...For some reason, I didn't want to like this one. Perhaps it was a little "boring" or safe, but I was given some samples, and the more I wore it, the more I enjoyed it. I think it would hold up as a year-round scent. It's very masculine and sporty and yet age appropriate. It's something that I could wear in almost every situation. I bought a small EDT.- Green Irish Tweed...Unfortunately, Saks doesn't carry this fragrance, but next time I am near Neiman Marcus, I will sample..
    - Habit Rouge...I loved the fact that this is about as classic as one can get, but I was not a fan. Perhaps it was too powdery or something. There was something about the dry down that did not set well with me. I do appreciate the historical nature of the scent, but it is probably a little too mature ("old man") for me. It does smell like something my grandfather would have worn. He was very fashion forward and dapper, but alas, I don't think I want to smell like him.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated! What does everyone think of Spice Bomb or Dolce and Gabanna Homme? I wore D and G when I was in college and still enjoy it when I'm going out to a club or to party in Vegas, and I think Spice Bomb is a similar scent for that occasion. Am I wrong?
    Cant go wrong with Chanel Bleu. Its perfect for what you are looking for. Can wear it all year long, perfect in a office enviroment and well liked by most people. Give YSL another chance when you can. That would go well with that when you want to switch up.

I suggest you try Le Labo Bergamot 22. For a warm climate you could wear it year round. One of my all-time favorites! Aventus would be a safe bet but everyone will say that.

Amouage Reflection, Gucci Pour Homme 2, and Terre D'Hermes/Cartier Declaration/Declaration L'Essense come to mind.

- - - Updated - - -

And Maison Francis Kurkdjian APOM...great for warm weather...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fit&frag'd View Post
    I'd test or seek out samples of:
    Dior Homme & Dior Homme Sport
    Creed Green Irish Tweed & Original Vetiver
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Terre d'Hermes
    Guerlain Homme & flankers
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste & Allure Homme Sport eau Extreme
    Frapin L'Humaniste
    MFK APOM Pour Homme
    Wow! You listed 3 out of the 5 that I listed, and I didn't even read the thread before responding! Great minds! In fact, many of our answers are consistent with one anothers, as I have seen several of the same fragrances mentioned, GPH2 and TDH probably the most...

Someone else suggested Allure Pour Homme, and that one came to mind, as well as Ferragamo F Black...

- - - Updated - - -

D&G Ph is an excellent scent! You should definetely consider that. And I don't know if you'll consider this old school smelling, but Armani Pour Homme is nice for just about any occassion. I am strongly considering a purchase...

Quote Originally Posted by cuko View Post
    May I suggest Chanel Egoiste
    I second this excellent recommendation. It's right for your age, complex and most certainly sophisticated.

If you are close to Mesa you can go to The Perfume Shoppe to try more of the niche fragrances people are suggesting.

For easily accessible fragrances I would suggest
    Chanel Egoiste
    Cartier Pasha or Declaration
    Hanae Mori HM

For niche
    Amouage Tribute Attar
    Amouage Epic Man
    Montale Aoud Lime
    Puredistance M

Update....So, this past week, I was able to check out some additional fragrances...

Platinum Egoist: This is something that I think I can get into. It's just the right amount of sophistication and complexity. The only problem is that I already bought TdH and Bleu, but this is next on my list.
    YSL...Tried it again. This is another one that I really wanted to love, but it seems a little generic for me. It's a shame because this would be a perfect summer fragrance for me, but I'm going to have to pass until next summer. Perhaps it will grow on me until then

...but the real scent that I NEED to discuss...

Aventus....I went to Neiman Marcus and was browsing the aisle. My brother is a little obsessed with this scent, and his birthday is coming up, so I went to get him something special, so I I thought I'd get him a bottle. All I can say is WOW! I've seen people discuss this on the forums, and I wasn't sure about the hype. I tried it, and I was hooked! I have heard that each batch is slightly different. The sample that I tried was very fruity, but the bottle I bought (yes, I ended up keeping it for myself...sorry, Matt. I'll get you another one) smells very smoky. In fact, that's all I smell. It make me think of my days as a Boy Scout when we'd go camping and roast marshmallows over the campfire. It also make me think of my college days when we would go out to smoky night clubs and we'd walk out smelling like smoke. I can barely detect any pineapple, but I do sense fruity smoke. Does anyone know what the "smoky" batches are?

Regardless, I have to say that after spraying the sample and then wearing the actual bottle I purchased to work, I was completely inundated with compliments and literally had women coming up to me and sniffing me. I took this as a compliment, although my wife probably wouldn't appreciate the attention...(I am a teacher, so I do work with a lot of women). This scent is literally out of control. I tend to have projection issues with most fragrances...I think it has something to do with my skin and body chemistry, but even though I couldn't smell this on myself, others immediately took notice.