Code of Conduct

Default Help finding a new men's signature fragrance (mid 30s)

I need some help and ideas in finding a couple of new signature fragrances. I've always loved to rotate my fragrances, but I am now ready to settle down with a couple of well-chosen favorites. Here is my situation and background....
    - I would like something age appropriate. I am in my mid 30s. I am married, have two kids, have a real job, have a mortgage, etc. I am looking for something complex and sophisticated without smelling like my dad or my 21-year-old cousin.
    - I live in a warm climate (Arizona) where the colder seasons are short and the hotter seasons are longer. I would like to limit myself to a fall/winter and a spring/summer scent. It gets pretty warm here and stays warm for a long time.
    - As stated earlier, I have a "real" salaried job, but my job allows me to dress mostly business casual. I would like something age appropriate and sophisticated, but I am not afraid of standing out and making a statement.
    - Finally, I would like something that is versatile that I could wear to work in the morning and again when my wife and I go out for a date night.

Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

Default Re: Help finding a new men's signature fragrance (mid 30s)

Bulgari Eau Parfumee au The Vert.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post
    Bulgari Eau Parfumee au The Vert.
    Isn't that one too soft for him? I imagined this guy would want something more macho.

Gucci Pour Homme II

I have a few suggestions for you that all fit the bill:

Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extrême
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    Chanel Bleu de Chanel
    Burberry for Men
    Mont Blanc Legend
    Versace pour Homme
    YSL L'homme

If you want something complex and sophisticated and classic and appropriate for a night out with your wife, try out HABIT ROUGE EDC. It is a masculine powdery fragrance. It is in my top ten list. I have to admit that it might fall on the "perfumes my dad would wear" category. But it is a masterpiece nonetheless.

- - - Updated - - -

For the day, why not be sophisticated enough to wear a floral for men? L'Ombre Dans L'Eau is very fresh, very green, sharp and delicious, with a green rose in the middle. I bet your wife will love it.

Armani Bois d'Encens would work well in that dry, dusty Arizona heat. I wouldn't call it complex but it's definitely sophisticated, very exclusive, and you definitely won't end up smelling like a college kid or your dad.

Habit Rouge definitely smells powdery, more like an old man. But I'm speaking of the EDT, which I couldn't get myself to like.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    If you want something complex and sophisticated and classic and appropriate for a night out with your wife, try out HABIT ROUGE EDC. It is a masculine powdery fragrance. It is in my top ten list. I have to admit that it might fall on the "perfumes my dad would wear" category. But it is a masterpiece nonetheless.

- - - Updated - - -

For the day, why not be sophisticated enough to wear a floral for men? L'Ombre Dand L'Eau is very fresh, very green, sharp and delicious, with a green rose in the middle. I bet your wife will love it.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Habit Rouge definitely smells powdery, more like an old man. But I'm speaking of the EDT, which I couldn't get myself to like.
    The EDC is powdery too, but has a more complex top. It has more citrus and the citrus lasts longer and mixes with the middle notes.

Platinum Egoiste
    Esencia Loewe
    Derby
    GIT
    hinoki
    JXXV
    Clive Christian V
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Sounds like another job for...Creed Green Irish Tweed or Burberry London or Gucci Pour Homme II or Cereus 7 or Parfums de Nicholai Cologne Cedrat or Creed Millesime Imperial.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Vetiver Geranium, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...Ess-de-Cerruti

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Vetiver Geranium, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Take a trip to Nordstrom and sample these:

Gucci Pour Homme II.
    Bvlgari MAN.
    Terre D'hermes.
    Tom Ford For Men.
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Banned

Gucci Pour Homme II
    Green irish Tweed
    Chanel Allure Homme
    And of course... The Aventus

You'd probably get better feedback if you listed what you own/what type of scents you like. Plenty of ways you could go while still being versatile (a lot of good recommendations are listed).

I think TdH fits the bill. Great for warmer climate and woods come out when its cooler. It is great for people in their 30s and 40s and perfect for an office job.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Burberry London

AdP Colonia Intensa
    Guerlain Heritage (although maybe Habit Rouge L'Eau would be a better idea based on how hot Arizona is)
    Last edited by andym72; 27th March 2013 at 01:11 AM.

May I suggest Chanel Egoiste

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    Sounds like another job for...Creed Green Irish Tweed or Burberry London or Gucci Pour Homme II or Cereus 7 or Parfums de Nicholai Cologne Cedrat or Creed Millesime Imperial.
    GIT comes off as a scent for men in their 20's for me where as Bois du Portugal seems more age appropriate.
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

Derby.

Classy and versatile.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I'd test or seek out samples of:
    Dior Homme & Dior Homme Sport
    Creed Green Irish Tweed & Original Vetiver
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Terre d'Hermes
    Guerlain Homme & flankers
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste & Allure Homme Sport eau Extreme
    Frapin L'Humaniste
    MFK APOM Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by VintagePoison View Post
    GIT comes off as a scent for men in their 20's for me where as Bois du Portugal seems more age appropriate.
    It's funny how different people interpret the same smell. To me, GIT doesn't smell 20's at all. It smells mature but not at all old. But I don't wear it because, to me, it also smells very conservative.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Lorenzo Villoresi "Uomo"

Green Irish Tweed

What's your budget?

The following are great for the warm weather

Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    Guerlain - Vetiver
    Davidoff - Cool Water
    Dior - Fahrenheit
    Hermes - Terre D'Hermes
    CdG - CdG Man 2
    F.Malle - Vetivier Extraordinaire
    Le Labo - Rose 31
    MFK - Aqua Universalis forte
    Creed - GiT
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Songe d'un Bois d'Ete (Guerlain)
    Sycomore (Chanel)
    Timbuktu (L'Artisan)
    Ormonde Man (Ormonde Jayne)
    Yohji Homme (Yohji Yamamoto)
    Oud Shamash (The Different Company)
    Jubilation XXV (Amouage)
    Invasion Barbare (MDCI)
    1740 (Histoires de Parfums)
    Rive Gauche pour Homme (in the can)
    Arsene Lupin Dandy (Guerlain)
    XIII Treizieme Heure (Cartier)
    Bois d'Orage (Frederic Malle)

Dior Eau Sauvage EDT
    Chanel pour Monsieur
    YSL pour Homme

If you want to smell unique:

+1 L Artisan Parfumeur Timbuktu
    +1 Frederic Malle French Lover (Bois d Orage in USA)

For more mainstream options:
    +1 Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    +1 Hermes Terre d'Hermes
    +1 Bulgari Man
    Lalique Encre Noire
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Hommage à l'Homme (Lalique): what I'll call a woody-spicy smoothness Very nice!
    More classic, with eau sauvage vibe: L'eau de l'Artisan (Artisan Parfumeur).

I also think Guerlain Homme EDP Intense could do it!
    Last edited by Letitbenose; 27th March 2013 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Typo

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme and Allure Homme is what i think would be appropriate

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Songe d'un Bois d'Ete (Guerlain)
    Bois d'Orage (Frederic Malle)
    I love Bois d'Orage but on me at least it projects like a beast in the heat. People walking by are transported to a sweet green jungle.

Wow...thank you for the great ideas! It looks like I've got my work cut out for me this weekend. I'm excited to try these different options. I've literally enjoyed scents of all styles, notes and price ranges so I am an open book. I'd prefer to find something that I can purchase somewhat easily, so perhaps many of the boutique fragrances will be difficult to acquire.

terre, london or antidote for autumn/winter.
    bvlgari extreme for spring/summer.
    Seasonal favorites :

Winter : The Dreamer & Burberry London & La Nuit de L'Homme
    Spring-Autumn : Aqua Fahrenheit & Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Summer : Bvlgari Extreme & Bvlgari Aqva & Bvlgari Aqva Marine
    All-Rounders : Terre D'Hermes & Bleu de Chanel

Indispensible : The Dreamer & Bvlgari Extreme & Bvlgari Pour Homme & Bvlgari Aqva

Vetiver Extraordinaire

TdH or Jubilation (applied lightly)

OK...I went out and tried some some different scents and I think I've made a decision. Here's what I trued out and thought...

- Terre d'Hermes...so many people ranted and raved, that I HAD to try. I loved the citrus, it smelled classic without smelling too much like my dad or grandpa. Ended up purchasing the EDT.
    - YSL...again, really enjoyed the scent, but it smelled very dated to me. I kept thinking it smelled like something from the 1990s but in a good way. I think this might be a good summer scent for next year.
    - Platinum Egoist Chanel...enjoyed this scent. It is something I would definitely wear. The sales lady at Sacks gave my a generous sample. Gonna try it out this week.
    - Bleu Chanel...For some reason, I didn't want to like this one. Perhaps it was a little "boring" or safe, but I was given some samples, and the more I wore it, the more I enjoyed it. I think it would hold up as a year-round scent. It's very masculine and sporty and yet age appropriate. It's something that I could wear in almost every situation. I bought a small EDT.
    - Green Irish Tweed...Unfortunately, Saks doesn't carry this fragrance, but next time I am near Neiman Marcus, I will sample..
    - Habit Rouge...I loved the fact that this is about as classic as one can get, but I was not a fan. Perhaps it was too powdery or something. There was something about the dry down that did not set well with me. I do appreciate the historical nature of the scent, but it is probably a little too mature ("old man") for me. It does smell like something my grandfather would have worn. He was very fashion forward and dapper, but alas, I don't think I want to smell like him.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated! What does everyone think of Spice Bomb or Dolce and Gabanna Homme? I wore D and G when I was in college and still enjoy it when I'm going out to a club or to party in Vegas, and I think Spice Bomb is a similar scent for that occasion. Am I wrong?

Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Azzaro pour Homme
    Declaration & Declaration Cologne

Last edited by Darjeeling; 9th April 2013 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Just saw you've already tested all my suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM85282 View Post
    OK...I went out and tried some some different scents and I think I've made a decision. Here's what I trued out and thought...

- Terre d'Hermes...so many people ranted and raved, that I HAD to try. I loved the citrus, it smelled classic without smelling too much like my dad or grandpa. Ended up purchasing the EDT.
    - YSL...again, really enjoyed the scent, but it smelled very dated to me. I kept thinking it smelled like something from the 1990s but in a good way. I think this might be a good summer scent for next year.
    - Platinum Egoist Chanel...enjoyed this scent. It is something I would definitely wear. The sales lady at Sacks gave my a generous sample. Gonna try it out this week.
    - Bleu Chanel...For some reason, I didn't want to like this one. Perhaps it was a little "boring" or safe, but I was given some samples, and the more I wore it, the more I enjoyed it. I think it would hold up as a year-round scent. It's very masculine and sporty and yet age appropriate. It's something that I could wear in almost every situation. I bought a small EDT.- Green Irish Tweed...Unfortunately, Saks doesn't carry this fragrance, but next time I am near Neiman Marcus, I will sample..
    - Habit Rouge...I loved the fact that this is about as classic as one can get, but I was not a fan. Perhaps it was too powdery or something. There was something about the dry down that did not set well with me. I do appreciate the historical nature of the scent, but it is probably a little too mature ("old man") for me. It does smell like something my grandfather would have worn. He was very fashion forward and dapper, but alas, I don't think I want to smell like him.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated! What does everyone think of Spice Bomb or Dolce and Gabanna Homme? I wore D and G when I was in college and still enjoy it when I'm going out to a club or to party in Vegas, and I think Spice Bomb is a similar scent for that occasion. Am I wrong?
    Cant go wrong with Chanel Bleu. Its perfect for what you are looking for. Can wear it all year long, perfect in a office enviroment and well liked by most people. Give YSL another chance when you can. That would go well with that when you want to switch up.

I suggest you try Le Labo Bergamot 22. For a warm climate you could wear it year round. One of my all-time favorites! Aventus would be a safe bet but everyone will say that.

Amouage Reflection, Gucci Pour Homme 2, and Terre D'Hermes/Cartier Declaration/Declaration L'Essense come to mind.

- - - Updated - - -

And Maison Francis Kurkdjian APOM...great for warm weather...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fit&frag'd View Post
    I'd test or seek out samples of:
    Dior Homme & Dior Homme Sport
    Creed Green Irish Tweed & Original Vetiver
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Terre d'Hermes
    Guerlain Homme & flankers
    Chanel Platinum Egoiste & Allure Homme Sport eau Extreme
    Frapin L'Humaniste
    MFK APOM Pour Homme
    Wow! You listed 3 out of the 5 that I listed, and I didn't even read the thread before responding! Great minds! In fact, many of our answers are consistent with one anothers, as I have seen several of the same fragrances mentioned, GPH2 and TDH probably the most...

Someone else suggested Allure Pour Homme, and that one came to mind, as well as Ferragamo F Black...

- - - Updated - - -

D&G Ph is an excellent scent! You should definetely consider that. And I don't know if you'll consider this old school smelling, but Armani Pour Homme is nice for just about any occassion. I am strongly considering a purchase...

Quote Originally Posted by cuko View Post
    May I suggest Chanel Egoiste
    I second this excellent recommendation. It's right for your age, complex and most certainly sophisticated.

If you are close to Mesa you can go to The Perfume Shoppe to try more of the niche fragrances people are suggesting.

For easily accessible fragrances I would suggest
    Chanel Egoiste
    Cartier Pasha or Declaration
    Hanae Mori HM

For niche
    Amouage Tribute Attar
    Amouage Epic Man
    Montale Aoud Lime
    Puredistance M

Update....So, this past week, I was able to check out some additional fragrances...

Platinum Egoist: This is something that I think I can get into. It's just the right amount of sophistication and complexity. The only problem is that I already bought TdH and Bleu, but this is next on my list.
    YSL...Tried it again. This is another one that I really wanted to love, but it seems a little generic for me. It's a shame because this would be a perfect summer fragrance for me, but I'm going to have to pass until next summer. Perhaps it will grow on me until then

...but the real scent that I NEED to discuss...

Aventus....I went to Neiman Marcus and was browsing the aisle. My brother is a little obsessed with this scent, and his birthday is coming up, so I went to get him something special, so I I thought I'd get him a bottle. All I can say is WOW! I've seen people discuss this on the forums, and I wasn't sure about the hype. I tried it, and I was hooked! I have heard that each batch is slightly different. The sample that I tried was very fruity, but the bottle I bought (yes, I ended up keeping it for myself...sorry, Matt. I'll get you another one) smells very smoky. In fact, that's all I smell. It make me think of my days as a Boy Scout when we'd go camping and roast marshmallows over the campfire. It also make me think of my college days when we would go out to smoky night clubs and we'd walk out smelling like smoke. I can barely detect any pineapple, but I do sense fruity smoke. Does anyone know what the "smoky" batches are?

Regardless, I have to say that after spraying the sample and then wearing the actual bottle I purchased to work, I was completely inundated with compliments and literally had women coming up to me and sniffing me. I took this as a compliment, although my wife probably wouldn't appreciate the attention...(I am a teacher, so I do work with a lot of women). This scent is literally out of control. I tend to have projection issues with most fragrances...I think it has something to do with my skin and body chemistry, but even though I couldn't smell this on myself, others immediately took notice.