Code of Conduct

Default So when do women typically grow out of the Viva La Juicy phase?

I'm curious. I've watched about a bajizillion collection videos and the divide between the younger ladies and the more adult women seem to be significant with the sweet and fruity frags. Is it something women naturally outgrow as their tastes change? Or do you feel it doesn't seem approriate as you mature.

I ain't gonna lie. I like Viva La Juicy and that Ed Hardy one on women. But I do get that it can be interpreted as "pretty, girly, and youthful"

Hey, I'm a 30 year old dude. But I have Paris Hilton for Him proudly represented in my fragrance wardrobe. It smells like cucumber and watermelon lotion but for dudes (REALLY MANLY DUDES). It's flirty. It's fun. It's casual. And I reserve it for occasions like I dunno music festivals, a picnic, the beach maybe???.

Ok, so I really don't do any of those things, and that "youthful activities" fragrance has been collecting dust. The dust is even collecting dust. But a scenario might come along where my Paris Hilton would be the beezneez and I will be 100% prepared for that moment

I guess I don't want to close the door on being young at heart just yet. And i was wondering if that transition is slow or do you just wake up and realize your over it.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: So when do women typically grow out of the Viva La Juicy phase?

I can't speak for others but I was past the really sweet florals by my mid 20s.

I was past them in my teens, in my mid teens I was doing the classic chypres.
    DONNA

Did your tastes change or did you feel it was inappropriate?

Around the 108th period I think assuming a regular menstrual cycle.

for swap/sale:

Oh gosh, you guys! LOL

In my mid-40s here, and still love me a real sweet fruity floral. Not very familiar with Viva la Juice though, can't say about this one at all!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Tastes changed. I still like florals, just not the really sweet stuff.

Well, romeo, I think this question is a hard one to unpack.

So, I don't think most women (or people generally) start off wearing a fragrance because they think it's age-appropriate. I think people find something they like, and they wear it.

And many people just plain *like* a fruity-floral smell. I doubt a lot people would say that, for example, Clinque Happy smells BAD. (I say that with some confidence, given its sales numbers.) It's, appropriately enough, a HAPPY-smelling fragrance. Nothing wrong with that. And some people are content to stick with that kind of smell simply because they like it, and they feel good wearing it.

Other people, though, start to enjoy complexity in fragrance as they begin to try new and different fragrances -- it's often just a matter of exposure to other possibilities. The same thing happens with food, wine, beer, etc. Tastes evolve -- but I'm not sure that it has much to do with notions of what's "appropriate" at a given age. I know a 50 year old woman who wears J Lo Glo and loves it.

In my 20s, I wore Happy and Curve and Pleasures, and I don't *dislike* any of them now, nor do I think it's "inappropriate" for me, at 43, to wear them. Hell, my 75 year old mother wears Pleasures and adores it.

Now, I don't wear Happy or Curve or Pleasures anymore because they don't interest me enough. There's not enough going on for me. I still wear "fruity florals" -- but the ones I like tend to have a bit more going on than most of the fragrances at the department store. Remember, all of the following are technically "fruity florals":
    • Robert Piguet Visa (peach, pear, bergamot, mandarin, ylang-ylang, rose, and orange blossom)
    • HdP 1804 (pineapple, peach, gardenia, jasmine, rose, LOTV)
    • By Kilian Beyond Love (coconut, jasmine, tuberose)
    • Frederic Malle Carnal Flower (bergamot, melon, ylang-ylang, jasmine, tuberose, orange blossom, coconut)
    • Feminite du Bois (plum, violet)
    • Impossible Iris (raspberry, iris)

I don't think I'll ever "outgrow" these, nor do I think there's any reason to. It's not a question of age-appropriate; it's a question of what you *prefer*.

Many of the women I know begin prefer some complexity as they mature because they find it interesting. Others like to keep things simple. Nothing wrong with that.

As for "bubblegum" fragrances, well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I never liked them even when I was a teenager. My first fragrances were the original, pre-formulation early 80s Halston, Poison, and Giorgio
    Last edited by ExtremeK; 27th March 2013 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by romeocasido View Post
    I guess I don't want to close the door on being young at heart just yet. And i was wondering if that transition is slow or do you just wake up and realize your over it.
    Whoa, man. Don't read so much into people's perfume choices! Be young at heart and wear whatever perfume smells good to you. In fact, I think part of being young at heart is about not worrying about whether your fragrance is "age appropriate," whatever that may mean.

Quote Originally Posted by romeocasido View Post
    So when do women typically grow out of the Viva La Juicy phase?
    When some 'click' happen in their brain, can be a child, meet a real man/woman, they randomly start thinking about themselves instead of everyone else, ...
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Dunno, I started wearing Dior Poison at 18... that was my first real big girl perfume in my mind. Then it was on to Ysatis...