Code of Conduct

Thread: Best Verbena

Default Best Verbena

What is the best verbena/verveine fragrance? Can be for either gender or unisex. I would prefer natural and more classical compositions, but am open to any.

Default Re: Best Verbena

L'Occitane offered three verveine colognes last summer. All were fairly simple but quite nice and very refreshing. Heeley also offers a beautiful rendition of verveine.

Don't have a lot of experience with the note, but the Heeley mentioned above is a nice one.

These are not "just" Verbena, but have it front and centre when you first put them on.
    Eau du Sud
    Eau de Guerlain

Either of these would be a great place to start a Verbena addiction.

I vote for Eau du Sud. It is the perfect example of good use of Verbena.

I like Eau de Guerlain. Turin however reports that the latest reformulation, which I have not smelled, is not as good as the previous ones.

cacio

L'Occitane Verveine

I haven't found a good verbena to be honest.

for swap/sale:

Any other thoughts? I know verbena is an overlooked note these days despite being popular in Victorian through the Art Deco eras.

Eau de Guerlain. And the current version is perfectly serviceable. It also goes very well with the various L'Occitane verbena-scented products.

Green Water from Jacques Fath.
    Both the vintage and the recent reissue are excellent. To my nose they haven't tampered with this one.

Also, if you can find it the vintage Eau de Vetyver from Lanvin. NOT the relaunch from 2003, (this is a dreadful concoction that has absolutely nothing to do with the original Lanvin vetyver !!) The original version of Vetyver from Lanvin is a perfect 50/50 fusion of vetiver and verbena. It works wonderfully and is a really alive juice that the nose never tires of. If ever there was a fragrance that "dances" on you it's this one. Really worth tracking down !
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Green Water from Jacques Fath.
    Both the vintage and the recent reissue are excellent. To my nose they haven't tampered with this one.
    I agree on the choice, but to my nose they have tampered plenty by adding a whole boatload of indolic jasmine to the re-issue that changes the fragrance profile considerably. The vintage is sublime and highly recommended, however.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

My favorite that is still being made is Vervain by Provence Santé. 100mls goes for $30, and this webiste often has sales when it's reduced to $24. They also carry the matching body products.
    http://www.baudelairesoaps.com/catal...&submit=Search

I notice Provence Santé also makes a men's cologne, Verlaine, which is verbena and linden. I love Provence Santé's Linden so I imagine Verlaine is also nice.

Fortunately this brand is inexpensive enough that a blind buy is not so terrible a risk.

I enjoy my older bottle of Monsieur de Givenchy. It has a good verbena note.

Most of the bath and body line at L'Occitane has a verbena something or other. Can't be beat.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Don't have a lot of experience with the note, but the Heeley mentioned above is a nice one.
    Agree

Basenotes Plus

+1 and I strongly concur with Eau du Sud. Gorgeous.

A classic with an amazing Verbena (Lemon Verbena, precisely) is Vintage Monsieur de Givenchy, as mentioned by rhaybans. Brilliant.

Both are near-perfect compositions and will be wonderful in the coming, warm Spring & Summer months ahead...

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    I vote for Eau du Sud. It is the perfect example of good use of Verbena.
    - - - Updated - - -

I have Verlaine and love the verbena and linden...truly wonderful, natural and aromatic.

Both my wife and I adore the smell of linden - and verbena is a nicely-blended note.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    My favorite that is still being made is Vervain by Provence Santé. 100mls goes for $30, and this webiste often has sales when it's reduced to $24. They also carry the matching body products.

I notice Provence Santé also makes a men's cologne, Verlaine, which is verbena and linden. I love Provence Santé's Linden so I imagine Verlaine is also nice.

Fortunately this brand is inexpensive enough that a blind buy is not so terrible a risk.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Caswell-Massey had a great one that they stupidly discontinued.

Banned
    Blog Entries

git

Eau de Guerlain & Philtre d'Amour (if you can still find it) are personal favourites. The l'Occitanes are okay - I prefer the excellent Citrus Verbena shower gel to the EDT, though. Tried the Heeley several times but it doesn't quite click for me. It seems to be a difficult note to work with - shortlived like most citrus notes, and sadly overdone in household cleaners in some countries. The Guerlains are the only ones that lift if out of that association for me.

If we are detouring onto best Verbena bath products, La Compagnie de Provence Fresh Verbena is the best I have found.

A good choice might be YSL Pour Homme.

Thumbs up Re: Best Verbena

Annick Goutal's Eau du Sud
    Boucheron's Boucheron pour Homme
    Eau de Guerlain
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post

You captured my interest. Are these fragrances close to 100% essential oils-based?

It would be nice to find something in the style of Santa Novella colognes or Citrus Bigarrade or Bois de Cedrat, without the ridiculous markup.

Does Vervain seem to be a one-note thing, or a citrus combination?

Quote Originally Posted by Ciprian View Post
    A good choice might be YSL Pour Homme.
    The Verbena is in the background for me with this one, and in the La Collection reformulation it is gone entirely. When my "red top" bottle runs out, I'll replace it with one of the Eaux I mentioned earlier.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EndlesslySurprised View Post
    You captured my interest. Are these fragrances close to 100% essential oils-based?

It would be nice to find something in the style of Santa Novella colognes or Citrus Bigarrade or Bois de Cedrat, without the ridiculous markup.

Vervain is to me a soliflore lemon verbena, not a citrus, and not especially complex. It smells natural to me, but that doesn't mean it doesn't contain synthetic molecules also. I would not be able to tell what the per cent of naturals is from the smell, however.

- - - Updated - - -

We were out at a favorite shop in Madison today and I got a chance to try Provence Santé Verlaine!

This is the woman I originally bought my Vervain from, 5 or 6 years back, but she has converted her shop to mostly selling fine cheeses; her back room still has a few of the fragrances she used to carry at her previous location, and she is gradually selling them off and not replacing them. I ended up buying her bottle of Verlaine and the tester (discounted)-- I suppose I could have layered my Vervain and Linden for the same effect, but this was already combined in one very affordable bottle.

Verlaine is the soul of simplicity. It starts off with a fresh burst of lemony verbena and a subtle linden, and as it evolves, the verbena recedes and the linden becomes more prominent. Eventually all you have is linden. It's simple and understated and doesn't have anything particularly "masculine" to it other than the rectangular 50ml bottle-- anyone can wear this.

One thing, though: the verbena note does not hang around a long time in Verlaine. Half an hour and it's gone, leaving the linden.
    My bottle of Vervain (only verbena, no linden) is much longer-lasting than that-- hours-- but seeing I bought it years ago, I am wondering if the current formulation of Vervain is wimpier thanks to IFRA restricitons on verbena. They did not have a tester of Vervain so I don't know, but if I ever see a tester, I will update this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EndlesslySurprised View Post

I bought some Verlaine today (verbena plus linden).

EndlesslySurprised, if you are in the USA, message me with your name and address if you would like a small spray decant to test.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 30th March 2013 at 11:03 PM.