Code of Conduct

Default Based on my wardrobe, what should I try? Also, what in there could I layer?

The title says it all really.

I'm a relative newcomer here, I've always enjoyed fragrances but only in the last couple of years have I got into them a bit more and found myself with a slightly-larger-than-the-layman collection weighing down my shelves (a collection which nevertheless pales next to some of the wardrobes I've seen on here!).

My main question is, based on my list, and in particular the fragrances I rate most highly, which other names should I seek out without hesitation?

Looking at what's there it's clear that I'm well into my vetivers and gourmands, though not exclusively. It seems to me that sweet, spicy, leathery, earthy or woody fragrances suit me well, whereas very fresh or oceanic fragrances tend not to. Basically, mature and heavy sits well on my skin, while young and light doesn't. I do quite like strange or challenging frags as well, but don't own many.

Incidentally, I just blind-bought a small bottle of Bulgari Black online, I'm looking forward to that one!

My second question crops up because I'm interested in the idea of layering fragrances, but just don't know where to start or how it really works. Any tips? And are there any frags on my list that people think could really compliment one another?

Sorry if this is a bit of a me-me-me thread, I suppose I'm just looking for a bit of mentoring from some of the more established members here!

Default Re: Based on my wardrobe, what should I try? Also, what in there could I layer?

I don't layer frags, but I would recommend Encre Noire based on your vetiver collection.
    Last edited by sjg3839; 26th February 2013 at 02:40 AM.

Default Re: Based on my wardrobe, what should I try? Also, what in there could I layer?

So many things to try. Just off the top of my head, if you want to try some classics, you could do Knize Ten (reference masculine leather), Aromatics Elixir or Aramis 900 (they smell very close, for spices and resins), and Yatagan for woods. Or there's that other superclassic masculine, $$$ Guerlain Derby. You already have several vetivers, but in case you want to add, there's Encre Noire, as already suggested, or even better $$$ Chanel Sycomore, and for a fresh vetiver, $$$ Vetiver Extraordinaire.

I also don't recommend layering. If a frag is good, you're going to ruin it by adding another frag, no matter how good. If you want some variety throughout the day, you can always put a scented paper strip in your pocket, and take a sniff whenever fancy strikes.

cacio

Burberry London

Banned
    Blog Entries

I don't think any of your fragrances would layer well, based on abstractly thinking about it, but I could be wrong. I often am.

Here are my recommendations:

Yves Saint Laurent - L'Homme or La Nuit de L'Homme
    Creed - Millesime Imperial, Green Irish Tweed or Aventus
    Chanel - Platinum Egoiste, Egoiste or Bleu de Chanel

Tobacco Vanille and Spicebomb too.

Hednic's favorite: Burberry London

And lastly, a personal favorite, New Haarlem.

You should look at:

A leather
    An oriental
    Something earthy or patchouli based
    Something woodsy- maybe something dirtier than Tam Dao
    Something floral- Coromandel, Neroli Portofino

Nice suggestions so far, thank you!

For some reason Aventus and Green Irish Tweed don't really sit right on me, even though I adore them. The latter I've noticed on other people a few times around London, it's quite popular right now. It always smells great on them, but not so much on me. Something to do with my chemistry I guess.

Encre Noire and New Haarlem are interesting suggestions, and they're both high on my list already for future purchase. I would buy Encre Noire blind, but based on the cost I need to pop down to Harrods for a whiff of New Haarlem first. It sounds just my scene though.

Incidentally the reason I'd buy Encre Noir blind is because, as well as it getting great reviews, I can also get it at close to cost price (and it's not exactly that expensive to start with); brilliantly I just found out that someone I know is married to a girl who works for a niche fragrance boutique, and she could get me a staff discount on anything they sell. Music to my ears! They also have Creed, Annick Goutal, Miller Harris, and some obscure brands I've never even heard of. Oh yes...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by M. Le Pew View Post
    Nice suggestions so far, thank you!

For some reason Aventus and Green Irish Tweed don't really sit right on me, even though I adore them. The latter I've noticed on other people a few times around London, it's quite popular right now. It always smells great on them, but not so much on me. Something to do with my chemistry I guess.

Encre Noire and New Haarlem are interesting suggestions, and they're both high on my list already for future purchase. I would buy Encre Noire blind, but based on the cost I need to pop down to Harrods for a whiff of New Haarlem first. It sounds just my scene though.

Incidentally the reason I'd buy Encre Noir blind is because, as well as it getting great reviews, I can also get it at close to cost price (and it's not exactly that expensive to start with); brilliantly I just found out that someone I know is married to a girl who works for a niche fragrance boutique, and she could get me a staff discount on anything they sell. Music to my ears! They also have Creed, Annick Goutal, Miller Harris, and some obscure brands I've never even heard of. Oh yes...
    Lucky bugger!!!
    Hard work never killed anyone, but why risk it?

Quote Originally Posted by M. Le Pew View Post
    brilliantly I just found out that someone I know is married to a girl who works for a niche fragrance boutique, and she could get me a staff discount on anything they sell. Music to my ears! They also have Creed, Annick Goutal, Miller Harris, and some obscure brands I've never even heard of. Oh yes...
    So, be an human being, approach them with your interest and ask to spend time there, consider helping them doing warehouse stuff or something like that. And buy something after
    I would definitely do it myself.
    We want a 'Niche' forum.

Update: Encre Noir acquired. And at 40% off the retail price! Awesome.

This was a sound recommendation, as it has both the vetiver and the wood that I like so much. I like that it's not totally dominated by the vetiver though, in fact so far I feel like the wood is much more dominant.

Thanks for the advice!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I also happen to have bought Bvlgari Black since I made this post, for something from the leather family. Also splendid, but extremely divisive; some people adore it, some think it's repulsive. There were two girls near me on the bus the other day having a bit of a debate about the weird smell (I don't think they realised it was me!), which one of them thought was disgusting while the other couldn't get enough. Interesting stuff.

Tobacco Vanille is very unique and smells very high quality

Something that links in Breath of God. Vetiver and BNTBTBB
    Something entirely different. Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Layering, Molecule 01 and also take a look at Jo Malone's stuff. Easy to get samples if you wander in.

I recommend Givenchy Gentleman.