Code of Conduct

Default Not in Front of Other People: Spraying Perfumes is an Intimate Matter

I have never sprayed/applied a perfume in front of other people, except family and significant others. I think that it is a very intimate thing. I don't know exactly why, but I feel kind of exposed when I apply perfume. I think I wouldn't mind using deodorant at the gym in front of other guys, but I wouldn't spray a perfume in front of them.

Because of this shyness, so to speak, I avoid reapplying perfume during the day, at my job. Bringing a spare bottle every day (I change perfumes every day) is bothersome, and I would have to take the bottle to the bathroom in order to do it in private. I would rather spray more in the morning and don't reapply during the day.

Do you have the same issue about not spraying perfume in public? How do you feel about it?
    Last edited by DanielPlainview; 27th March 2013 at 11:11 PM.

Default Re: Not in Front of Other People: Spraying Perfumes is an Intimate Matter

Not at all, but if it's at work, it's usually done in the privacy of my own office where no one can enter without my permission.

Default Re: Not in Front of Other People: Spraying Perfumes is an Intimate Matter

I admit it looks a little weird. The thing is people notice even when they don't see you. Your "just sprayed" sillage can give you away just as much .

Guerlainista

Neither do I. I often spray in the public bathroom at an airport after getting off a long flight, or in my office at work. I don't hide in a stall or close the door, though.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Why don't you reapply somewhere private? Like in the boss' office.

for swap/sale:

I am a professor. My boss is the head of the department. His office is very far from mine, it makes no sense to go there just to spray a perfume. It would be crazy. I have my own office, which I share with another professor.

Basenotes Member

I really don't like getting perfume on my clothes.

So when I have to reapply, I have to take my shirt off.

So obviously, it has to be private.

Take a decant and spray it on in the restroom.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

I'm ok with applying perfume in public rest rooms or other "public-private" spaces (like your office where you can close the door), but really don't like seeing people spray out in the open.

I used to work with a woman who'd come into our huge open-plan office and spray herself heavily with one of a collection of fragrances she kept on her desk. It's not about the privacy or intimacy in that case - it's about the overpowering smell that descended upon everyone like a poison cloud.

In your setting, I would go it privately in the bathroom. It would be a little strange to do this in an academic, professional setting; just as strange as reapplying deodorant. Otherwise, I don't have a problem with it. I work in healthcare and can't douse in fumes due to patients but I still wear fragrance nonetheless lol.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    I am a professor. My boss is the head of the department. His office is very far from mine, it makes no sense to go there just to spray a perfume. It would be crazy. I have my own office, which I share with another professor.

the first part was serious, the second a joke.

spray anywhere empty of people

for swap/sale:

Somewhat similar case here. Working mainly from my home office, I can have all the privacy needed to apply fragrances, but if I ever need to apply a fragrance while away from home, I also prefer private spaces for doing so.

Apparently I'm the only person that apply frags at stores like sephora and such.. I don't care who sees me. But as someone said, it's kind of like putting on deoderant in public, who does that?

I've done it a few times after long flights and such in the airport, but otherwise I don't do it.
    Current Top 5:
    1. DHI
    2. Oud Wood
    3. Aventus
    4. By. Kilian A Taste of heaven
    5. Frederic Malle- Musc Ravageur

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur View Post
    Apparently I'm the only person that apply frags at stores like sephora and such.. I don't care who sees me.
    Testing is fine. Using the testers as your personal fragrance wardrobe is tacky. Just my opinion.

I'm a nurse, and there is an issue with tons of smells around patients. I wear it lightly and something close to the skin around them. If I walk into a bathroom and smell the sillage of someone else, I immediately wonder what they were "covering up"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    Testing is fine. Using the testers as your personal fragrance wardrobe is tacky. Just my opinion.
    There is a fine line between going into a store with the intent of spraying something for your own use, and spraying 3 spritzes on to test longevity/projection/sillage...

I've applied perfumes in shops, spritzing in full view of the watching public.

Also spritzed on trains, perhaps other places as well, I would have to dig deeper.

I agree -- it's somehow vulgar to spray in front of others -- even your partner. This may be a warped point of view of course.

It's a toilette activity, like brushing your teeth, applying makeup or trimming your nails. It's natural to want to do it in privacy.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I test freely at counters but otherwise apply in private/ in my car-- but I have no problem with immediate family seeing me apply perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Take a decant and spray it on in the restroom.
    This is my protocol. Best way and also convenient not carrying a full bottle with you as you make your way to the restroom.
    Current obsession...Invasion Barbare

In a work situation, you don't want it to be noticeable - because people will mistake your wish to get a little lift for vanity. You'd need to find a private spot, where the just sprayed fumes can dissipate.

Socially I don't mind who sees me spraying among friends and family as long as I don't hit them with friendly fire - and vice versa. Life is to be shared. There are far more serious things to keep private.

Among my cherished memories of my childhood is of watching my mother getting herself ready to go to a party - how after the carefully chosen clothes, jewellery and subtle make-up, she'd apply her perfume last and rise from her dressing table stool with the confidence of a queen. (BTW my mother was not by nature a confident person.)

Wow....after basketball game and sweating, me and a friend have to go straight away to dinner apparently, just change clothes and spray some Allure Homme Sport...hell even do it on the court ghetto style, gotta do what you gotta do. Spray in front of others, give your bottle to others to spray on themselves, etc. I don't get the op at all.

Same for work, have never had a problem. Same for when guests over about to head out for a night out and spray in front of them and boogie.

I'd be wary about applying in front of people too. I'd recommend picking up a cheap pocket-sized travel atomizer or two and decanting your favourite scents.

Spraying in a toilet cubicle might not be such a bad idea - it would have the added effect of masking any unwanted odours after a bowel movement as well!
    Smelling good on a budget!

This is going to sound weird, but I love watching my wife spray perfume--not because it's anything sexual mind you--but because she does it in such an effusive way, with total abandonment. She's French, and she just goes "all out" so we're talking 12 sprays on clothes and skin in rapid succession--she's done in under 5 seconds--and she's good to go. It cracks me up, because I think if I actually did anything like that with my perfumes (I proceed much more ploddingly and carefully), I would instantly choke out everyone around me, but somehow she manages to pull it off. It is truly a sight to behold!

What is true and interesting to think about is how you show your personality in something as simple as how you spray perfume.

It does seem weird to apply in front of other people.
    if its the regular to the chest and neck, i would still consider it in front of someone.
    but when i go all strategic and ninja and apply on the back of my neck, my back, inside elbows, i would not even think of doing in front of someone.

My current practice is to spray and wait for it to dry a bit before getting dressed, so no, I tend not to spray in public. Despite this, some of the scent does invariably rub off on my clothes, so I keep getting wafts of it even when it's gone from my skin.

I'm not in the habit of reapplying during the day. I've tried carrying around small atomizers for that purpose but ended up using them so rarely that I've given up. I'd have to go somewhere private to spray, which is more often than not the restroom, and I don't care to have the opening whiff of my perfume mingle with whatever that foul frag is covering up in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post

I used to work with a woman who'd come into our huge open-plan office and spray herself heavily with one of a collection of fragrances she kept on her desk.
    Inappropriate and odd. I'm surprised that management allowed it to continue. I'm also surprised that her collection wasn't relocated.

Basenotes Institution

I always reapply my fragrance, in the middle of the day, in the bathroom. No big deal.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac