Code of Conduct

Default Less people wearing fragrances these days?

I don't know if it is because the crowd I hang with these days are older than the crowd I used to hang with but when I was in middle school and high school I always used to smell people walking by me. College I didn't smell it as much but it was still there.

These days I rarely smell someone with cologne or perfume on. I would say maybe a couple times per year at most.

Is it because people don't wear cologne/perfume as much these days?

Is it because fragrances these days are not like the "powerhouses" of the past?

Is the crowd that I am around just more mature and they don't drench themselves for fear of being "that cologne guy"?

Maybe a bit of all these?

Default Re: Less people wearing fragrances these days?

It might be who you hang out with. Most of my friends wear fragrances, they're usually just lighter on the trigger. I always seem to notice women wearing what seems to be a half-bottle of perfume, for better or for worse. Seems like it went from "that cologne guy" to "that cologne chick." I was a parking garage the other day and could literally smell this woman when she got out of her car, which was about 40 feet away...

Basenotes Plus

I would say very few of my fellow MALE employees of either sexual preference wear fragrance or seem to be the least bit interested in it. Occassionally a really young guy you'll find wearing something everyday. Even more surprising to me, though a few of the women wear fragrance, they too don't show a lot of interest in it. And a lot of the women I know from talking to them don't use any fragrance ever. They just rely on scented soap or cream to smell good. People will take a sniff of the stuff I bring in to smell and offer comments but fragrance wearing is definitely not much of a concern for most of my fellow employees. It's a very small sample size and not science but it does surprise me a little because the stores are so full of perfume. Someone's buying it but nobody I know.

Maybe a lot of folks don't have the disposable income to invest in fragrances these days.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by pharmgator01 View Post
    Maybe a lot of folks don't have the disposable income to invest in fragrances these days.
    That may certainly be part of it. People definitely don't spend money on things they don't like or don't feel are necessary for them. When I even bring up the subject of fragrance at work I hear a lot of people say, "I don't like perfume." As simple as that. Because I am a Basenoter I sometimes think my concept of the overall popularity of fragrance is more than a little skewed.

All relative. It just depends on which social circles you interact with IMO.

Hednic stole my phrase!

Its the social circle.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Junkie

I work on a campus of 5 buildings in which approx 2500 people work. Of course I can't say with any certainty how many wear a fragrance, but with confidence I will state that very few do. I won't dare to guess at a percentage, but feel good saying its very low. Of the scents I do notice, I feel 80% of them come from women. Just what I've noticed.

I am in college and during the day, I definitely smell a lot more girls wearing perfume than guys. And in my peer circle the girls that wear it are wearing like Victoria secret or Abercrombie Fitch...

Very few in my social circle (mostly blokes) do.

Obviously the gf does, I've got two or three mates that do, and I'm getting two more into wearing them (one wears Zino and Pen's English Fern, the other won't go any more daring than CK Encounter).

My boss wears Paco Rabanne PH, which is very cool.

It's not really part of the Aussie culture to wear fragrance, at least not for a lot of blokes.
    I'd be genuinely interested to see the sales percentages of male vs female revenue as they vary from country to country.

Quote Originally Posted by pharmgator01 View Post
    agree.

Basenotes Member

I go to university and I haven't noticed anyone wearing perfume...

except for the friend that got me into this..

and the time I passed by Tim Hortons, not sure whether that was just the coffee and hot chocolate or someone was wearing A*Men.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by SevenDays View Post

and the time I passed by Tim Hortons, not sure whether that was just the coffee and hot chocolate or someone was wearing A*Men.
    That's good. I like that.

Indeed, like correctly pointed out above, depending on the context, the social environment.

I am back in school and have made a very conscious note of the fact that I am not smelling much in the way of fragrances being worn by the younger crowd. At least not to class.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

It also may be the projection. In the 80's, perfumes were really loud along with clothing and the hair and the shoulder pads.

BUT when I'm hosting any group meetings, (we eventually get to the subject of perfume when I am around). I'm always amazed how many just don't wear any at all and never have. Or the ones that do, have only one scent and have worn it forever because they were given it. These are ladies in their 50's, 60's and 70's++. I've been asked to do talks on fragrance locally a few times and the fascination is definitely there alongside the sheer naive ignorance.

It's not the perfume that is niche, it is the awareness of it that is.

Money.

Every woman I know just about from coworkers, aunts, female friends, mother, sisters etc.. wear perfume. But outside of my dad, I don't know a single guy that wears cologne on a daily basis.
    Current Top 5:
    1. DHI
    2. Oud Wood
    3. Aventus
    4. By. Kilian A Taste of heaven
    5. Frederic Malle- Musc Ravageur

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I also have observed that most of my male colleagues do not wear fragrances. Women tend to wear them more. I do agree that back in the day you would be able to smell a fragrance whenever a person walked by.

I don't think there is any way one could make a case for less perfume being worn nowadays. Perfume is 'overground' now and most guys have a bottle of something or other. And perfume sales are 10x bigger than they were a couple of decades ago.

Perhaps depends on the location. Plenty of people wear perfume here.

Actually, people over wear them around here