Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Bond No.9 divorced from Andy Warhol?

So I stopped by my local Nordsroms today for something completely unrelated, and chatted up with my go-to fragrance guy working there. I have not seen this mentioned in the news (or perhaps I missed it?) but it appears Bond No.9 is no longer licensed to use any "Andy Warhol" items, in name or otherwise. Effectively all Andy Warhol fragrances are either discontinued or renamed. Silver Factory, for example, is now Silver Bond, and has a plain all-silver bottle. Others are already off the shelves altogether.

When did this all happen? Personally no big loss from my point of view, I never got sucked into the Bond No.9 hype machine and I still think much like Creed their fragrances are way overhyped and overpriced for what they really are, but just curious about this "divorce" from Andy Warhol as I have not seen anything mentioned anywhere. Last I recall, about a month or so ago, that same Nordstroms had Silver Factory and a bunch of other Warhol branded bottles, so it sounds like a pretty recent breakup...?

Default Re: Bond No.9 divorced from Andy Warhol?

Happened a few months back. I believe the Warhol family wanted to part ways, for what reason I'm not too sure. Laurice Rahmé was accused of being racist and sued by a few former employees, I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

The Warhol estate can be a real pain in the ass to work with (I know this from a non-perfume related angle) and licensing images from them can be a nightmare. I was told by a couple of SA's that's really what's at the root of the problem, but who knows? And FWIW, I'm with you on the Bond/Creed comparison.

Incidentally, aside from Silver Factory, the discontinued "Andy" was the only other one I really liked from them.

Their licence agreement ended with the Andy Warhol that's all

I guess Bond is trying to sell off the last remnants of the fragrance: http://www.bondno9.com/shop/eau-de-p...l-by-bond-no-9

I thought the Andy fragrance was decent but not FBW.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    I never got sucked into the Bond No.9 hype machine and I still think their fragrances are way over-hyped and overpriced for what they really are
    Same here.

I second that, the vast majority of their fragrances are over rated, painfully synthetic and not a fan of the tacky bottles. I own New York Oud, which is a great fragrance, but that is the only Bond I would probably ever own.

"No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Neither of those links mention anything about Andy Warhol, and both articles were written in Jan 2008 (long before Bond and Warhol parted ways). So what are you getting at?

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Their licence agreement ended with the Andy Warhol that's all
    Yea. No big mystery.

- - - Updated - - -

Not that, or that.

I never really understood the link with him. I mean he could hardly endorse the products. Maybe Bond think they are 'innovative'?

I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I thought the Andy fragrance was decent but not FBW.

I buy something for the fragrance. I don't care who they use to try to sell it - alive or dead. Didn't understand the connection between the 2 in the first place. Don't care that they are now parting ways. Shorter fragrance names is the only real impact of the split IMO.

Maybe they could go for Lichtenstein next.

I don't think I could ever admit to wearing a Bond No.9 fragrance (Creed either, for that matter). I'd rather say I was wearing Joop Homme and that's saying something!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I never really understood the link with him. I mean he could hardly endorse the products. Maybe Bond think they are 'innovative'?
    I think the idea was that Bond has hitched its star to a New York identity, and Andy Warhol is intertwined with New York culture. Nothing more than that.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver