Code of Conduct

Default 2013 Amoauge Opus VII (7) due in April.

Not sure if the word is out yet, but here you go :
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: 2013 Amoauge Opus VII (7) due in April.

I could not find any information on this. Do you have a product description? I've haven't tested any of the Library line yet but might try VI soon.

Wasn't aware -- will be testing though, thanks

I will visit the flaship store and check if they are expecting it.

Will give this one a try when I see it as I do with all in their line.

Ive read the notes, somewhere. REALLY looking forward to this one.

OH MAN!!! I've been waiting for this...I LOVE Opus VI. Nothing in the "news" section of their website.

That's weird...

I'm only saying that as I already know what it smells like and black isn't a colour I would associate Opus VII with.

Btw, here is a review of Opus VII. Personally, I completely disagree with the description, unless I've been led down the garden path. Iris has already been covered in Opus V, so I don't know what they're going on about:

http://thealembicatedgenie.com/2013/...hyst-and-onyx/
    Last edited by Trebor; 30th March 2013 at 06:50 PM.

So can we at least confirm that these are the official notes? from http://perfumeposse.com/2013/04/02/amouage-opus-vii/=

Opus VII – Green, Woody, Leather

Top: Galbanum, Pink Pepper, Cardamom, Nutmeg, Fenugreek

Heart: Agarwood Smoke, Patchouli, Ambrox, Leather, Ambergris

Base: Costus Root, Muscone, Sandalwood, Olibanum, Cypriol
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicolδi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man

Hm, although currently a bit over-used I like those notes. Depending on how they are balanced I imagine this could be something slicker then the typical Amouage bombast. Good thing they didn't reuse the amber base.

It's a weird list of notes. Not what I'd expect to see from the perfumers involved - Morillas & Negrin.

Anyone else smell this yet? Trebor - I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I have no idea what to expect with this one.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I think this is going to be very woody and very masculine, despite the waxing over Iris. the most masculine of any Opus to date. Perhaps like Xerjoff's Fiero with aspects of Epic man and Memoir man, and the unsweet elements of Interlude man and Beloved man. i think this Amouage will get back on their track of serious, dark and earthy and smokey, away from where i liked it going with Interlude man.

natural orris and iris aren't particularly femme, and when paired with smoke and fenugreek, i think this one will be mega earthy, with the nuance of dried leaves, and dried leaves burning on moist earth.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 12th April 2013 at 11:53 PM.

Smelled it yesterday.

First thing I said was it smells like French Lover a bit. That's a good thing. This was briefly from a blotter.

Need to test it further....

for swap/sale:

I will test it tomorrow

Who carries this ?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Nersh View Post
    Who carries this ?
    Not available in the US until sometime in May.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Smelled it yesterday.

First thing I said was it smells like French Lover a bit. That's a good thing. This was briefly from a blotter.

Need to test it further....
    Now that's intriguing! I think I'm blind buying this one if it smells like French Lover.

Hrmm disappointing, can't say I think too highly of this assortment of notes and the comparison to french lover whilst speaking highly of it, does nothing for this sounding like anything new or exciting.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Please tell me it's not as thin, synthetic, and generally one dimensional as French Lover?!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I just bought Opus VII today.

I agree with hedonist in that it smells a bit like French Lover in the opening. Both share a bitter-green blast of galbanum backed by spices. French Lover stays greener longer and the spices are more subtle. Opus VII is more overtly spicy and comes across as fuller and funkier. But it seems to me that the overall concept is similar, at least initially.

I also agree with Trebor in not understanding how someone could get iris out of Opus VII.

More later as things develop.

Who carries this ?
    min ny has it right now.

http://minnewyork.com/perfumery/oman...ollection.html

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Unfortunately, they do not. They are selling on pre-order and will not have until end of May.

Wow! Pre-ordering Amouage. That's a hefty blind buy and it takes more guts (not to mention more disposable income) than I have! I sure do look forward to smelling this one though.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Basenotes Member davidmichael42's Avatar

min new york has it $325 a bottle $5.00 sample

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by davidmichael42 View Post
    min new york has it $325 a bottle $5.00 sample
    Umm, please see my post above. They do not have it. It is not in-stock and will not be in-stock until the end of May. Right now, it is pre-order only.

If it was available, I would have it listed as a split.

This information is from Alejandro @ Min.

It just became available a few days ago in the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia, where I bought mine. Got it at Paris Gallery for the equivalent of $270. It will probably take a few weeks or months to get distributed around the world.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    It just became available a few days ago in the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia, where I bought mine. Got it at Paris Gallery for the equivalent of $270. It will probably take a few weeks or months to get distributed around the world.
    Look how long it took for Beloved Man in the US. It is finally available at Bergdorf-Goodman, which has the US exclusive for it.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I just bought Opus VII today.

I agree with hedonist in that it smells a bit like French Lover in the opening. Both share a bitter-green blast of galbanum backed by spices. French Lover stays greener longer and the spices are more subtle. Opus VII is more overtly spicy and comes across as fuller and funkier. But it seems to me that the overall concept is similar, at least initially.

I also agree with Trebor in not understanding how someone could get iris out of Opus VII.

More later as things develop.

Thank you Noggs. I was getting scared when I first read that it was similar to French Lover. I sure hope there is more to it.

- - - Updated - - -

And whats with the price tag being 325 and not 425 ?

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Look how long it took for Beloved Man in the US. It is finally available at Bergdorf-Goodman, which has the US exclusive for it.
    It's still not available here!

- - - Updated - - -

And whats with the price tag being 325 and not 425 ?
    This is the usual price for the Opus volumes. The Beloved pair were higher for some reason. I'm happy to see that they haven't raised prices (yet) for the Opus series.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Noggs. I was getting scared when I first read that it was similar to French Lover. I sure hope there is more to it.
    I can still detect both on my arms this morning. The base of French Lover maintains a slightly sharp greenness to the very end. The base of Opus VII is a tiny bit sweeter, woody and leathery and slightly animalic due to the costus and residual spices.

French Lover is lean and intellectual while Opus VII is more expansive and seductive. Both drydowns seem rather close to the skin. I'd prefer more projection at this stage, but this behavior is typical of most drydowns. And it has been about 12 hours since I sprayed them. Some probably rubbed off on my sheets and pillow overnight, so I don't want to draw too many conclusions until I give Opus VII a full wearing, which I'll do today.

Thanks for the info Noggs.

Some have mentioned a similarity to Opus VI. Are you getting that at all?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Some have mentioned a similarity to Opus VI. Are you getting that at all?
    Sort of. Not so much in the actual notes but in overall feel. Both are relatively dry and somewhat austere (for Amouage). But there's a kind of "background" acccord in both that seems similar. Opus VII seems like it contains elements from Opus VI, Opus IV, Interlude Man, and Memoir Man. It definitely reminds me of other Amouage fragrances.

I'd like to mention two things briefly, which struck me during my testing last night. The Amouage literature describes this scent as "green, woody, and leathery". Yes to all that, but the aspect of it that strikes me the most is the spices. The spices dominate for much of the duration of the wearing, at least on my skin. I suppose that could be expected given the note list, but I had expected something less spice heavy, and perhaps leaning more towards the green and leathery. There are enough spice notes that it recalls Interlude and also more recent mainstream mens' frags. Spices seem to be a popular trend right now. But honestly, some of what I am labeling spices may be the frankincense.

The other thing that I thought of is that in a way, this is an updating of a traditional masculine fragrance, let's say from the '80s. A fair number of notes listed, bitter greens and spices in the opening leading to a complex, woody base. But almost all older mens's fragrances have included a lot of floral notes in the middle, which are lacking in Opus VII. It's all spices, ambery kind of notes, incense, woods, and base notes. Not making any judgments yet, just making an observation.

The strongest phases of Opus VII are the opening and middle. The drydown is quieter and so far I think it is the best phase. I think all the Opus frags are more complex than they first seem, and Opus VII is going to take more time to figure out.
    Last edited by noggs; 19th April 2013 at 09:48 AM.

Opens with very little galbanum. A food amount of pepper and a lot of nutmeg and fenugreek.

If you know fenugreek then you're aware that it's not an easy odor to utilize. luckily the nutmeg and what appears to smell be ambroxan mask it nicely. Interesting venture with the fenugreek.

Very happy to see a perfume house distinguish between oud oil and oud wood when fumigated.
    Clearly they read my posts explaining online that Leather Oud and Oud Ispahan are based around oud wood not oud oil.

It's generally a darker intense perfume. Very aromatic and spicy but freshened with the cypriol and pink pepper. These two notes give it that alleviating effect.

The patchouli, ambergris and muscone at no point dominate.

Sorta kinda similar to French Lover but much more involving and complex.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Member

Amouage Creative Director Christopher Chong says: "I have always been fascinated by the struggle of the critical nature of mankind with the long winding journey which leads to the domination of the mind in the pursuit and interpretation of knowledge. No matter how tumultuous, once knowledge is obtained, we submit ourselves to a powerful sensation of liberation and euphoria."

He explains that this act is seen in its fullest splendour of the Galbanum and warm woods set against the violent reincarnation of the resin notes.

Would like to have an Arabian perfume and perhaps something from Amouage actually. The ingredient fenugreek doesn't scare me much as i don't really mind it in various cuisine like dhal or other dishes but not sure what is like in perfume form..

I've worn this three times since my last post, but have been so busy. I'll try to update my thoughts when I have more time.

Anyone with more descriptions or comparisons for this one ? Cant seem to pull up much info on it. I had a brief sniff last week but i was testing many others so i didnt get a good idea of what its about. I got that vegetal opening and yes, fuller than French Lover, but a tad more dense with a much darker green feel. After that I kind of lost track, and thought it started to head in an earthy direction ? Correct me if I am wrong. Also, I dont believe that the leather was a predominant note.

I don't get French Lover from Opus VII at all. It's more like a quieter, smoother and less aggressive version of Andy Tauer's Carillon Pour Un Ange (but with some cumin thrown into the mix).