Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: 2013 Amoauge Opus VII (7) due in April.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Some have mentioned a similarity to Opus VI. Are you getting that at all?
    Sort of. Not so much in the actual notes but in overall feel. Both are relatively dry and somewhat austere (for Amouage). But there's a kind of "background" acccord in both that seems similar. Opus VII seems like it contains elements from Opus VI, Opus IV, Interlude Man, and Memoir Man. It definitely reminds me of other Amouage fragrances.

I'd like to mention two things briefly, which struck me during my testing last night. The Amouage literature describes this scent as "green, woody, and leathery". Yes to all that, but the aspect of it that strikes me the most is the spices. The spices dominate for much of the duration of the wearing, at least on my skin. I suppose that could be expected given the note list, but I had expected something less spice heavy, and perhaps leaning more towards the green and leathery. There are enough spice notes that it recalls Interlude and also more recent mainstream mens' frags. Spices seem to be a popular trend right now. But honestly, some of what I am labeling spices may be the frankincense.

The other thing that I thought of is that in a way, this is an updating of a traditional masculine fragrance, let's say from the '80s. A fair number of notes listed, bitter greens and spices in the opening leading to a complex, woody base. But almost all older mens's fragrances have included a lot of floral notes in the middle, which are lacking in Opus VII. It's all spices, ambery kind of notes, incense, woods, and base notes. Not making any judgments yet, just making an observation.

The strongest phases of Opus VII are the opening and middle. The drydown is quieter and so far I think it is the best phase. I think all the Opus frags are more complex than they first seem, and Opus VII is going to take more time to figure out.
    Last edited by noggs; 19th April 2013 at 08:48 AM.

Opens with very little galbanum. A food amount of pepper and a lot of nutmeg and fenugreek.

If you know fenugreek then you're aware that it's not an easy odor to utilize. luckily the nutmeg and what appears to smell be ambroxan mask it nicely. Interesting venture with the fenugreek.

Very happy to see a perfume house distinguish between oud oil and oud wood when fumigated.
    Clearly they read my posts explaining online that Leather Oud and Oud Ispahan are based around oud wood not oud oil.

It's generally a darker intense perfume. Very aromatic and spicy but freshened with the cypriol and pink pepper. These two notes give it that alleviating effect.

The patchouli, ambergris and muscone at no point dominate.

Sorta kinda similar to French Lover but much more involving and complex.
    for swap/sale:

Basenotes Member

Amouage Creative Director Christopher Chong says: "I have always been fascinated by the struggle of the critical nature of mankind with the long winding journey which leads to the domination of the mind in the pursuit and interpretation of knowledge. No matter how tumultuous, once knowledge is obtained, we submit ourselves to a powerful sensation of liberation and euphoria."

He explains that this act is seen in its fullest splendour of the Galbanum and warm woods set against the violent reincarnation of the resin notes.

Would like to have an Arabian perfume and perhaps something from Amouage actually. The ingredient fenugreek doesn't scare me much as i don't really mind it in various cuisine like dhal or other dishes but not sure what is like in perfume form..

I've worn this three times since my last post, but have been so busy. I'll try to update my thoughts when I have more time.

Anyone with more descriptions or comparisons for this one ? Cant seem to pull up much info on it. I had a brief sniff last week but i was testing many others so i didnt get a good idea of what its about. I got that vegetal opening and yes, fuller than French Lover, but a tad more dense with a much darker green feel. After that I kind of lost track, and thought it started to head in an earthy direction ? Correct me if I am wrong. Also, I dont believe that the leather was a predominant note.

I don't get French Lover from Opus VII at all. It's more like a quieter, smoother and less aggressive version of Andy Tauer's Carillon Pour Un Ange (but with some cumin thrown into the mix).