Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default Rume by Slumberhouse

No thread JUST on Rume by Slumberhouse, so I thought I'd start one.

Wow, this stuff is just as thick, heady and chock-full-of-complexity as Sova, Vikt and the others.

I know it's not a listed note, but does anyone else smell a lot of honey in the top notes? I love it, because it's a very natural honey note, nothing urinous or synthetic about it. In addition the woods / leaves / sweet syrups all combine to create this wonderful gourmand/spice combo that does not smell like a flavor/food but rather an atmosphere of these collective senses.

One tiny spray from my decant (just on my wrist) is explosively strong. I cannot imagine using up a whole bottle.

This is discontinued, correct?
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Rume by Slumberhouse

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    No thread JUST on Rume by Slumberhouse, so I thought I'd start one.

Wow, this stuff is just as thick, heady and chock-full-of-complexity as Sova, Vikt and the others.

I know it's not a listed note, but does anyone else smell a lot of honey in the top notes? I love it, because it's a very natural honey note, nothing urinous or synthetic about it. In addition the woods / leaves / sweet syrups all combine to create this wonderful gourmand/spice combo that does not smell like a flavor/food but rather an atmosphere of these collective senses.

One tiny spray from my decant (just on my wrist) is explosively strong. I cannot imagine using up a whole bottle.

This is discontinued, correct?
    Yes, it's discontinued, but the last time I checked, Parfum1 still had it.

Basenotes Plus

Yes, Parfum1 still shows as available.

I only have a sample and ik extremely dislike it. IMO it's not a fragrance but an inbalanced strange smell. And yes one can smell honey in the opening.

It smells like German honey gingerbread to me, those little hard ones. I like those extremely, but have to admit they're better in the mouth than on the arm. I don't dislike Rume, but it feels like it needs a little something more. Not quite complete in its current state, I'd call it.

Mikeperez23, I respect your nose a great deal and I just wish Rume unfolded on my skin exactly as you describe it... but no, the notes somehow come together to form an uncannily realistic Christmas fruitcake with cola on the side. That, as well as the fact that Rume is as thick and heady as you say, is why it's probably the one Slumberhouse I don't feel entirely comfortable wearing, if only because I like smelling gourmands, not smelling of them.

Yes, it is discontinued. I have to say my sample is probably all I'll ever need. I'm keeping it though - I've been going back to it from time to time to see if my opinion has changed, and intend to keep doing so until there is no more left.
    Currently wearing: Askew by Humiecki & Graef

I bought samples of all the Slumberhouse frags awhile back, I dislike Rume...there was something fermented or rotten behind the spices. One of those frags that has that "one note" that kills it for you.
    And yes- the thing about all the Slumberhouse frags is they are so concentrated, a decant is probably all you would need.

Rume is my favorite fragrance from Slumberhouse and it is indeed discontinued. Although, Josh did tell me that he may run limited releases like Ore...or he may not. I ended up snatching his last bottle that was a super high concentration. So now, I'm left with two bottles. I think I'll probably sell my lower concentration original as two would last me 5 lifetimes. It's interesting to me that there seems to be a general distaste for Rume. I find it warm, extremely spicy and dangerously potent. It is one of my overall favorites, period. I absolutely love how the bay leaves play with the dank spice. I will note that I must be in the very very small minority on my love for this stuff as my girlfriend hates it.

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    I only have a sample and ik extremely dislike it. IMO it's not a fragrance but an unbalanced strange smell.
    Agree. The sample I tried of this which a friend gave me was unpleasant.

I've said it before in another thread, I believe - Rume is Michael Kors for Men cranked up to eleven.

Thick, chewy morsels of dried fruit absolutely drowning in booze. It definitely has the fruitcake thing going for it in a big way.
    Only the harsh opening, and the fact that I don't think it's very versatile kept me from buying it.
    I've got two sample atomisers of it and honestly, I like it more and more each time I wear it.
    This is (was) a real sleeper for Slumberhouse - it's really grown on me.

I have two bottles of Rume. One was a sample from Josh that came in a 5 ml bottle about a year or so ago. When I daub a little from that bottle I get a wonderful honey top note that is blissfully natural - it keeps me sniffing my wrist and makes me kind of crazy.

The newer and larger bottle of Rume is one of Josh's etched bottles and it smells similarly, but not as fully honeyed. I wonder if this fragrance requires 'aging' in order for all the components to mesh - as is the case with other Slumberhouse fragrances, like the pre-extrait, Sova.

Regardless, Rume is an all time favorite - I too love the spiciness and bay leaves, the Dr. Pepper/cola, and honey - it's an emotional pick-me-up. I bought Rume for the honey AND the spiciness and am happy to have it in my wardrobe.
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

Basenotes Institution

Thanks everyone for the comments. I never quite made the Michael Kors for Men connection that you mentioned timdoeswell or the cola/Dr. Pepper references a few of you did - but now they make total sense.

I always think that scents that have strong myrrh notes remind me of soda - specifically root beer. Like Goutal's Myrrhe Ardente and the Lutens one...La Myrrhe which has a fizzy/aldehyde note along with the myrrh.

What I like about Rume is that the myrrh and the bay and the rum notes smell very natural. They don't smell scratchy or hissy like the Kors does. I speak about the monstrous longevity but it is a hushed cocoon sort of longevity - a little bubble of scent. I'm not trailing the scent of Rume when I wear it. It's going along with me like the scent of hair pomade or the smell of a pipe that I smoked stuck to my blazer. That sort of tenacity. I love that.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Perfectly stated Mike. The tenacity of Rume is the kind that stays close in a [i]warm blanket[i] kind of way...like when you're under the sheets and you have that body radiation that's staying so very close to you. Rume isn't the kind of powerful fragrance that's going to be smelled by someone 10 feet away at any point prior to application.

It's going along with me like the scent of hair pomade or the smell of a pipe that I smoked stuck to my blazer. That sort of tenacity. I love that.

Dependent

I wear it as drunken fruitcake, and enjoy it as such. Nothing rotten about it.

Basenotes Institution

I love the smell (taste) of fruitcake so perhaps I'm biased.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I was close to buying this when I first smelled it. But, fall was ending and I see this as autumn in a bottle. I have a sample and I enjoy it, but like most slumberhouse stuff, I wear it mostly for myself and on the weekends. I'll expand further when I am not trying to type this on my phone.

Inspired by this thread, I tried it again today, and much to my surprise, I really like it a lot more now. The spice is much more intense than it was, a real hit of clove and bay on a honey base. I wonder if it was shaken up when I first tried it, or as Fhaoilgeal says, it needed to age and settle a bit.

I've actually never smelled, nor tried fruitcake. I don't really get too much fruit in Rume, possibly a hint of dried apricot. Luckily I get a sweet resin with a ton of spice. It definitely evolves very slowly over hours, much like Sova.

I love the smell (taste) of fruitcake so perhaps I'm biased.

I found this one to be unpleasant and difficult for me to wear.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I've actually never smelled, nor tried fruitcake. I don't really get too much fruit in Rume, possibly a hint of dried apricot. Luckily I get a sweet resin with a ton of spice. It definitely evolves very slowly over hours, much like Sova.
    Fruitcake does not taste very fruity. It's very sweet and very spicy, with all of these moist/soft/mushy fruits all mashed together with nuts and molasses, etc. So when you eat it you get the combination of stewed fruits, nuts and syrups all at the same time in your mouth, which is very much like Slumberhouse scents feel when you smell them.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Interesting, this Christmas I'll have to give it a sniff. I haven't heard many good things about the taste, I guess it depends on the quality, naturally.

When I was a child my local Hallmark store during Christmas used to place a spicy holiday potpourri in the store. Rume, instantly brings me back to those childhood moments in visiting the store with my Mom.

Fruitcake does not taste very fruity. It's very sweet and very spicy, with all of these moist/soft/mushy fruits all mashed together with nuts and molasses, etc. So when you eat it you get the combination of stewed fruits, nuts and syrups all at the same time in your mouth, which is very much like Slumberhouse scents feel when you smell them.

Giving Rume a wear today. For a lack of better words, it's just different than anything else out there. This stuff is incredibly potent, rich, bittersweet, warm and very spicy. I have noticed that the fragrance does smell a bit different in variable climates. Today, Rume smells like a muddled bittersweet drink of bitter fruits and spices that one might find in Northern Africa or the Middle East, served in an older, stale wooden mug. I can see why this is not appealing to some, however, to my nose it's a magnificent wonder. I can't get over how incredibly thought evoking this scent is.

Basenotes Institution

I can't imagine wearing this in the wet, humid climate that we're experiencing here in Miami today.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Perfect in Chicago for a good wearing of Rume. 45 degrees, dry, and tons of sun. I can't imagine wearing Rume in Miami many times of the year. Perhaps on a cooler night, which might be quite rare. When I was in Miami for the bowl game in January the night temperature was a beautiful 72. Although I do wear heavy scents in the summer at times, I think this one might be a bit cloying in the humid Miami temperatures.

Side note: Sounds weird...but this fragrance takes on a whole new life when the temperatures reach 0-30 degrees Fahrenheit. It smells much like potpourri. It could totally be in my head but I only notice this when the weather is quite cold.

I can't imagine wearing this in the wet, humid climate that we're experiencing here in Miami today.

Perfect in Chicago for a good wearing of Rume. 45 degrees, dry, and tons of sun. I can't imagine wearing Rume in Miami many times of the year. Perhaps on a cooler night, which might be quite rare. When I was in Miami for the bowl game in January the night temperature was a beautiful 72. Although I do wear heavy scents in the summer at times, I think this one might be a bit cloying in the humid Miami temperatures.

Side note: Sounds weird...but this fragrance takes on a whole new life when the temperatures reach 0-30 degrees Fahrenheit. It smells much like potpourri. It could totally be in my head but I only notice this when the weather is quite cold.
    I totally agree that in the cold, this turns into potpourri and in the warmer temperatures it turns into cola. Weird. It's definitely an interesting one, but my 50 ml will last me a lifetime.

Tony, do you find it unwearable when it takes on potpourri? I find it enjoyable. What I like most about it is the fact that every time I wear Rume, the fragrance takes a different life. It's a real shapeshifter, in a good way, and I enjoy that quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I totally agree that in the cold, this turns into potpourri and in the warmer temperatures it turns into cola. Weird. It's definitely an interesting one, but my 50 ml will last me a lifetime.

Tony, do you find it unwearable when it takes on potpourri? I find it enjoyable. What I like most about it is the fact that every time I wear Rume, the fragrance takes a different life. It's a real shapeshifter, in a good way, and I enjoy that quality.
    I wouldn't say I ever find it unwearable; it's just that at certain times the sweetness of it gets to me a bit and at other times, I feel like I literally smell like a bowl of potpourri and a store here called Garden Ridge.

Two thumbs up!!!

To me Rume is like a kitchen preparation with fruit cake, bay cloves and some more spices, honey, all this brought to a mix with coca Cola or root beer and once reduced, add some spiced liquor to bring fire on to the mix...

Very strange indeed, as the spiciness makes this less of a gourmand frag...

But growing up in India with its wonderful array of spices, I just love Rume...
    Currently wearing: L'Humaniste by Frapin

It's my favorite in the line as stated before It's really too bad that the fragrance has been discontinued by Josh. I found it to be the most unique in the line and one that didn't use clove "the signature way" that it's used in others in the line. I'm glad I have two bottles of the stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Two thumbs up!!!

To me Rume is like a kitchen preparation with fruit cake, bay cloves and some more spices, honey, all this brought to a mix with coca Cola or root beer and once reduced, add some spiced liquor to bring fire on to the mix...

Very strange indeed, as the spiciness makes this less of a gourmand frag...

But growing up in India with its wonderful array of spices, I just love Rume...

I applied it today at 1315, its 2215, and I just got a compliment on it. For this to get to the dry down phase takes about 3-4 hrs, higher than any parfum I own, and its just so good. Wafts of this keep coming from time to time.
    Currently wearing: L'Humaniste by Frapin