Code of Conduct

Default Hi everyone--sort-of newbie looking for an accessible (non-niche please!) rosy men's cologne!

Hi everyone. I've been on the look out for a nice manly but not "stanky manly" rose for men. No niche or ladies fragrances--I have a small collection of fragrances, about 35, but I have a monstrously huge collection of samples that includes 120 niches and 90 ladies perfumes. I don't mind niche or feminine perfumes, but they're just NOT me, I don't wear them very well. I have Burberry Brit, but its a little "too" mainstream... LOL and NOT rosy enough!

Zino I have already, both vintage and reformulated, but I have to be in a special kind of mood wear it.

I've had my eye on a big 200ml splash of Acteur Azzaro for a while now, but what I am getting myself into with it?

I would like something musky, not overly sweet, with a good rose note that doesn't TOTALLY reek of the 70s or 80s (I admire and appreciate this era in fragrance, but my father, with whom I live, regularly ODs on the era's powerhouses!)

I've seen it written and heard it said many a time that Acteur is a nice not overly or overtly sweet musky, leathery rose, but are there any comparisons I can go by?

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Hi everyone--sort-of newbie looking for an accessible (non-niche please!) rosy men's cologne!

You say no niche...but there's a very nice fragrance by Le Labo called Rose 31 which is a very very nice scent for someone seeking rose. There's Guerlain Rose Nacree du Desert, but again. I'm not sure what you're considering niche here.

Default Re: Hi everyone--sort-of newbie looking for an accessible (non-niche please!) rosy men's cologne!

Aramis 900 has rose, is musky and masculine. It is from the 70s 80s era, though it doesn't really reek of the era, so to speak.

Other than that, it's a tough one, because current masculine mainstream goes for sweets or woods, and abhors florals for men (witness the lack of success for things like Insense). Plenty of examples in niche or in scents marketed to women (such as Gres Cabaret, a solid woody rose).

I have not smelled Acteur, so I cannot help here.

cacio

Overcome By Fumes

Acteur is quite nice and the rose is well blended.

Go for Acteur. I can't compare it to anything as its pretty unique, but its a nice masculine rose. You should be able to pick up a bottle for around $30.

Another for Acteur

I'm surprised Ungaro III isn't mentioned by now..
    On Sillage:

If someone can smell me at more than an arm's length away, I'm probably wearing too much of whatever I applied; if she can distinctly make out the top notes, then perhaps I left the house a bit too soon..

On icebreaker:

I tend to compliment people on their frags to make short talks rather than anything more meaningful.

¿Si o No?

Ungaro III

Quote Originally Posted by KJS88 View Post
    I would like something musky, not overly sweet, with a good rose note that doesn't TOTALLY reek of the 70s or 80s
    I know you said no niche, but Dior's Ambre Nuit is a peppery spicy rose (and more rose than amber to me).

And Egoiste is a woody rose.

Déclaration d'un soir
    aBr
    thefraglife.blogspot.com

Another for Acteur. It's an excellent masculine rose for a good price.

Cartier Declaration d'Un Soir

Hrmmm thanks gents. I rummaged around for my decant of the Aramis 900; remembered why I didn't obtain a bigger decant or buy a bottle: mum's everyday cool weather perfume is Aromatics Elixir, and A900 is very much like a sparer, thinner, slightly I dunno... "acidic" version of it to me. I love 'mum smell', but not on me.

Ungaro III and Acteur on order; regarding the latter, I've read that the older, ambery-yellow coloured version is better, so opted for that. Just as well, I could only find that version in 3.4 and 6.8 oz sizes of EdT splash, and I prefer a nice big splash if I can get it. $38 AUD shipped. Ungaro III given to me by a fellow non-Basesnotes affiliated enthusiast this afternoon. Will give it a run when my Summer flu clears up!

Thanks again gents!

Beware of Ungaro III. I read all those wonderful reviews here at BN and bought a bottle, but I was extremely disappointed. I think Ungaro III is a mediocre perfume.

Additional votes especially for Ungaro III and Acteur

Daniel I'm with you on Ungaro III, tried it this morning since my cold clearer up. Acteur wins.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I would recommend Acteur.
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Quote Originally Posted by AirBureau View Post
    Déclaration d'un soir
    This! Smooth en classy.

Wow as of now I am blown away by Acteur. Its kinda hard to describe; the rose is very well blended into the mix... I can't decide whether to call it a fresh rose, an oily rose, or an impressionist rose rendition. Stemmy or woody? On-the-bush or on the verge of wilting... A bit of everything to me. Its beautiful. There's muskiness, mossiness, amberiness, woodiness, leatheriness. But it doesn't actually smell very old fashioned or even a product of the 80s. I don't really get a huge Azzaro fougere impression as I've seen it written, but it is there. Only it doesn't scream 80s or hyper-masculine. Yet, I cannot see a woman wearing this.

Very unusual but in a wearable way. I've got a 100ml splash bottle. dabbed a bit on the back of my hands and on my wrists from the bottle, made a cup of tea, now settling down on the patio in the afternoon sun having a cigarette, sipping my tea, and smelling this beautiful but strange men's perfume. Wonderful stuff.

surrati black oudh cheapest my strongest and longest lasting fragrance you will get for under £10 6ml should last you a long time

Sound Scents

Aramis JHL (preferably in vintage form) is my recommendation. I own vintage Acteur, but I confess it did not impress me much.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Cartier Declaration d'Un Soir
    Gres Cabaret EDP ( Women's scent, but wearable for a guy IMO)
    Krizia Moods Uomo ( opening and mid notes have rose)
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !