Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance for Prom

Hey guys, so I recently posted a thread asking you guys for suggestions on what samples a beginner should try. Now I am looking for a fragrance for Prom as it is coming up soon. I am torn between wearing something classier as it is a formal event, and something sexy date. For a sexier scent I had something like D&G The One in mind, but I wasn’t sure if that would even last all of the way through Prom. For a classier scent I was thinking about maybe Dior Homme. I’m totally open to buying a new scent for Prom because my collection is not amazing by any means, but I figured I’d get a head start this year. What are your opinions?

I referenced this this thread on what to wear for Prom that was already on Basenotes, but there were so many frags being thrown around, and not many people even agreed with each other that I wasn’t sure what to think as a beginner. Many of the other threads on Basenotes were not as useful or did not have that many suggestions.

Also, I just found out fairly soon I am going to be driving through Tacoma, WA, which is why I was already thinking about a fragrance for Prom. There is a Sephora’s in the Tacoma Mall, which I have never been too, but I was wondering about olfactory fatigue. If I were to sample probably between 20-30 (from the list I already asked about, and some testing for this) fragrances at Sephora’s depending on what they had in stock, how many fragrances can the average person test before they start to suffer from olfactory fatigue usually? Also, how would I recognize this happening to me, is it just you can’t smell a fragrance that is you sprayed on a tester card? If this happened and I went to get food or something in another part of the mall could I come back and sample more or would that be all I could do for the day?

I referenced this thread for olfactory fatigue, and it made it sound like I should just go walk around for 15 minutes and I would be fine to test again. Is this true?

Thanks in advance!!

Default Re: Fragrance for Prom

Tell me about your date for the prom. How is she/he like? Do you know what kind of perfumes she/he likes?

I don't know a lot about olfactory fatigue, but I can tell you about my nose. My nose would never be able to test 20 fragrances at once in a certain period, let's say 4 hours. I would guess 10 fragrances is all it could do. It is a weak nose.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, Ive just read that proms happen only at the end of the year. Youre a troll.

I'm not really sure what kind of perfumes she is into. I know that they smell good, but I have no idea what they are haha sorry. And yeah that's why I said I'm getting a head start on it, it's in early May for us which is only a little over a month and a half so nope not trolling .

Dior Homme would be fine.

OK, sorry for the wrong accusation. You are young, so a heavy classic would attract too much attention and not be appropriate for the event, even if it is formal wear. Dior Homme is totally appropriate like Hednic said. It is very soft and tender. I have it.

I would go for class, it's a formal event. Ideally, it would be nice to know what she likes, every woman is different. Dior Homme seems a great idea, it's pretty safe, hard to think one may completely dislike it. Bulgari Black would be another interesting one; it's very elegant and plush, but at the same time has a fun rubber note; so it would be a touch more avant-garde. Some crowd pleasers are Le Male (which is a touch sweet) and Terre d'Hermes (more citrusy); the latter seems to be the most popular perfume for young Europeans.

As for fatigue, realistically, after 4 or 5 you cannot smell much. I think 15 minutes of fresh air usually clear up the nose. One thing you could do is to spray on the provided paperstrips (write the name on pencil, otherwise you forget. And use a pencil or it will smudge). Then walk around the mall and smell from time to time. Paper is not a perfect way to test, but at least you could get an idea of what you like. When you have isolated the one or two you like, go back and spray on skin, to see how it develops there.

cacio

It seems you guys are in consensus that Dior Homme is a good choice so I will be sure test that out when I'm at Sephora. Thanks cacio for the info on olfactory fatigue as well, I will spray them and walk around the mall for a while smelling every once in a while then. Also thanks for the great tip about the pencil. I thought I had good foresight because I was going to bring a pen, but I didn't think about the smudgy mess it would make on the tester strip!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Dior Homme is nice. Maybe Gucci Pour Homme II as well.

To be honest, the prom is likely to be so full of different scents and virtually every girl will have applied some fragrance or other by the bucketload, that I'd focus on looking great and being clean, washed and groomed properly and taking care over what you're wearing and how you're wearing it.

If you find a scent that you want to use and it makes you feel good then that's great, but I wouldn't feel obliged at all.

Yes, Medusa is right. You should cut your hair on the previous day, use a nice wax to give definition and separation, shave and use an aftershave to close the pores, be very clean and look smart.

Dior Homme is a great choice for any formal event. I wore it last summer when I was in a wedding and it worked great.

Another you may consider is:

La Nuit de L'Homme

When ol factory fatigue sets in you will know. Also 20 fragrances in one sample session may induce a headache so be cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Dior Homme is nice. Maybe Gucci Pour Homme II as well.
    It's already on my list to try, from what I have heard it is great!

Quote Originally Posted by frostyicy View Post
    Dior Homme is a great choice for any formal event. I wore it last summer when I was in a wedding and it worked great.

Another you may consider is:

La Nuit de L'Homme

When ol factory fatigue sets in you will know. Also 20 fragrances in one sample session may induce a headache so be cautious.
    I already have La Nuit in my collection. If I had to pick from my collection for prom that would definitely be what I would choose, but I don’t feel like it is a great fit for prom. I think I’d rather try to find something else for prom.

I am going to try to go a second time on my way back through Tacoma so it won’t be 20 all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by StateChamps2012 View Post
    I was thinking about maybe Dior Homme.
    The best choice! If you want more strength you could go with DHI, less strength DHS (2012). All 3 are great fragrances.

Overcome By Fumes

The Sephora at the Tacoma Mall has a decent selection, but it might be worthwhile to check out the Nordstroms there too, also a good selection. My favorite store for fragrances there is the Parfumerie which has an offbeat selection but some really nice fragrances that you don't smell every day.

Give these a try: Yves Saint Laurent L'homme, Hugo Boss Bottled, Chanel Platinum Egoiste and Mont Blanc Legend. They're all pretty safe and won't break your bank account.

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    The Sephora at the Tacoma Mall has a decent selection, but it might be worthwhile to check out the Nordstroms there too, also a good selection. My favorite store for fragrances there is the Parfumerie which has an offbeat selection but some really nice fragrances that you don't smell every day.
    Awesome! I will definitely stop by all 3 while I am there, especially Parfumerie, the description of that one makes it sound like they have a pretty good fragrance selection. Thanks for the tip!

Banned
    Blog Entries

dunhill desire or even allure homme

My money would be on chanel platinum or bleu de chanel. Very versatile and easy in the nose.

- - - Updated - - -

And chanel platinum would be a perfect dress up scent for any Time of the year

Dior homme is a great choice, perfect for a classy event that isn't a screamer and oozes class.

For my prom I'll be wearing Dior Ambre Nuit.

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post
    Just got back from my trip to Tacoma, and it was really fun going to the mall and testing out a bunch of different fragrances. I stopped by Sephoras and got a few samples, but I was in a rush the first time I went so after that was all I had time for. But a couple of days later I was able to get back to the mall and got a few more samples from sephoras and nordstroms. Actually I purchased L'Homme and seriously considered Prada Luna Rossa (but decided against it until I checked out parfumerie) cause I liked them so much.

Then I was excited to go to Parfumerie and check out their selection which I hoped was going to be good. I walked in, and the first thing that caught my eye was a gift set of LIDG. I inquired about it, but the guy working there was extremely rude. I don't know if it is cause he didn't think a high school aged person would have money to actually spend on fragrances or what, but I didn't care. It was inexcusable and I was not going to spend my money in a place that was rude to its customers. So instead I went back and picked up the Luna Rossa . As for prom, from the samples I got my favorites have been Chanel PE, Dior Homme, Bvlgari Black, and Bleu de Chanel. As for Prom I think it will be between Bvlgari Black an Dior Homme, but IMO all are full bottle worthy.

Thanks for the great suggestions guys!!

I find DHI sweet and the iris note is not for everyone. You might be more safe with Chanel bleu for versatility or La Nuit de L'Homme. Both are surely at sephora.