Code of Conduct

Default Pet Peeve of Reviews

Ok, for all you newbies out there, listen up. I have a pet peeve...a large one. We welcome your reviews of fragrances, we even understand that you are new, and maybe can't break down all the notes you smell.. That is OK. Just try to describe why you like or dislike a frag. in the review. I am sick of reading reviews like this: "It was awful" "It was the most foul scrubber I ever smelled" "It stank" OR even reviews like this: "It was the most wonderful thing I ever smelled" "It is heaven" TRY to describe what you are smelling. Why did it "stink" Compare it to something, anything... I found a funny but descriptive review several months ago that said TdH smelled like "a hot beachball with chemicals spilled on it." That is great! at least the reviewer was trying to describe what they were not liking...You may not know each note, but you can use words like sour/sweet/ or whatever object it reminds you of... Scrolling through 25 reviews that never mention what the fragrance reminds them of, gets annoying.
    Last edited by Danielstripedtiger; 29th March 2013 at 11:32 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pet Peeve of Reviews

My biggest pet peeve of reviewers is when the reviewer just regurgitates the communities opinion of the fragrance rather than their own.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    My biggest pet peeve of reviewers is when the reviewer just regurgitates the communities opinion of the fragrance rather than their own.
    Yea, but some newbies don't know how to put what the think into words, so as long as they are not just "jumping on the bandwagon" I'm ok with that. Sometimes (especially with Creeds) people just want to fit it with a review, but I still get peeved wading through 25 "it sucks" to find one who says why it "sucks".

Quote Originally Posted by Danielstripedtiger View Post
    Ok, for all you newbies out there, listen up.
    Spoken as a true veteran of 4 days on the site!

I personally like the ones where the person says "I've always hated rose, so this rose fragrance gets a thumbs down." Well thanks for sharing.

Basenotes Plus

My personal pet peeve is when a person writes a review saying "this fragrance is way too feminine" to a fragrance marked as feminine! I don't mind men reviewing female fragrances and vice versa but don't use a gender excuse to review a fragrance if it's clearly marketed for women. This doesn't apply to unisex fragrances though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dailey View Post
    This!
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Danielstripedtiger View Post
    Ok, for all you newbies out there, listen up. I have a pet peeve...a large one. We welcome your reviews of fragrances, we even understand that you are new, and maybe can't break down all the notes you smell.. That is OK. Just try to describe why you like or dislike a frag. in the review. I am sick of reading reviews like this: "It was awful" "It was the most foul scrubber I ever smelled" "It stank" OR even reviews like this: "It was the most wonderful thing I ever smelled" "It is heaven" TRY to describe what you are smelling. Why did it "stink" Compare it to something, anything... I found a funny but descriptive review several months ago that said TdH smelled like "a hot beachball with chemicals spilled on it." That is great! at least the reviewer was trying to describe what they were not liking...You may not know each note, but you can use words like sour/sweet/ or whatever object it reminds you of... Scrolling through 25 reviews that never mention what the fragrance reminds them of, gets annoying.
    This thread "stinks". By the way, I find the word "newbie" to be rather offensive and unwelcoming. But thanks for sharing!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

There are already so many people who feel inhibited about writing reviews that I am grateful for people who actually do write one, and am loathe to give members more reasons to feel like their reviews aren't "good enough".

Even the very subjective ones communicate something useful. It's the sum total of impressions that influences me, so please keep the reviews coming!

hahahahahaha

I will make a note of this as I just joined. Ordered some stuff from beautyencounter and lily direct.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    There are already so many people who feel inhibited about writing reviews that I am grateful for people who actually do write one, and am loathe to give members more reasons to feel like their reviews aren't "good enough".

Even the very subjective ones communicate something useful. It's the sum total of impressions that influences me, so please keep the reviews coming!
    Thank you for these sound words of reason.

Yes....this all the way.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Vetiver Geranium, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...Ess-de-Cerruti

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Vetiver Geranium, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

CologneFan85

What I hate is ppl like you complaining about reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by CologneFan85 View Post
    What I hate is ppl like you complaining about reviews.
    Not that I necessarily agree with the OP or its tone, but is there really a difference between OP hating on certain types of opinions expressed in reviews and us hating on OP for expressing a certain type of opinion in a thread?

I'd like to think we can accept a range of opinions in threads as well, but I really appreciate the reasoned and reasonable opinions of people like 30 Roses who make it a discussion rather than an attack on the OP.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one scratching my head.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeymonz123 View Post
    I will make a note of this as I just joined. Ordered some stuff from beautyencounter and lily direct.
    Welcome mikey!

Wow, thanks for all the constructive criticisms.
    I didn't mean any harshness on reviewers except to say "This foul mess is garbage" isn't constructive or enlightening as a review. Please tell us why..."I don't like it, something in the sweetness? doesn't last? These are fine negative or neutral reviews. "This frag sucks monkey balls" isn't helpful.
    Last edited by Danielstripedtiger; 30th March 2013 at 09:37 AM.

I'm actually quite "spooked" about writing reviews. I've done maybe three. And I've had the pleasure of sampling some spectacularly good and bad fragrance but haven't written a thing about them.

I do agree that saying "this sucks" and the like is of no real help. However, at least its out there, unlike mine which I usually keep to myself.

Cheers Rex
    Re: Avatar-So are they whats known as subwoofers?

Basenotes Plus

This thread is the foulest scrubber I've ever smelled.

Quote Originally Posted by trex57 View Post
    I'm actually quite "spooked" about writing reviews. I've done maybe three. And I've had the pleasure of sampling some spectacularly good and bad fragrance but haven't written a thing about them.

I do agree that saying "this sucks" and the like is of no real help. However, at least its out there, unlike mine which I usually keep to myself.

Cheers Rex
    Rex, Give it a try! There is no "right or wrong" reviews...Mine are not 'expert' at all. They just try to convey to people how the frag. struck me. I stick by my belief that to say "it sucks monkey balls" conveys nothing. This is a very subjective hobby. You won't find a single frag. that everyone loves or hates. I respect people not liking my favorites, But imagine if someone at your work came up to you out of the blue and said "you suck" and walked away. Wouldn't you want to know why?

As long as it doesn't start with:

Upon application, one is treated to a....

I'll accept anything except that.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post

LOL point taken..."Upon application, I was enraptured to the seventh heaven as the Royal Pineapple glorified the cherubs of heaven...."

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

His reviews did follow a pattern, but they were well thought out and interesting, and some have posted that they miss them.

Edit: If he is reading this, I would like to wish him a Happy Easter and that I hope all is well with him.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 31st March 2013 at 04:07 AM.

CologneFan85

I'm being sarcastic, all reviews are just fine.

What I hate the most is when I make a decision based on one or more basenoters, who prove themselves to have no nose. Their noses are not capable of analyzing a fragrance properly.

If all reviewers were powerful like Scentemental, I would be able to blind-buy my entire collection.

His reviews did follow a pattern, but they were well thought out and interesting, and some have posted that they miss them.
    Good for you and them but they were superficial and more tabloid than journal.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    What I hate the most is when I make a decision based on one or more basenoters, who prove themselves to have no nose. Their noses are not capable of analyzing a fragrance properly.

If all reviewers were powerful like Scentemental, I would be able to blind-buy my entire collection.
    If I bought all my records based on what critics say, I'd have a spotty (at best) music collection.

I didn't realise that anyone might blind buy on someone else's review.
    Surely the point of having as many reviews as possible available is to gather a broad picture of a scent?
    Sometimes, one may have similar tastes to one person and radically different to another.
    But I'm no 'nose', just a long time hobbyist.

Keep the reviews coming, agreed.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Basenotes Plus

Agree word for word. My own nose will ultimately make any decision but I still always appreciate a broad cross section of opinions beforehand. Respect and thanks to those who make the effort.

Also agree

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Agree word for word. My own nose will ultimately make any decision but I still always appreciate a broad cross section of opinions beforehand. Respect and thanks to those who make the effort.

Also agree
    l also agree on both counts!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    I didn't realise that anyone might blind buy on someone else's review.
    Surely the point of having as many reviews as possible available is to gather a broad picture of a scent?
    Sometimes, one may have similar tastes to one person and radically different to another.
    But I'm no 'nose', just a long time hobbyist.
    I've definitely blind-bought on the basis of single reviews! But this is after reading for a while and finding that there are posters out there (and some here) who seem to have similar tastes to mine. It's not just about the quality of the review (and I do think we kid ourselves if we pretend that any review is a good review; there's a lot of bad perfume writing out there), but also the particular likes and dislikes of the writer. With some experience, a blind buy is slightly less risky.

People are free to review fragrances any which way they like. And so they should be. You don't have to take notice.

Edit: If he is reading this, I would like to wish him a Happy Easter and that I hope all is well with him.

It'd be creepy as hell if he were stalking us. Suits him .

for swap/sale:

@Kagey - good point.