Code of Conduct

Default Experts...citrus/aquatic difference??? Examples of best in both groups

Hi guys can someone out there distinguish the difference, as until recently I thought these fragrance groups were one and the same ie Issey

Examples of your personal best in both categories would be great!

btw i am quite new to the fragrance game

Default Re: Experts...citrus/aquatic difference??? Examples of best in both groups

You are right that the two notes are often combined because both are thought to be fresh. But to people hypersensitive to marine notes like me, they are quite different.

Marine usually refers to molecules like calone, which to most (?) people smell like a sea breeze from the ocean, but to people like me smell like decaying shellfish. Calone is variously described as fresh, slightly salty, melony or cucumber like. Citrus notes tend to be fleeting, so they are gone in no time, while marine ones are very persistent. So if a frag has both notes, typically what you smell for most of the time are the marine ones. For instance, Light blue for men is predominantly marine; the flanker Light blue Stromboli has a pleasant citrus-lemony top, but within 5 minutes it's back to the marine powerhouse.

Citruses without marine include things like Eau Sauvage, the Hermes Oranges Vertes, and the Acqua di Parma colonias. I cannot suggest a marine, since I don't like them. Probably one of the strongest I've smelled is the niche Tirrenico by I profumi del Forte.

cacio

Default Re: Experts...citrus/aquatic difference??? Examples of best in both groups

Thanks cacio

Anyone else to help distinguish this?

It's nothing complicated. Citrus means citrus, from the fruit, so lemon orange mandarin grapefruit etc and a few obscure things like kumquat. At least one of these is usually present in classic "cologne" style scents.
    Aquatics are often as Cacio stated based around "marine" notes, ie, salty, but now that I think of it, many are not "marine" in formulation so I am not quite sure how to describe the notes in that case, although many do still have that "melony" feel, like Cool water for instance.
    Someone else had better explain this. Maybe it's a bit more complicated than I thought :-)

One smells Citrus, Citrus Fruits (Lemon, Lime, Orange, Mandarin,Grapefruit, Bergamot, Cedrat) plus a few herbal notes (plus Petitgrain, Lemongrass and Litsea Cubeba); the other sells watery and marine like the seaside (using Calone, Floralozone, Melonal, Helional, Dihydro Myrcenol, Algue Absolute etc.).

Citrus to me me represent citrus notes and aquatic to me represents marine notes.

Banned

The Best citrus to me is Mito by veroprofumo, its all natural

I'll be different. Like the others citrus means like citrus fruits - Eau Sauvage, Eau De Rochas Homme, D&G Masculine, YSL Pour Homme and streching it, Azzaro Chrome. Then there are woody citrus scents which tend to last longer, like Cerrutti 1881, Versace Green Jeans, Tonino Lamborghini PH etc.

But unlike the others, aquatics are watery - like Aqua Di Gio, Halston Unbound, Paris Hilton Just Me, Jill Sander Pure man, Bvlgari Aqua.

Then there are scents like L'Eau par Kenzo, which smell sort of watery and citrus to me.

Marine scents are marine/oceanic - like Givenchy Insense Ultra Marine, Baldessarini Del Mar, Creed Erolfa, Bvlgari Aqua Marine, Nautilus Aqua, Nautica Voyage, Nautica Classic (and a lot of other Nautica's), Rectoverso Man:Blue Atoll. Kenzo Homme smells marine to me because it smells like nice seaweed.

Many people here don't seem to differentiate between what I call aquatic and marine, though to me they're different like apples and oranges.

And to confuse matters there are lots of scents with prominent marine notes which one wouldn't outright call marine scents, like Dali's Laguna, Michael Jordon Cologne, Calvin Klien's Escape.
    Regards,
    Renato

Best examples are Eau Sauvage for citrus and Bulgari Aqua for Aquatic. Sample these and you will get the picture easily. What is confusing you is the citrus note in Aquatics, so just train your nose to filter that note

It's true, often aquatic scents may have a citrus note and citrus may smell, in turn, more or less aquatic.

For me, an example for a citrus scent with no aquatic notes is YSL pour Homme, while an aquatic scent with little or no citrus (at least to my nose) that comes to my mind almost immediately is Periplo by L'Erbolario.

Thanks for the feedback guys, all advice is appreciated