Code of Conduct

Default Patou Pour Homme EDT V After Shave................is it even a contest worth considering?

Hi fellow Basenoters I have been a member for a few years and usually just love to read the various discussions you provide here in the Forum, but I think this this thread is worth revisiting, so here goes.

I have always been a believer that PPH EDT is the best fragrance in my collection and to quote the often used cliché, it is without a doubt my Holy Grail scent. I stumbled upon it about 10 years ago when I was buying mainly designer scents [my pre niche era] and bought the 60ml EDT for about $120.I never realised what I was buying at the time, I just knew it was the right fragrance for me so I consider myself very lucky to have acquired it.

I decided recently that having used about a quarter of the EDT was enough and not being able to afford another EDT, it was time to buy the AS to see if that would give me a ''Patou hit'' without breaking the bank, so I bought a 90ml bottle.

As to the comparison of the two scents, I can advise the AS is not as rich or complex, does not project as well, is obviously weaker in strength being an AS, and requires multiple sprays to achieve the desired result on my skin. However I will also say it is still very classy indeed, is a similar scent to the EDT despite suggestions I have previously read to the contrary, best of all it is selling for about 75% less than the EDT.

In fact I liked the AS so much I bought another 90ml bottle in original packaging which may never be used but I consider the Patou AS a great buy. To those of you looking for PPH but can't afford the EDT, the AS is a real option at a more affordable price in my opinion. What do others think?

Default Re: Patou Pour Homme EDT V After Shave................is it even a contest worth considering?

I don't know the particular scent I'm afraid but I assume it is much like most aftershaves versions of quality scents, which is, as you say shorter lived with a lower percentage of "the good stuff" to alcohol.
    I would generally take the edt version given the choice but I can see how it has been a great buy for you at the price.
    You can try spraying less of the edt and giving yourself a good dose of AS to make your edt bottle last much longer and you should also get more of a "symphony" of notes (albeit for less time).
    There are even certain scents that I think are "better balanced " in the aftershave versions, (Cerruti 1881 springs to mind). Also some vintage AS is quite strong enough not to need to bother with EDT version. I have Givenchy Gentleman vintage which is wonderful, bought for about £5, for example which to me is way better than the current EDT.

Default Re: Patou Pour Homme EDT V After Shave................is it even a contest worth considering?

Sounds good to me!

I'm surprised the AS is readily available - I'd grab it if I saw it. I found some vintage Derby AS and it's also excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Sounds good to me!

I'm surprised the AS is readily available - I'd grab it if I saw it. I found some vintage Derby AS and it's also excellent.

I often search " used aftershave" on ebay. You can find some discontinued classics for peanuts that don't turn up in "perfume" or "edt" searches

If you don't have or can't get the EDT, then for some, the After Shave works fine. Personally don't like after shaves and lucky I still have a full bottle of the EDT.

I tried both and can assure PpH AS is REALLY good.
    A step behind the EDT, but far ahead many other fragrances.