Code of Conduct

Default Help for those 'addicted' to buying...

Hi, I have been collecting frags as an obsession/hobby for about a year now. I can tell that I am on BN far more than I should be...I get angry at the silly posts (I'm not putting anyone down), and I think I am in too deep.
    What I have done since autumn is I won't buy until I decanted out and sold the original price. Let's say I want a bottle of Creed MI...I buy it, and have bags of empty plastic atomizers. I sell on EBAY and decant 2/3/5/10mls into the atomizers, put them together with others, and sell them. I won't buy anything else til I "break even" on the bottle. If I sell 50mls out of a 100ml bottle and get my original investment back, I am happy. This has slowed me down tremendously. When I saw that I spent $4000 this year, I started this. Since October, I have reduced how much I have spent this year from $4000 to $400!! I sold decants, FBs of things I didn't really wear anymore, and samples I had stashed. Now I need to work on limiting the amount of time I am on BN...This won't be as hard as I think...the quality of posts has deteriorated in the past year, and I get so sick of the "what should I wear to my grandmother's funeral?" posts, that I just need to ignore most posts.

Default Re: Help for those 'addicted' to buying...

Sounds like a classic case to me

Daniel - how innovative of you! I can easily fall into the same trap, I have to experience panic episodes (bank account suddenly in the red) to keep me in line. Fortunately it only happened once in the past few years. But when I smell a fragrance I want, something comes over me and like an obsession, I have to have it. It takes tremendous restraint, and reasoning (why must I have it? I mean, I live in a part of the country where people don't seem to care much about fragrance or their appearance, for that matter!), but you've come up with a clever remedy for getting back some or perhaps more than you've spent (eventually), and getting some for yourself too. Congratulate yourself!

Yes, congratulations to both of you

Quote Originally Posted by Danielstripedtiger View Post
    Hi, I have been collecting frags as an obsession/hobby for about a year now. I can tell that I am on BN far more than I should be...I get angry at the silly posts (I'm not putting anyone down), and I think I am in too deep.
    What I have done since autumn is I won't buy until I decanted out and sold the original price. Let's say I want a bottle of Creed MI...I buy it, and have bags of empty plastic atomizers. I sell on EBAY and decant 2/3/5/10mls into the atomizers, put them together with others, and sell them. I won't buy anything else til I "break even" on the bottle. If I sell 50mls out of a 100ml bottle and get my original investment back, I am happy. This has slowed me down tremendously. When I saw that I spent $4000 this year, I started this. Since October, I have reduced how much I have spent this year from $4000 to $400!! I sold decants, FBs of things I didn't really wear anymore, and samples I had stashed. Now I need to work on limiting the amount of time I am on BN...This won't be as hard as I think...the quality of posts has deteriorated in the past year, and I get so sick of the "what should I wear to my grandmother's funeral?" posts, that I just need to ignore most posts.
    Looks like you have a viable plan. Good luck with that.