Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Question Have you ever disliked a fragrance and then realised it's the one you're already wearing?

Yesterday I went to the Bowie retrospective at the V&A (verdict: great if you're a diehard fan, but otherwise disjointed and over-crowded, with a disorientating compulsory audio guide) and midway through the exhibition I was overwhelmed by a wave of patchouli, the kind you'd normally find for sale in minuscule bottles on the counter at a headshop, probably with 'karma' somewhere in the branding . Initially, I thought I'd bumped into a Bowie roadie, reliving their glory days from the Diamond Dogs tour, but on the third successive wave I realised it was ... me. I was wearing Encre Noir, which has now gone into semi retirement until I feel like reliving my teenage goth moment again.

Has anything similar ever happened to you?
    Possibly tone deaf..

Default Re: Have you ever disliked a fragrance and then realised it's the one you're already wearing?

Quite the opposite happened to me many times . Someone was smelling so nice and I was just trying to find out who and what is he wearing . Turned out it was me.
    Some scents change a lot in time or are multi-faceted . I'm always discovering something new about these kind of scents and I love it.

Default Re: Have you ever disliked a fragrance and then realised it's the one you're already wearing?

Has never happened to me.

Not so far, when I usually get to own or to purchase a scent, I realized long ago before owning/purchasing it that I not only like a not, but that it's also quite improbable, if not even impossible to also dislike it in future.

Never happened to me.

Never has happened to me yet.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post

Has anything similar ever happened to you?
    I don't think this kind of experience is all that unusual, at least for me. Sometimes it takes a bit of wearing of a fragrance and catching whiffs of it here and there when I least expect it before I come to the conclusion that I really do not like it after all.

Once. To my utter disappointment. It was Cuir Beluga. I was catching big whiffs of musc, the kind I really don't like (think Louve by Lutens). I understood later why. I dabbed it in minute amounts (kind of a foghorn this one) instead of spraying. Lesson learned. 1 big spray under the clothes.
    aBr
    thefraglife.blogspot.com

Dependent

Yes, but only frags I'm testing. I always do at least one full wearing before buying a bottle and know what to expect. The reverse (liking something before I realize it's me) happens more often thank goodness.

Not sure I've ever tried a fragrance that morphs that dramatically from first spray to eventual drydown. There have been a couple whose combination of linearity and longevity made them turn subjectively sour to me, like 'god DAMN when is this thing going to fade already' (I'm looking at you CdG Kyoto), but I just can't honestly put myself in the position where I could ever pick up something nasty from the environment and not immediately realize it's me.

Were there a lot of fragrances in the environment? Were you liking or disliking the concert? Fairly certain there are some outside factors at play here.

Basenotes Institution

Yes, it happened to me once. I smelled Roadster by Cartier on a friend and it sort of turned my stomach. It ruined the fragrance for me - now I don't enjoy it at all.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I had that happen recently with Byblos, a scent I wore quite happily many years ago. Perhaps the genie left my bottle (admittedly, the citrus was far less prominent than previously) or my tastes have changed. Regardless, I could hardly wait to wash it off.

By the way, I'd love to hear more about the Bowie retrospective. As you can guess by my user name, I'm a bit partial.

Hasn't happened to me but thats not my concern right now.

Patchouli in Encre Noir.

for swap/sale:

No, that never happened to me but I had a similar experience all the way around. I was spending the whole day with a coworker and thought she smelled gorgeous. I asked her what she was wearing and she said she was unscented...It was actually me, smelling gorgeous.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Member

Hedonist, you're right - patchouli isn't a note as far as I know, EN is just a dry vetiver - maybe I was channeling Bowie too much - that's why I've just dyed my hair ginger and bought a lurex bodysuit ..

Perhaps your concern is justified!
    Possibly tone deaf..