Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance similar to M7 by YSL

Hello,

Can anyone give any me some suggestions on fragrances, which are similar to M7? I love the masculinity and mystery it gave. The new re-formulation is ok, but not up to par as the original.

Thank you.

Default Re: Fragrance similar to M7 by YSL

Hard to say, but perhaps Fahrenheit Absolute or Tom Ford Oud Wood. I personally lean towards the Dior.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Fahrenheit Absolute... but it's more boring.

Fahrenheit Absolute is an OK substitute.

Nothing. Fahrenheit Absolute is much more common and wearable.
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Truth is, M7 is much more an amber than it is an oud fragrance, though to be fair, it achieves a unique accord with its take on "oud" in the middle phases. I can't think of anything that approximates it, honestly -- Fahrenheit Absolute may have a similar vibe, but certainly not a similar smell. M7 is ambery, sensual, warm, but also sort of balsamic and weird at the same time. Maybe look into other oud-amber pairings? Though honestly, I think M7 stands alone.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Aramis' Perfume Calligraphy has a similar vibe, with its sweetish light oud.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Basenotes Plus

Do you mean M7 Oud Absolu or the last reformulation of M7 before it was discontinued?

I'm referring to the original formula. Neither M7 Oud or the second version introduced during Pilati's tenure at YSL.

Nothing
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by lowfive1715 View Post
    I'm referring to the original formula. Neither M7 Oud or the second version introduced during Pilati's tenure at YSL.
    I own the second M7 version and have to agree although I do enjoy it. It just leaves something to be desired. I find that it works a lot better in a warmer climate compared to the winter though (65-80 degrees Fahrenheit).

Black Afgano. Not a cheap option

24 Gold, Vanilla centric oud
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes

Nothing.

The vintage is the best. Just more of everything and there's a note in it which I believe is mandrake root which I don't get in any of the other M7 versions. The reform is my least favorite. It's a sweeter version with a toned down opening. The oud fades fast in the reform. M7 Oud Absolute is the best blended of the 3, but it's missing the brute force of the vintage. It has more mandarine which brings it closer to M7 Fresh in the opening and the oud seems to last the longest. Also, there's a touch of the vintage which I don't get in the reform. To answer the OP's question there aren't any substitutes for M7.
    Last edited by silentrich; 29th March 2013 at 07:41 PM.

No exact substitute but I would also recommend Dior Fahrenheit Absolute.

Ormonde Jayne Man

Dependent

Nothing I've smelled other than M7OA is much like M7. I agree with silentrich that it's most likely the madrake that gives it so much uniqueness. I think mandrake and several other roots like ginseng, plai, galanga, angelica and valerian should be used a lot more as they provide a lot of interest and character to the perfumer's palette.

Either pony up for the original, or enjoy the first reformulation as noting is going to come close from any other house. I do have both orig. and reform and they as so so so very similar. Reform may "may" be a tad sweeter but that may have more to do with age or perception. I love the reform just as much as the original; and its getting just as expensive as the original, and for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    Truth is, M7 is much more an amber than it is an oud fragrance, though to be fair, it achieves a unique accord with its take on "oud" in the middle phases. .
    THANK GOD !!!
    Finally someone said it ! Oud note is important, but M7 is more an amber-y than oud-y scent !!
    one of the best posts in these months!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrč Moreau View Post
    THANK GOD !!!
    Finally someone said it ! Oud note is important, but M7 is more an amber-y than oud-y scent !!
    one of the best posts in these months!
    I agree with this, but I also think there's a lot more going on in M7 to classify it as an amber.It's more ambery than woody, but the oud is what tempers the amber.

Check out Black Afgano

To me, By Kilian's Amber Oud is a more refined, better-quality version of original M7.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Spends if you like that liquirish scent, nothing has it. If you want a dark type scent, then most of recommendations are good. There is a very good thread on "Super dark" which has great options too

Another one for Black Afgano.

i wouldn't recommend Dior Fahrenheit Absolute at all. i do recommend Black Afgano

Nothing.
    And of course I think neither Fahrenheit Absolute nor Black Afgano smell like M7.
    My current top 10 (with no particular order):
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme Intense
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Costume National Scent Intense
    Terre d'Hermes EDT
    CK Eternity for Men
    Creed Aventus
    YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme (Old Tin Can)
    Thierry Mugler Pure Malt
    Costume National Homme

Give Korres' Saffron Amber Agarwood Cardamom a whirl.

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    To me, By Kilian's Amber Oud is a more refined, better-quality version of original M7
    I know both of these. I see no similarities whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Grungevig View Post
    Give Korres' Saffron Amber Agarwood Cardamom a whirl.
    I think Korres may have changed the formula on this one. I don't see Agarwood listed on the current bottles anymore ( It's named as Saffron Amber Cardamom now) . I also got a recent sample and it smelled notably different than my older sample with the agarwood listed.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I happen to love Fahrenheit Absolute and dislike M7, they are not similar at all to my nose - not even close.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Hello, this is my first post here, but my curiosity is driving me nuts with M7, can anyone describe it exactly? I purchased an "interpretation" of it and I just want to know if its in the ballpark, this question is going to sound odd, but its the best way I can describe the "interpretation" and SURELY somebody will know what I describe....

So here goes, please dont laugh if I got a very bad interpretation, also what I describe is not a bad smell, but it is EXACTLY what I smell...

Any parents out there? this smells EXACTLY like a clean diaper, straight out of the package I believe Huggies is the brand, can anyone confirm this? its not a bad smell, but I just want to know what the real M7 smells like.

very difficult to describe, but if you enter in a perfume shop, ask to try "M7 Oud Absolu", you will have a slight idea.

However: first minutes are a sort of "cough medicine syrup", in the middle you get a sort of "resinous" scent, and in the last hours a great -very great- "amber" mood.
    This is the good of this scent, the ability to "change" during the day.

The opening of Oud Absolu is quite different, a lot of tangerine and the oud note is more pronounced than in the vintage. But then the drydown is pretty much the same + myrrh. Longevity and projection are good too, a bit less than the vintage though.

Black afgano is completely different to me. Get the Oud Absolu version...

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Hard to say, but perhaps Fahrenheit Absolute or Tom Ford Oud Wood. I personally lean towards the Dior.
    I never tried Fahrenheit or any of its flankers, but can say that Oud Wood is strikingly similar to M7 reformulated version (I never tried the vintage).

I had a tough time telling the two apart. To me, Oud Wood seemed like an "extreme" version of M7. It had greater projection & longevity. Of the two, I prefer Oud Wood.

Thanks for your replies everyone! and you are all too kind by not pointing to the fact that I got a VERY VERY bad interpretation of M7 because that would smell NOTHING like a clean diaper LOL!

Well, it makes me even more curious about M7 because my current favorite is Eau Sauvage PARFUM (that is an important distinction, Eau Sauvage vs Eau Savuage parfum are nothing alike, they are different fragrances altogether) it starts out with Bergamont, settles into a resinous Myrrh and then into a sweet Myrrh its amazing in the drydown. I guess if you like M7 Absolu then you would like the Dior Sauvage Parfum, for me they have it local so I could smell before I buy.

I have a sample of Black Afgano coming in the mail as well as Jubilation 25, I never had the opportunity to smell any M7's I cant find them locally. But I think I must be into the smokey, resinous kinds of fragrance and I am trying to find more that are similar so I can have some variety, but keep to what I like.

Thanks again for the description

...maybe can you order a sample of M7 too?
    Vintage or reformulated, don't care, half of people can't smell any -or very little- difference between.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddysLittleHelper View Post
    Thanks for your replies everyone! and you are all too kind by not pointing to the fact that I got a VERY VERY bad interpretation of M7 because that would smell NOTHING like a clean diaper LOL!

Well, it makes me even more curious about M7 because my current favorite is Eau Sauvage PARFUM (that is an important distinction, Eau Sauvage vs Eau Savuage parfum are nothing alike, they are different fragrances altogether) it starts out with Bergamont, settles into a resinous Myrrh and then into a sweet Myrrh its amazing in the drydown. I guess if you like M7 Absolu then you would like the Dior Sauvage Parfum, for me they have it local so I could smell before I buy.

I have a sample of Black Afgano coming in the mail as well as Jubilation 25, I never had the opportunity to smell any M7's I cant find them locally. But I think I must be into the smokey, resinous kinds of fragrance and I am trying to find more that are similar so I can have some variety, but keep to what I like.

Thanks again for the description

Quote Originally Posted by Andrč Moreau View Post
    ...maybe can you order a sample of M7 too?
    Vintage or reformulated, don't care, half of people can't smell any -or very little- difference between.
    Its what I should have done to begin with, I was trying to spare some money and roll the dice seeing as how, even if I like it, I cannot get the M7 any longer. I figured if I liked the interperetation, then I dont even need to smell the original stuff. I'll get around to sampling the M7 oud absolu but it will be a while, I have too much cologne to sort through right now as I just started out on my quest.

I sampled Fahrenheit Parfum for the first time today.
    I found the base to be VERY similar to M7.

Lanvin Arpege is M7 sans agarwood. To me, they are very, very much alike in smell, vibe and character.

Actually, I know where to buy the discontinued Arpege for low price in my city, but I don't buy it just because I have two bottles of M7, don't see much of a point in having Arpege.

L'Air du Desert by Tauer as an M/ vibe
    also Imperial Oud by Perris