Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "Adventures in Layering"

I freely admit I am a Newbie when it comes to the wonderful world of perfumes and I am only now learning to distinguish my "notes". In only 3 months I am amazed how much my tastes have "matured" and have grown to love scents that before would have made me run screaming to the shower!

Lately, I have become fascinated with layering scents. Most of my perfumes at the moment are more "main stream" and I have only recently been introduced to the world of "niche"...(unfortunately only samples)

Today I layered Alien with Agent Provocateur (the original) and it smells SUBLIME!!!
    The jasmine and woody notes in Alien blend wonderfully with Agent Provocateur's rose and musk.....aaahhhhh heaven.....!

I am wondering if anyone here has had any (good or bad) adventures in layering as well that they would like to discuss. I know there are some other past posts regarding layering as well, but they seemed to be almost all super "niche" examples and most were fragrances I have not had the pleasure of smelling as of yet.

A few other examples of my "adventures in layering"....
    **Coty Vanilla Musk layered with Givenchy Organza First Light = yuuuuuummmy! it reminded me of my favorite Givenchy Organza Indecence!!!

**Pink Sugar Sensual layered with J.Del Pozo In White= wonderful!!! It softened down the strong white floral notes and made it sexy.

**Donna Karan Gold layered with Queen Latifah's Queen=Really nice!! The ultra feminine and strong Lily notes in "gold" blend really well with Queen's strong Patchouli, Vanilla and Incense.

I would love to hear about other combinations as well!!
    ****Making the world a better place One Scented Hug at a Time.... ****

Default Re: "Adventures in Layering"

I layer Bhiel's PC01 and The Different Company's Pure Virgin together. PC01 is citrusy and Pure Virgin is clothesline fresh bordering on vanilla. Neither is the perfect scent alone; together, they're fantastic, though neither has the staying power I thought they'd have. I'd like to try the Pure Virgin with some kind of oud - I think those scents would work well together.

Post Thanks / Like

Trinaunz, That combination sounds so nice!! I have not smelled either one, but am adding those to my "need to try" list! I have created a list of perfumes I need to try. I am so new to this "scene" that I honestly thought at first that there were only 2 ways to try a perfume; Either you "tested" it at the perfume counter at your nearest Dpt. store, - OR - you just blindly bought a full bottle of whatever you "heard" sounded nice; (opinions from friends or reading reviews online)....Good Lord! Pretty darn dumb huh? LOL
    I had NO idea that there were whole websites and Online stores devoted to samples. When I found this out, I was in PERFUME HEAVEN!! My current "must try" list is going on almost 30 different scents to try! I know that list will only grow larger and larger the more I learn. Last night was the very first time I logged onto "surrendertochance" and was blown away by their inventory!! It's still expensive, but so much safer that blind buying.

@AromaofTacoma - yep, once you get started, it's hard to stop! I found those frags at Scent Bar in LA (they're associated with the online store lucky scent). It's an especially great experience when you find someone at a boutique store who is knowledgeable about the scents and loves sharing that information with you. Plus, he gave me a few samples of the "runners up" to take home with me - made it easier to "commit" to just a few frags at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

I was messing around last week and sprayed on Dries van Noten par Frederic Malle (a sandalwood with a dry vanilla)-- and then not long after some Songes (bright white, powdery floral) and it was delicious. The former sticks around forever, but the latter wakes it up, brightens it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

+

I discovered these unintentionally. Man, do the two smell good together.
    Looking for THE femme fatale scent. If you think there is something I should smell please PM me!

Post Thanks / Like

Nefret & VintagePoison - I am drooling!! those combinations sound amazing!!

Post Thanks / Like

Successful Layering:
    Byredo La Tulipe and Caron Fleurs de Rocaille
    Byredo Bal d'Afrique and Mariah Carey Luscious Pink
    Miss Dior Esprit Parfum and Diorling

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I guess I am really the newbie...I thought you meant layering as the lotion with the fragrance, not two different fragrances entirely....guess I have a lot to learn, lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tweety View Post
    Well, I guess I am really the newbie...I thought you meant layering as the lotion with the fragrance, not two different fragrances entirely....guess I have a lot to learn, lol
    hehe! Tweety, you are NOT a noob for thinking that!! If you google "perfume layering" it will generally refer to using lotions and powders of the same scent (as you mentioned) But, when I think of layering, along with a lot of other obsessed perfumistas, I think of blending two different scents together. I will sometimes spritz a small amount on my wrists and then take a complimentary secondary scent and spray that lightly over the first. I have also just sprayed one wrist with one scent, and then spray the other wrist with my 2nd perfume. I have had some good "discoveries" layering these perfumes.

I almost forgot to add that I usually begin with a complimentary perfumed lotion even BEFORE adding my 2 different perfumes; (Holy Moley! That means I'm actually using 3 different scents!! Yikes!) The 2 lotions I have been using a lot lately, are Donna Karan Gold perfumed lotion and Lancôme's Tresor. I also have Vera Wang Body Butter and it smells AMAZING under different perfumes.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, Tweety!

I tried a sample of Essence de Cartier d'Orange yesterday, and it was a little boring until I sprayed Cuir de Lancome next to it -- it was amazing.

AromaofTacoma, I love your tagline!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the welcome and advice--and agreed, love the tagline AromaofTacoma....nothing better than a hug with a great scent to cheer you up and give you "warm fuzzies", especially when you're having a bad day

Post Thanks / Like

DON'T TRY THIS
    I was wearing Cristalle EDP with lotion when I purchased Creed Fleurissimo today. The two DO NOT go together well.

Post Thanks / Like

Put a dab of Korres Green tangerine oil just before Tam Dao today and it made one of my favourites scents that much better!
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Post Thanks / Like

Tweety & SaNielsen, TY for your kind comments about my "tag line" ! **/HUGZ!!! cute kittie!.jpg

NineInchNell, I can't believe it, but I have NEVER tried Chanel Cristalle!! It's on my L--O--N--G list of perfumes to try asap!!! too bad it didn't work well with Fleurissimo ( UGH I haven't tried that one yet either! I suck!) I too, have had some real "stinkers" in my layering adventures! LOL. I think the worst one recently was when I layered Dior Tendre Poison (adore it alone) and Givenchy's Organza (adore that alone as well!) But, HOLY CRAP! what was I thinking??? those two are NOT meant to use together!! ROFL /GAG!! /barf....! The only excuse I have is that I was a bit tipsy! hehe ***I am a true "light-weight" when it comes to drinking..I ADORE my lemon drop martinis, but honestly, I get way too tipsy too fast! two drinks is my perfect amount, but 3 is my absolute limit, otherwise I am soooooooooooooooooooo sick!!! ***Side Note*** I just got home 30 minutes ago from a local Mexican Restaurant, and I had 2 blackberry mojitos!! WHOO HOOO!

Sea Roses, I adore Tam Dao and can only drool over the thought of mixing it with delicious tangerine oil!!! /drool!

I have a large collection of pure essential oils, and I am just now wondering if any one of those would be good to use with some of my perfumes.........The only problem, is that most of them are "blends"....! So, Thank You Sea Roses for giving me the idea of using essential oils along with my perfumes!! I cannot believe I did not think of that before this! Although, once, a year ago I DID mix a couple of drops of peppermint oil into some nice body lotion and used it on my feet after giving myself a pedicure! It smelled divine!

queen of the universe
    Post Thanks / Like

Vintage Weil Zibeline and the modern Mauboussin de Mauboussin would seem to be too much of everything, but they combine into something quite luxurious.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Wow, did I discover a wonderful combo last night! These two do not seem to go with each other at all, and yet they DO!
    YSL Opium Eau D'ete layered with Victoria's Secret Very Sexy (2012 version) I know it sounds bizarre!! but I'm telling you they truly do compliment each other beautifully!!
    YSL Opium Eau D'ete: Oriental- Main Accords: Citrus, balmy, white floral, sweet, fresh spicy & amber.
    Top notes: Bergamot, jasmine, orange, myrhh, patchouli & vanilla.

Victoria Secret Very Sexy: Oriental Floral- Main Accords: Fresh spicy, floral, citrus, fruity & musky.
    Top Notes: Pepper, clementine, musk, cactus, blackberry, woods...

The fresh peppery wood notes in Very Sexy blend perfectly with Opium D'ete's balmy and spicy amber notes! It really does smell divine...

***I sadly do not own the original Opium any longer so I cannot experiment to see what that would blend well with as well. I ordered my Opium D'ete on Ebay and I thought I WAS bidding on regular Opium, nowhere in the listing did it say it was a different version. I ended up really liking this version, but I miss my old Opium I had years ago.

This morning I tried layering the Opium D'ete with Marc Jacobs Blush and It also smells really good. The strong jasmine and orange blossoms in Blush really compliment the Opium.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AromaOfTacoma View Post
    Sea Roses, I adore Tam Dao and can only drool over the thought of mixing it with delicious tangerine oil!!! /drool!

I have a large collection of pure essential oils, and I am just now wondering if any one of those would be good to use with some of my perfumes.........The only problem, is that most of them are "blends"....! So, Thank You Sea Roses for giving me the idea of using essential oils along with my perfumes!! I cannot believe I did not think of that before this! Although, once, a year ago I DID mix a couple of drops of peppermint oil into some nice body lotion and used it on my feet after giving myself a pedicure! It smelled divine!
    Hi AromaofTacoma (great name)

Korres put out a line of essential oils......much like a lot from the different organic lines like Neals Yard. Was lucky enough to get some of these. When sweet limes and Cedar was discontinued by Jo Malone I used the cedar oil by Korres and then put on TF Azure Limes which was very nice.

Take care

sea roses
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

Quote Originally Posted by VintagePoison View Post
    +

I discovered these unintentionally. Man, do the two smell good together.
    That seems like it would smell amazing!