Code of Conduct
    treeman5823

Default Chypre Palatin and IFRA

It smells like CP has a ton of oakmoss. How did Duchaufour do it? Is this just an illusion, or did he disregard IFRA refualtions? Which begs a deeper question: is Parfums MDCI independent from the IFRA?

Default Re: Chypre Palatin and IFRA

Whatever the truth is, one thing is undeniable IMO - Chypre Palatin is a very nice scent.
    Last edited by hednic; 29th March 2013 at 09:41 PM.

There's detailed info. re. IFRA from the experts in DIY in one of the stickies.
    Be interested to hear more about how this fragrance was made?

Sound Scents

I actually thought is was oak moss light. I would have loved for it to have had a lot more in it but I suspect it was the IFRA regs at play there. My guess is it is compliant.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

If publicly sold they probably need to be for insurance purposes?
    Allergens are listed on labels now it seems - this isn't recent, but interesting anyway:-
    http://www.gcimagazine.com/business/...79.html?page=1
    Last edited by lpp; 29th March 2013 at 09:44 PM.

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I actually thought is was oak moss light. I would have loved for it to have had a lot more in it but I suspect it was the IFRA regs at play there. My guess is it is compliant.
    I'm smelling on my hand right now, and it smells very oakmoss-prominent. Who knows?

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by treeman5823 View Post
    I'm smelling on my hand right now, and it smells very oakmoss-prominent. Who knows?
    Try spraying some vintage Captain by Molyneux on your other side-by-side and see if you still feel the same. ;-)
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Basenotes Plus

I agree. I get light oak moss. Partially for that very reason (it's supposed to be a chypre remember) CP never thrilled me.
    Last edited by Dernier_Cri; 30th March 2013 at 12:54 AM.

Guerlainista

It smells like a new style chypre to me, in the same vein as 31 Rue Cambon. No oak moss, but somehow it creates a chypre-like effect. It's an olfactory illusion, I think.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I think its okay. To me, the threw some chype top notes to invasion barbare. I preder IB of the two.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Guerlainista

I don't see any similarity at all between Invasion Barbare and CP.

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    I don't see any similarity at all between Invasion Barbare and CP.
    Agree, but then again I'm not the best at picking out individual notes.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

I get a similar vanillic base. There is definitely something similar or akin to me that reminds me one of the other. However, I do feel they are different enough to warrant both in a collection. I haven't done a note comparison.

treeman5823

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I think its okay. To me, the threw some chype top notes to invasion barbare. I preder IB of the two.
    What? Have you even smelled CP? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    If publicly sold they probably need to be for insurance purposes?
    Allergens are listed on labels now it seems - this isn't recent, but interesting anyway:-
    http://www.gcimagazine.com/business/...79.html?page=1
    No. IFRA is a voluntary association, only members of IFRA need to comply with its rules. AFAIK Parfums MDCI isn't a member: nothing on either the IFRA regional website nor PMDCI's website to indicate as such, either.

What? Have you even smelled CP? :-)
    Yep, have the both. Can you not detect a vanilla in the dry down of both. I've yet to do a side by side but plan to when time permits. The styrax and vanilla is whats akin for me, to my nose.

treeman5823

Yep, have the both. Can you not detect a vanilla in the dry of both. I've yet to do a side by side but plan to when time permits.
    I smell amber, oakmoss, and birch tar, but nothing overtly vanillic.

I smell amber, oakmoss, and birch tar, but nothing overtly vanillic.
    I suppose I'm sensitive to vanilla. I use to hate that note and I can detect it. Recently, I've come to grow found of it and find it comforting when done right as is the case with these fine fragrances and in something like Straight to Heaven. The vanilla doesn't stand out but for me its there and in that case provides good support in the base. This thread has inspired to put a dab on and try to pick the other notes out in singularity. Its so well blended that it can become challenging.

Basenotes Plus

I'm really not trying to be "that guy" but if I am, sorry. But shortly into the dry down I think Chypre Palatin becomes little more than an amber fragrance. Labdanum, benzoin and vanilla are all in the pyramid which doesn't necessarily mean anything but to my nose I get lots of amber.

Okay, I'm wearing it now. Definitely different for IB, but I do get the styrax and vanilla right away. It seems that it burns off and tone down to a supporting role. I do detect amber now that I "looking" for it. Interesting.

I've got IB on the other hand. The lavender pops me straight away and I detect the vanilla. I agree, these are two different scents but they do share vanilla and I suppose I pick up on that regardless of what stage it comes in. Both are very, very good. I've always given the edge to IB but I will continue to test both for some clarity.

Basenotes Plus

Okay, I'm wearing it now. Definitely different for IB, but I do get the styrax and vanilla right away. It seems that it burns off and tone down to a supporting role. I do detect amber now that I "looking" for it. Interesting.
    Styrax (benzoin) is often used to make ambers. So is vanilla. And I think the labdanum is the business note in most ambers and probably the amber note in CP. Just my opinion. I know so many basenoters love amber, but if a fragrance is marketed as a chypre I'm expecting something more like an chypre.
    We have to keep in mind of course that Labdanum is traditionally a fundamental component of the Chypre. Again my nose says, "Amber".
    Last edited by Dernier_Cri; 30th March 2013 at 04:39 AM.

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Agree, but then again I'm not the best at picking out individual notes.
    Neither am I, but I'm usually not all that interested in plucking out notes. I find it more interesting to consider the overall effect, though its harder to talk about with precision. Note calling is a little like studying a piece of architecture to identify the materials used to construct it rather than experiencing its sense of scale or considering its use of form.

CP and IB don't have the same feel at all. The overall structure feels completely different.

It took me a few wears to see it, but IB feels like a fougere, with modern embellishments - like some of the traditional parts of the composition are replaced by weird synthetic analogs that somehow create a comparable effect. Like a Michaelangelo's David wearing composite body armor.

CP is like a beautiful modern feminine chypre butched up a bit by dialing back the more bosomy floral notes in the opening. The closest things to it for me are 31 Rue Cambon, Acqua di Parma Profumo and Jubilation 25. Later in the development its a sort of sweet and fruity chypre, but a super clean one - none of the earthy/bitter/tart tone of a classic masculine chypre or even vintage Mitsouko. They call it a masculine, but its about as masculine to me as Keira Knightley wearing coveralls and a fake moustache. Don't get me wrong - I love it.

I guess it's amber in the base of CP - something has to take place of the moss down there. Maybe there are some ambery components in IB too, but lots of perfumes have these components.

Wasn't it Jacques Guerlain who said that you rarely find a good perfume that does not have vanilla?

Nicely put, rubegon. I have only recently tried Chypre Palatin, like it a lot, waiting a week or so before attempting a review - I did a left / right with some vintage Parure and that was quite interesting . . . I think, like 31 Rue Cambon, it leans in that floral chypre direction for as long as it can, but then Duchaufor has edged over to more of a chypriental vibe to finish it off - smart move given the impossiblity of grounding it with oakmoss. It's still a bit of a moving target for me.

Guerlainista

It's the new world order, MR. They are all doing what they can to survive. It can't be as it was - it has to be something different, but what? I like BDs answer to that question - and he seems to be saying "this is what the chypre will be henceforth!" Will it take the chypre's place as a pillar of perfumery? Who the hell knows?, but I'm enjoying it so far.

At least until science gives us the ability to perfectly and safely recreate the smell of any deadly poisonous perfume we want and we can love our real chypres and jasmins and heliotropes again.

Beautiful fragrance. Amazing how he cut the sweets (benzoin especially) with greens, animalics, a little birch tar, whatever. Feels like an intelligent chypre at the core, spread out through the, comfort of an extremely well made oriental. It doesn’t smell animalic but the animalics castoreum and costus give it a lasting fleshy warmth and a smooth, velvety, almost oozing from the pores feel. Never heavy or flat, it has excellent olfactory viscosity and density, soft hands (great touch), the genius of compositional balance to offset any heaviness. Love the trajectory of the thing. In that way it’s similar to great fragrances like Patou pour Homme, etc.

I don’t compare it with Invasion Barbare other than that they’re both great compositions.

@Treeman - just fyi - this is what a Perfumer says about IFRA/EEC compliance issues & related stuff in EEC/USA :-

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/292501-IFRA-Standards-a-summary

And B/N posted this very interesting interview with Erwin Creed who explains some compliance issues (thanks to all concerned) :-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ9W5QURIv8

which another member kindly posted yesterday here:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/339948-Erwin-Creed-on-IFRA-EU-Restriction

Last edited by lpp; 31st March 2013 at 08:32 AM.

To my greatest surprise and joy, my country's first niche-oriented shop has just begun carrying the MDCI line. And my three samples are already on the way I'm extremely curious about IB and CP - the third being Ambre Topkapi.

Oakmoss doesn't leap out at me in this one.
    Funnily though, of the new breed 'no oakmoss' chypres, I find Grossmith's Golden Chypre does a fairly convincing job. I assume it is the combination of patchouli and vetiver. Real oakmoss ( to my nose ) shares the eathy characteristics of these.

I just wanted to comment again and thank rubegon and mr.reasonable for the excellent reading. It's those kinds of conversations that make me want to learn more about perfumery, and keep my interest in the knowledge of basenotes alive.

I don't really want to turn the thread into a "how I feel about Chypre Palatin" thread, but I'll leave it at something that helped me expand my horizons from the typical fragrances you see around here and elsewhere, and really start challenging myself on some level. I love the stuff, and I wear it anywhere I want with no ill feelings.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Oakmoss doesn't leap out at me in this one.
    Funnily though, of the new breed 'no oakmoss' chypres, I find Grossmith's Golden Chypre does a fairly convincing job. I assume it is the combination of patchouli and vetiver. Real oakmoss ( to my nose ) shares the eathy characteristics of these.
    I was really looking forward to liking Grossmith Golden Chypre after hearing good things about it. (Luckyscent just got it in).
    It was a big disappointment. Perfectly decent but far from anything special chypre or otherwise. And no I didn't think the "no oak moss" concept worked very well here. Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I don’t compare it with Invasion Barbare other than that they’re both great compositions.
    I can agree now. After spending time with both and even wearing both at the same time to do direct comparisons, I can further differentiate and identify them as uniquely different. For CP, this has to be my favorite chypre, even trumping the mighty Casamorati Fiero which is nowhere near as polished. This thread has helped me tremendously!

It doesn’t smell animalic but the animalics castoreum and costus give it a lasting fleshy warmth and a smooth, velvety, almost oozing from the pores feel. Never heavy or flat, it has excellent olfactory viscosity and density, soft hands (great touch), the genius of compositional balance to offset any heaviness.
    It's this 'third leg of the stool' that makes the difference, I think - as well as Parure I actually flashed on Habanita the first time I wore it, where there's that blend of boudoir oriental with animalic / leather / skank whatever you might want to call it. I have 'sampled' CP four evenings in a row now and it's speaking in a different accent each time, which is a hell a lot of fun. I'm holding out for a second hit next week which I'll probably be a litttle less restrained with and then, I imagine, it will be time to order a bottle.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by sables View Post
    Monsieur Duchaufour used "oakmoss low atranol" for his "Chypre Palatin"
    I told him to use the 91 AKI but he wouldn't listen to me.

Guerlainista

I wonder whether the new low atranol extracts smell less mossy, or maybe they can also only be used in very low amounts. None of the new chypres that use it smell particular mossy to me.

@sables - thank you for the info.

Beautiful fragrance. Amazing how he cut the sweets (benzoin especially) with greens, animalics, a little birch tar, whatever. Feels like an intelligent chypre at the core, spread out through the, comfort of an extremely well made oriental. It doesn’t smell animalic but the animalics castoreum and costus give it a lasting fleshy warmth and a smooth, velvety, almost oozing from the pores feel. Never heavy or flat, it has excellent olfactory viscosity and density, soft hands (great touch), the genius of compositional balance to offset any heaviness. Love the trajectory of the thing. In that way it’s similar to great fragrances like Patou pour Homme, etc.

I share with Pluran the "amazing how he cuts it" opinion.

But I'd say :Amazing how he cut the musk with resins and animalic.

for swap/sale:

treeman5823

Interesting comments. I don't see any resemblance between 31 Rue Cambon and CP; 31 certainly has no oakmoss, but recreates the bitter effect with iris and pepper. Anyway, I really like CP, but find it just a tad heavy: it smells like it contains half the world's production of birch tar and smoky amber. I actually like RC better--it is, quite simply, one of the most beautiful perfumes I have ever smelled.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's an email Parfums MDCI sent me. Though you guys might be interested.

Dear Mr. Aragon,

"Chypre Palatin", a floral green chypre, is indeed compliant with IFRA 's latest amendment ( like all our fragrances, by the way).

Today more than ever, and most likely less than tomorrow, the perfumer's task is very much complicated by the new guidelines- that's what they are- for the moment, guidelines, not rules or directives- and he has to play with what is available in terms of ingredients and orchestrate the whole to reach the desired effect, while stricktly remaining within the limits.

In the present case, Bertrand Duchaufour's talent becomes obvious: the oakmoss is present but in "legal" quantities, that mean almost as a trace, while the other ingredients of the base notes in particular - benjamin, styrax, leather, castoreum, tolu, vanilla, costus, everlasting flower absolute, all blend perfectly and powerfully enough to make for the low amount of oakmoss.

The formula is in general rich and quite complex:
    head-notes :hyancinth, clementine, aldehydes, cistus oil, galbanum , thyme oil, lavender,
    heart-notes : rose, jasmine, iris concrete, plum, gardenia

I hope that this answers your question, if not please feel welcome to call again,

Yours very truly,

Claude Marchal

Guerlainista

Interesting comments. I don't see any resemblance between 31 Rue Cambon and CP; 31 certainly has no oakmoss, but recreates the bitter effect with iris and pepper. Anyway, I really like CP, but find it just a tad heavy: it smells like it contains half the world's production of birch tar and smoky amber. I actually like RC better--it is, quite simply, one of the most beautiful perfumes I have ever smelled.

- - - Updated - - -

Dear Mr. Aragon,

"Chypre Palatin", a floral green chypre, is indeed compliant with IFRA 's latest amendment ( like all our fragrances, by the way).

Today more than ever, and most likely less than tomorrow, the perfumer's task is very much complicated by the new guidelines- that's what they are- for the moment, guidelines, not rules or directives- and he has to play with what is available in terms of ingredients and orchestrate the whole to reach the desired effect, while stricktly remaining within the limits.

In the present case, Bertrand Duchaufour's talent becomes obvious: the oakmoss is present but in "legal" quantities, that mean almost as a trace, while the other ingredients of the base notes in particular - benjamin, styrax, leather, castoreum, tolu, vanilla, costus, everlasting flower absolute, all blend perfectly and powerfully enough to make for the low amount of oakmoss.

The formula is in general rich and quite complex:
    head-notes :hyancinth, clementine, aldehydes, cistus oil, galbanum , thyme oil, lavender,
    heart-notes : rose, jasmine, iris concrete, plum, gardenia

I hope that this answers your question, if not please feel welcome to call again,

Yours very truly,

Claude Marchal
    thanks for posting that. Very interesting to see that MDCI give personal attention to email inquiries about their perfumes. Seems almost like a family business.

by the way, I didn't mean to suggest that RC and CP are similar overall. I see the parallels mostly in the way they construct a chypre effect in the first part of the compositions. I can't say that the base is similar at all, because RC is almost completely lacking a base.

treeman5823

by the way, I didn't mean to suggest that RC and CP are similar overall. I see the parallels mostly in the way they construct a chypre effect in the first part of the compositions. I can't say that the base is similar at all, because RC is almost completely lacking a base.
    Yes, RC's base is pretty much just a light amber. The chypre effect in RC is built on a vertical (harmony) axis versus a horizontal (melody, time-based) axis.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Dernier_Cri View Post
    Styrax (benzoin) is often used to make ambers. So is vanilla. And I think the labdanum is the business note in most ambers and probably the amber note in CP. Just my opinion. I know so many basenoters love amber, but if a fragrance is marketed as a chypre I'm expecting something more like an chypre. We have to keep in mind of course that Labdanum is traditionally a fundamental component of the Chypre. Again my nose says, "Amber".[/B]
    There is a lot of confusion in terminology for benzoin/styrax. I find usually that in perfume pyramids "benzoin" refers to Styrax tonkinensis (or synthetics approximating), which is vanillic, powdery, opaque and slightly leathery, and "styrax" refers to Liquidamber orientalis, which has a substantially different character, being sweet, clean, transparent, and cinnamic. (I much perfer L. orientalis, so beautiful!) Further confusing matters is that both or either are commonly used to create "amber" accords.

It took me a few wears to see it, but IB feels like a fougere, with modern embellishments - like some of the traditional parts of the composition are replaced by weird synthetic analogs that somehow create a comparable effect. Like a Michaelangelo's David wearing composite body armor.
    Genius image there my friend

CP is like a beautiful modern feminine chypre butched up a bit by dialing back the more bosomy floral notes in the opening. The closest things to it for me are 31 Rue Cambon, Acqua di Parma Profumo and Jubilation 25. Later in the development its a sort of sweet and fruity chypre, but a super clean one - none of the earthy/bitter/tart tone of a classic masculine chypre or even vintage Mitsouko. They call it a masculine, but its about as masculine to me as Keira Knightley wearing coveralls and a fake moustache. Don't get me wrong - I love it.
    Great image!

Wasn't it Jacques Guerlain who said that you rarely find a good perfume that does not have vanilla?
    Thank goodness that isn't true anymore!

Thanks for the heads up about the birch tar in CP. Now I'm not so curious anymore. Blech hate the stuff.

I wonder whether the new low atranol extracts smell less mossy, or maybe they can also only be used in very low amounts. None of the new chypres that use it smell particular mossy to me.
    I've been mainlining atranol and it's a very mossy high. I find if I have it in my veins, I can deal with the IFRA restrictions better.

Interesting comments. I don't see any resemblance between 31 Rue Cambon and CP; 31 certainly has no oakmoss, but recreates the bitter effect with iris and pepper. Anyway, I really like CP, but find it just a tad heavy: it smells like it contains half the world's production of birch tar and smoky amber.
    Agh, get it away!

Thanks for that, man. Solid customer service, no surprise considering their products' quality.

2013 will affect a lot more more than oakmoss as I understand it (which isn't particularly well).
    Last edited by lpp; 31st March 2013 at 11:03 PM.

Thanks for the email - interesting.

Blog Entries

Since I don't really like original, heavy oakmoss, the attempts to reformulate what once was, actually suit my nose. "Chypre Palatin" is a very wearable scent. It may not last as long but it is not "stuffy", "old-fashioned" but modern. True vintage oakmoss may seem dated if it were indeed faithfully included. The consumer crowd has changed. There is always the ugly slogan, "old lady scent", "grandma scent" and the like.

As a side note - Oriza L. Legrand has done an excellent job of bringing back very, very old scents. The original formula?? They say themselves, that they tweaked it a bit. Very successfully so. I ordered the sample set and love it.

"Chypre Palatin" is also part of a very reasonable sample set.

But I digress. What I want to say is that "all is not lost, if heavy oakmoss is not used anymore".
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Same. I'm not sure I picked up any oak moss in it. Hard to tell, with all that syrup on top.
    Now Chypre Mousse, that seems to have lots of OM.

Blog Entries

"Chypre Mousse" is lovingly described by Kafka in her blog. According to the pyramid, oakmoss is both in the heart notes and base notes.

http://akafkaesquelife.wordpress.com...-reve-dossian/

Now, I wonder, as the firm Oriza L. Legrand claims to have faithfully rendered a close similarity to the original formula, how was that possible with the IFRA regulations?

At any rate, however much the formula was tweaked, the result is harmonious and beautiful. Modern.
    Last edited by Ursula; 27th January 2014 at 05:30 PM.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)