Code of Conduct

Default in the Bargain Bin: BASALA pour Homme, by Shiseido

Just found a 50ml/1.7oz bottle without box, 99% full, at not so expensive price (10 euros/13dollars) .... put inside the fragrances bargain bin.
    I almost forgot how good was this perfume, many people talk thrashy about it, but I find it a pretty good masculine frag. Spices and vetiver are an explosive mix.
    Thumbs up for me.

Default Re: in the Bargain Bin: BASALA pour Homme, by Shiseido

Great Fragrance. Bought this when it first came out and was known as Basara. Glad I have this in my collection.

I have hunted for this 1 for a long time.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

That's a good buy - glad you liked it
    Do they still have decent bargain bins in Italy?
    In 2005 I found a few, but most had ceased having anything good in 2007 and 2009 - the only real bargains I could find were testers in the local hardware store.
    Regards,
    Renato

And if anyone out there cares about such things, the bottle was designed by Marc Newson.

Overcome By Fumes

Nice catch!

Lucky you!! I've been searching for years!
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

I love stories like this "people finding very good deals on fragrances, especially ones that are very hard to find". I have never heard of it but from what I have read on it, it sounds like you found a treasure. Could you describe the scent and maybe something easily available that it might smell like?
    Living each day one spray at a time

hi Renato,
    nice italian name, BTW
    here in Italy things changed a lot in these 2-3 years. There is much "poverty" than before, and people begin to sell things at flea markets or "second-hand-stores" . It is not so difficult to find perfumes at fairly prices, although almost all are used/without box.
    I't's a very good affair for those that want to try ancient perfumes, without caring for the "new-in-box" or "mint condition".
    Similarly, perfume shops began to sell less-requested scents (=old fragrances) at heavily discount prices. Be careful, great stores such as Sephora, Douglas, and others famous names, don't sell ancient perfumes: you can find them only in the old, little beauty shops/tobacconists.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    That's a good buy - glad you liked it
    Do they still have decent bargain bins in Italy?
    In 2005 I found a few, but most had ceased having anything good in 2007 and 2009 - the only real bargains I could find were testers in the local hardware store.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Andrč Moreau; 30th March 2013 at 11:18 AM.

Dependent

Wow, killer find! Basala is so unique. Just beautiful juice -- I think there's a good blast of castoreum in there too. My friend was telling me about his finds in Goodwill shops and I got kind of jealous -- I never seem to find any bottles in those shops.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P View Post
    And if anyone out there cares about such things, the bottle was designed by Marc Newson.
    Thanks for the heads up -- this makes sense. The bottle is one of the most beautiful I've come across, truly a cut above.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy01 View Post
    I love stories like this "people finding very good deals on fragrances, especially ones that are very hard to find". I have never heard of it but from what I have read on it, it sounds like you found a treasure. Could you describe the scent and maybe something easily available that it might smell like?
    The least I could say ...it's a blast of resinous woods and spices. Miles away from the aquatic scents reigning today.

Like Mr. Hednic I have a bottle of Basara myself. Great stuff.
    What do you call people that are afraid of Santa Claus?

Claustrophobic

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy01 View Post
    Basala is extremely unique. The only thing I've ever come across that's like it is Jaguar Mark II, which was composed in the same year by the same perfumer. It's almost as rare as Basala, but not quite as deep -- perhaps more wearable and casual.

loved it when it came out! found a tester a couple of months ago but they didn't sell it to me!

I'm lucky to have in the collection a 100 ml untouched bottle (i have also a second for my current use) of this really testosteronical smokey fragrance. Virile beyond each limit.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    I'm lucky to have in the collection a 100 ml untouched bottle (i have also a second for my current use) of this really testosteronical smokey fragrance. Virile beyond each limit.
    Hm, I don't find it all that smoky

Nice catch andrč!!
    In my collection I' ve a 100 ml tester of this wonderful scent and recently i bought three 150 ml after shave lotion for 15 € each.
    The after shave lotion is very good and today I' m wearing it.
    I don't understand why they discontinued this marterpiece!
    mdclx

Yes, infact you are right, in my limited english with the word "smokey" i intended to mean "flavoured with a mild tobacco touch" that is different from properly smoky a la Aventus for instance. About the mild tobacco presence, well, i'm sure to feel it on my skin each time i wear Basala.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by mdclx View Post
    Nice catch andrč!!
    In my collection I' ve a 100 ml tester of this wonderful scent and recently i bought three 150 ml after shave lotion for 15 € each.
    The after shave lotion is very good and today I' m wearing it.
    I don't understand why they discontinued this marterpiece!
    I agree, the AS lotion is very wearable too and has decent longevity. A light musk drydown as opposed to the heavy castoreum of the EdT which is gorgeous but can be overwhelming in the wrong situation or if overapplied.