Code of Conduct

Default Mauboussin - Génération M

M Generation is an underrated fragrance that deserves a bit more discussion around here. There was a good thread about it when it launched in 2010, but that one was more focused on initial impressions.

I've been wearing this fairly regularly over the last year and find that the more I smell it, the more I like it. This was a blind buy for me and I discovered it when searching for a combo of Sichuan pepper/sandalwood/jasmine notes on both Fragrantica and Basenotes. M Generation is the only fragrance that came up with that blend!

The notes list includes: top notes of bergamot, ginger, nutmeg, pink bay leaf, and Sichuan pepper; heart notes of iris, incense, cinnamon, jasmine; and base notes of labdanum, cedar, guaiac, and sandalwood. I have bolded the ones that seem most prominent to me. The jasmine is blended in there really nicely and very dry, so that this doesn't come across as at all flowery.

One of the things that has opened up to me over time is a subtle pipe tobacco accord that appears about midway through the development, but shifts to being sort of leathery later on. The effect is like tobacco that has been stored in a leather pouch and really adds a deeper level of nuance to this, beyond the spicy, woody, incense vibe that is more directly obvious. Also, the ginger seems to bifurcate itself into distinctly spicy and yet separately fruity, which spreads itself out to give a certain thickness, without being sweet.

This is an EdP and its strength lies in longevity (12+ hours), rather than projection or sillage. With 5 sprays (3 under shirt, 2 on neck), I can enjoy this all day without running the risk of being chastised by the "fragrance police" at my workplace.

This isn't a very mainstream fragrance, but is still very wearable. I really like that it smells distinctive and yet its differences from the standard designer fare don't make it challenging or difficult in any way.

Who else has some experience with M Generation and what are your thoughts on it? I wonder if part of the lack of discussion about it could be that it doesn't appear to be readily available in many places? I've never seen it in a store in either Hong Kong or Toronto, so my girlfriend ordered it for me online...

Default Re: Mauboussin - Génération M

A very nice fragrance and glad it's in my collection.

Its an average smell, lasts reasonable time but projection is dim.

I like amplified scents.

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    Its an average smell, lasts reasonable time but projection is dim.

I like amplified scents.
    I also enjoy amplified scents, but am happy to have alternatives for those times when I find myself in fragrance intolerant environments i.e. my workplace. In fact, finding something like M Generation was a real boon because good longevity and low projection don't always go hand in hand.

What do you find average about the smell?

I really appreciate this one as well ( as you know, CMcG). Nothing average at all. Unique, fits my personality, and it has really grown on my with time. Average fragrancs tend to fizzle out after sometime wearing them. M Generation became more addicting, so I think I must mean something about the character of the fragrance.

You are right, it does have good longevity. Glad I stuck with my bottle, because I was considering swapping it .
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Dependent

M Génération is simply one of the best cheaper scents, period. I agree with your bold face, though would include cedar as a prominent component, and say the incense is restrained. I don't get a clear tobacco or leather feel. The labdanum is certainly the main theme, with all those aromatics highlighting the brighter facets. The character is very natural and the balance very good -- too many synthetic emboldening components might affect the character too much, and I think the perfumers made the right choice to focus on good longevity without it being too much of a powerhouse. This is one of those scents that could easily be a daily wear since it goes on so smooth but retains a depth and complexity throughout its development.

It's a decent quality designer scent with a far from generic smell.

Surfacing and MonkeyBars, thanks for chiming in.

Left me qualify some of my earlier statements. I think one of the things that keeps me coming back to this one is the way it develops over its commendable longevity. Part of what makes that complexity is how it plays on perspective; it smells a bit different up close versus at a slight distance.

When I'm catching whiffs of it, I get the bolded notes from my first post. The spices, particularly the aromatic qualities of the Sichuan pepper, are a big part of the attraction for me, which has built up over time. Maybe this is the addicting quality that Surfacing has pointed out? It's sort of like eating spicy food; when one eats spicy regularly, it starts to become a craving. I agree with MonkeyBars that the incense is restrained, though I will have to try harder to catch some of that cedar.

Up close, however, is where I get that tobacco/leather accord, which isn't to say that it actually smells like either tobacco or leather! As an accord, it is reminiscent of those things, but more complex than either of them. I'm pretty sure it is the labdanum interacting with the other notes in somewhat ephemeral ways, because I don't get that tobacco/leather-esque accord all the time. I find that really intriguing, because it is suggestive and fleeting, rather than explicit.

My girlfriend, on the other hand, isn't a fan of the way M Generation smells on my skin. She identifies it as being "animalic," though she doesn't use that term... she told me yesterday that, up close, it smells like "dried spit" and that she much prefers the spicy and woody vibe that it projects at a bit of distance.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by CMcG View Post
    Up close, however, is where I get that tobacco/leather accord, which isn't to say that it actually smells like either tobacco or leather! As an accord, it is reminiscent of those things, but more complex than either of them. I'm pretty sure it is the labdanum interacting with the other notes in somewhat ephemeral ways, because I don't get that tobacco/leather-esque accord all the time. I find that really intriguing, because it is suggestive and fleeting, rather than explicit.
    Yes, what you are detecting is the leathery and tobaccoey facets of the labdanum.

My girlfriend, on the other hand, isn't a fan of the way M Generation smells on my skin. She identifies it as being "animalic," though she doesn't use that term... she told me yesterday that, up close, it smells like "dried spit" and that she much prefers the spicy and woody vibe that it projects at a bit of distance.
    Your gf has an excellent nose. Labdanum smells like fresh, clean saliva to me and is certainly animalic. I like that aspect of it and think it's the key to M Generation's successful formula. Not too much musk to muddy the clarity, which is a little unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Yes, what you are detecting is the leathery and tobaccoey facets of the labdanum.

Your gf has an excellent nose. Labdanum smells like fresh, clean saliva to me and is certainly animalic. I like that aspect of it and think it's the key to M Generation's successful formula. Not too much musk to muddy the clarity, which is a little unusual.
    Well then, three cheers for that rich and intriguing vein of labdanum running through M Generation!

As for the lack of discussion of it around here, I'm guessing not too many people have this one and that part of the problem is availability? I just looked at the Mauboussin websites and it is not listed in America/USA, Asia/Singapore/Malaysia, or North Africa/Morocco, but only on the Europe/France site. I haven't seen samples offered anywhere either, so perhaps people are reluctant to buy it blind?

My bottle was purchased from Strawberrynet based on reviews from Basenotes. I could see where a description that includes a "saliva" note could turn some people off... I don't get that from it, though there is definitely something a bit animalic about the labdanum.