Code of Conduct

Default Pick your day and night fragrances for a warm climate.

I do realise that this is perhaps not the most original of threads, but I would like like to hear what you guys would reach for in the rather fortunate situation of A: The HOT sunny day on the beach, and B: The still warm but slightly cooler evening/night at bars and clubs etc.

I'm planning on going away to a warmer climate soon and i'll hazard a guess that a lot of you, such as myself, find any excuse to open the wallet and add to the collection!

I do have a few that are well suited in the likes of Mugler Cologne and Prada Infusion, while I also feel that my new -and wonderful - Eau Savage EDP would be nice for the evening.

I absolutely love TF Neroli Portofino but I just cant justify the price (as with the obvious Creeds) but I may just be swayed by Mr. Ford's vetiver offering perhaps?

Pick your two frags and thanks for taking the time to view and reply.

Default Re: Pick your day and night fragrances for a warm climate.

Dior Homme Sport & Virgin Island Water

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    Dior Homme Sport & Virgin Island Water

I was thinking about Dior Homme Sport. Straight-up good fragrance with a bit of ginger and a hint of iris. Very nice. VIW is perfection for a hot day, though its perhaps too expensive with all of my current various outgoings (holiday bookings)

For beach: Like Shiny Beast noted VIW. Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts is another good one.
    For Evening: Millesime Imperial or one hit of Aventus.

Nothing in particular. Could really be anything from my vast collection as I don't distinguish according to climate.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Nothing in particular. Could really be anything from my vast collection as I don't distinguish according to climate.
    Well myself and as i'm sure that you are aware, many others on this forum obviously do (which is evident by the fact that you recently gave a recommendation to a person looking for a 'Balmain for summer')

Thank you for taking the time to let me know that you don't distinguish according to climate, i'll bear that in mind.....

Rocabar.

Day: Versace Pour Homme
    Night: YSL La Nuit de L'homme or Givenchy Play Intense

Silver Mountain Water and Aventus

If you are trying to keep it affordable, I would suggest

Day: Nautica Voyage, Monsieur Balmain, Dior Homme Sport (2008)

Evening: Dior Homme Sport (2012), Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Guerlain Homme Intense

Now, if you were interested in dropping a little more coin, recommendations may be a little different.

Day: Guerlain Eau de Guerlain
    Night: Creed Jardin d'Amalfi

If you like vetiver, give Encre Noir a try. I don't know where you'd be able to test, but it's quite nice and rather cheap.

Summer choices this year:

Day: Hermes Eau d'Orange vert, Creed MI & SV & Bois de Cedrat, Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche, Gianfranco Ferré Bergamotto Marino.

Night: Penhaligon's Castille, Santa Maria Novela Melograno, Lubin L.

Creed Imperiale Millesime, most of Hermes colognes for the day, Atelier Colognes too, as well as Chanel EDC and Guerlain Cologne Imperiale.

For the evening Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Terre d'Hermes too

You say you don't go for the obvious Creeds, which would be my choice: Millesime Imperial or VIW for the beach and Aventus for the night. This combination for me is perfect.

However, more in line with your budget would probably be Acqua di Parma Colonia for the day and something like Colonia Essenza for the night. Also look at the Blue Mediterraneo range for daytime. There are some real gems in there for summer days.

Selection Verte/Millesime Imperial for HOT day, Reflection Man/GIT for a cool summer evening.
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

A: For a hot sunny day on the beach, I'd say Sel Marin by Heeley
    B: Nothing beats tropical florals on a warm evening. Perhaps Mon Patchouly by Ramon Monegal
    * Serge Lutens rules *
    Fille en Aiguilles & Gris Clair & Fleurs d'Oranger & Tubereuse Criminelle & Sarrasins & Fumerie Turque & A la Nuit & Santal Majuscule & Sa Majeste la Rose & Five O'Clock Au Gingembre

I find the following works extremely well in the tropic heat in a beach setting

Day: I want something extremely crisp and fresh to lift the mood and cut through the heat
    Guerlain Homme, Paul Smith Story, Herba Fresca, L'ombre dans L'eau

Night: There is something about the smell of white flower that works magically with the see breeze
    Alien, La Cologne Fleur du Male, A la Nuit, Do Son

DAY: Lalique White
    NIGHT: Hanae Mori, HM

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I've never understood comments like that. Surely, you wouldn't wear a tux to a day at the beach, right? That means you understand wearing appropriate attire to specific occasions. Do you wear black all summer long? Why would scent be any different? Is scent not an element of style?

A*Men on a hot summer day always comes off as disgusting and classless. I'd never suggest A*Men is a bad scent. But it's too heavy for the summer heat. On the other hand, some excellent lighter scents disappear in the winter because they can't cut through the cold at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    Night: There is something about the smell of white flower that works magically with the see breeze
    Alien, La Cologne Fleur du Male, A la Nuit, Do Son
    That's awesome.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Day at the beach: nothing, really
    Evening: Vetiver Extraordinaire (Neroli Portofino price range though), Cartier Pasha or tin can Rive Gauche

Consider Bergamotto Marino by Gianfranco Ferre. Wonderful, fresh scent at a very good price.

[QUOTE=L'Homme Blanc Individuel;2897665]DAY: Lalique White
    NIGHT: Hanae Mori, HM

I've never understood comments like that. Surely, you wouldn't wear a tux to a day at the beach, right? That means you understand wearing appropriate attire to specific occasions. Do you wear black all summer long? Why would scent be any different? Is scent not an element of style?

A*Men on a hot summer day always comes off as disgusting and classless. I'd never suggest A*Men is a bad scent. But it's too heavy for the summer heat. On the other hand, some excellent lighter scents disappear in the winter because they can't cut through the cold at all.

I Absolutely agree! Why would one bother even posting it either? Especially with what seems like a (very misguided) air of pretentiousness...Anyway, I've found Lalique White at a good price for a large bottle, I haven't tested it yet but I may just go for it as its apparently quite versitile for work etc.

Hiya Jimmy. You forgot to close the quote above
    I'm not sure if I'd recommend Lalique White as a blind buy - unless you really like pepper. You can buy a sample online for a few bucks to give it a try. That's what I did.

Here's an excellent review.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I know I know, I have to be "that" guy, but Acqua di Gio is still a great summer scent it is just not unique as many others will be wearing it.

There are several Creeds I like in warmer weather, particularly Silver Mountain Water, GIT, Himalaya among the others already mentioned. All wear very well during the day and might be able to work during the night too in outdoor bars and clubs in your city.

Just taking a quick look at my summer box (yes, I have a box for storing my fragrances by season, I'm weird like that) here is what I have :

Terre de Hermes, Dior Homme Sport, A&F Fierce, ELO Rien, Versace Man Eau Fraiche, Givenchy Play, YSL Live Jazz, Tom Ford Neroli Portofino, Bleu de Chanel, Frapin L'Humaniste, L'Eau D'Issey Miyake, couple Kenzos which I don't remember, and a bunch of "sport" edition fragrances from Gucci, Chanel, Burberry, etc.
    Summer 2013 Top 10 :

1. Creed Aventus
    2. Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    3. L'Eau Bleue D'Issey
    4. Bleu de Chanel
    5. Acqua dio Gio Essenza
    6. Strange Invisible Perfumes - Peloponnesian
    7. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    8. Diesel Green Masculine
    9. Terre d'Hermes
    10. Guerlain Homme

Banned
    Blog Entries

eddie bauer pure for day. clean shower fresh or romance silver for night

Wear whatever you feel like wearing. I mean... I live there, all year round. If I stuck with what the common logic was regarding climate and fragrance selection I'd never own anything but citrusy scents.

Having said that, heres some suggestions. Fragrances do change in the heat, differing notes come forward or receed to some degree but the overwhelming thing is... more. So use less. If you'd normally do two sprays of something... try one. Another odd thing is most citrusy scents do a strange number on my skin when its really hot and humid... they sour. Maybe it's just me but I tend to find them better in my winter, which is akin to summer in colder places anyway.

And finally.. the beach. GO swim. The salt brine smell is wholesome, and it was going to wash off whatever you put on anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    If you like vetiver, give Encre Noir a try. I don't know where you'd be able to test, but it's quite nice and rather cheap.
    I found encre noir to be way too dry and powerful for warm months. I found it too dry for even cold months.

Summer stuff I'm wearing this year will be Neroli Portofino, Fire Island, Bigarade Concentree, St. John's Bay Rum, Pamplemousse Rose and one of the Jardin series (I can't decide which). I had a great bottle of VIW once but the second bottle I replaced it with a few years later was terrible in comparison, not sure if that's a reform or batch issue but beware.

Quote Originally Posted by RunSun View Post
    I know I know, I have to be "that" guy, but Acqua di Gio is still a great summer scent it is just not unique as many others will be wearing it.

There are several Creeds I like in warmer weather, particularly Silver Mountain Water, GIT, Himalaya among the others already mentioned. All wear very well during the day and might be able to work during the night too in outdoor bars and clubs in your city.

Just taking a quick look at my summer box (yes, I have a box for storing my fragrances by season, I'm weird like that) here is what I have :

Terre de Hermes, Dior Homme Sport, A&F Fierce, ELO Rien, Versace Man Eau Fraiche, Givenchy Play, YSL Live Jazz, Tom Ford Neroli Portofino, Bleu de Chanel, Frapin L'Humaniste, L'Eau D'Issey Miyake, couple Kenzos which I don't remember, and a bunch of "sport" edition fragrances from Gucci, Chanel, Burberry, etc.
    Haha boxing frags according to season sounds like a good idea, you've sorta narrowed down the torture of having to choose what frag to wear every day, though i'm sure I'd be using the Neroli Portofino the most frequently.

This has always interested me because I really have a hard time trying to figure out what is good for winter/fall and spring/summer, let alone night or day. I figure the lighter fruity scents are better for the warmer weather and day time but I often find myself just wearing what ever I think smells good that day regardless of what type of scent it is.

Maybe wearing heavy dark frags during a Kansas heatwave is the reason no one wants to stand by me? Kind of sucks because I smelled pretty damn good before I left the house .
    Living each day one spray at a time

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy01 View Post
    This has always interested me because I really have a hard time trying to figure out what is good for winter/fall and spring/summer, let alone night or day. I figure the lighter fruity scents are better for the warmer weather and day time but I often find myself just wearing what ever I think smells good that day regardless of what type of scent it is.

Maybe wearing heavy dark frags during a Kansas heatwave is the reason no one wants to stand by me? Kind of sucks because I smelled pretty damn good before I left the house .

I think thats the case for a lot of people, but i do find that some of the darker, richer frags can work all year round if used in moderation, though i'm sure a Kansas summer and a UK summer are very different things altogether!

Day - Creed Millesime Imperial, Guerlain Homme L'eau

Night - Creed Virgin Island Water, Dolce & Gabbana The One

Aventus for the day and I feel like rose so Noir de Noir for the night. I think the contrast of pineapple and rose would paint a good picture