Code of Conduct

Default John Varvatos Platinum Edition - ?

Anyone had the chance to put their nose to this one yet? It's either at or coming to Macy's. The description isn't particularly helpful at all since it sounds like everything else Varvatos makes. I'm not knocking JV scents though. I'm a fan of JV Original (though it's a shame it doesn't have a proper name).

An addictive new scent for men encompassing unexpected spices, herbs and powerful citrus, wrapped with elegant woods, black leather and rich amber for a sensuous appeal.
    JVplat.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Default Re: John Varvatos Platinum Edition - ?

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    The description isn't particularly helpful at all since it sounds like everything else Varvatos makes.
    You have a good point though. Pass.

Post Thanks / Like

I know a vendor rep for Elizabeth Arden (the maker of John Varvatos fragrances) very well. She has sniffed this in advance of the launch and said to me that it's going to be "amazing".

Aside from Star USA, I have a very high regard for the John Varvatos line, both when it was under BPI and Arden management. So this one will automatically go on my to-test list.
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

Have to take a trip to Macys to sample this one.

I really like the Varvatos, so I will give this one a go. That note list, as you mentioned, is pretty unhelpful though.

I was able to try it last night, I loved the opening, but it reminded me a lot of the 10 year anniversary edition. Weird thing was that my first spray on the inside of my elbow seemed to disappear real quick, but I sprayed it again on my forearm and although the projection wasn't that great I can still sense it on my arm 9 hours later. I will be doing a video review of this one soon, after I have had a chance to wear it again.
    -Cologne is the only fashionable thing that fits me! (Me, circa 1997-present)
    http://www.youtube.com/860cologne

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried or owned nearly all of them. I have given them every opportunity, but I never keep them. With that in mind, I am not psyched to try this. They're just not keepers to me.

1. Note lists are useless. Eros sounded interesting note wise, ended up being a mediocre vanilla bomb.
    2. Varvatos makes some nice scents, poor performance though. Who knows if this bucks the trend though.

Post Thanks / Like

Spicebomb....
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

Post Thanks / Like

My first post. I've been creeping around for a while, but I finally found a thread where I could actually make a relevant contribution (I think). Sorry it's this fragrance I'm writing about for my first, but oh, well...

I just got a sample of this at Nordstroms. I love Artisan's citrus blast. I really like the leather and tobacco vibe of the original John Varvatos (the one with the leather wrap on the bottle). Like many, many people have mentioned before, I also don't get much longevity with either of those. If I spray Artisan on my clothes rather than my skin, then I'm happy with the smell for hours, though. That said, what immediately struck me about Platinum, aside from the garish bottle, was a note I have recognized in a few distinctive frags, that I think (cuz I'm no nose, and note lists are often deceiving) is Tonka? or cheap Vanilla? A blend of the two? Anyways it's a kind of creamy note, that gives me a synthetic vibe. I burned out on it in my club days in the 80's when I wore too, too much Lagerfeld (original). That note is very tastefully present, however, in Chanel's Pour Monsieur. If that helps people who know those fragrances, and THAT note, then you'll know what I got from a single wearing of Platinum.

It lasts longer than the other Varvatos colognes, but it smells cheap and synthetic, to me. Not a good smelling Vanilla, as in The One or Bulgari Man, but a generic cheap vanilla. Whatever that dominating note is, I'd feel classier using Pour Monsieur for the same scent. Or heck why not a (light, light) spritz of Lagerfeld's Tonka explosion just for nostalgia's sake? I don't like Varvatos Platinum after one wear, because it has THAT note in it, and I'm reminded of an 80's power fragrance. I'll use it again, though, to be sure, then I imagine it'll go into that growing pile of unloved samples. An evening club scent, I believe.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried John Varvatos Platinum Edition today at Macy's. Aside from the Spicebomb-esque topnotes, this fragrance is "the poor man's Straight to Heaven" and also shares similarities with the 10th anniversary Varvatos. Similar projection and strength when compared to Straight to Heaven as well, so you aren't sacrificing longevity for cost savings.

So if you like Straight to Heaven but can't justify Kilian's pricing structure or aren't a fan of their packaging, John Varvatos Platinum may be just what the doctor ordered (and it's readily available).

- - - Updated - - -

Update after 6 hours of wearing:

As John Varvatos Platinum Edition dries down, the Straight to Heaven influence goes away, and I get a very strong similarity to... drumroll please... vintage M7.

So there you have it. Spicebomb top notes + Straight to Heaven middle notes + vintage M7 base notes = John Varvatos Platinum Edition. Sounds odd, but it works quite well... not too bad for a recent designer release. And it stays potent all the way through, which resolves a common complaint here about John Varvatos fragrances.
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I tried John Varvatos Platinum.

It's a mediocre release to be honest. It's a ton of powder, with some citrus, and the dirty woody base of the original John Varvatos, but in the end it's awful. It's smells like Desert Marocain and Midnight In Paris, had a really ugly deformed baby. The sillage is there, unfortunately. It tries be sensuous, mysterious and sexy, but in the end, it just smells like cheap cologne.

I dislike the whole Varvatos line, to be honest, but I think Platinum is one of the worst, and that says a lot.

CologneFan85

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    spicebomb....
    yep!

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Smelled a scent strip in a Details mag. I know you can't get a good feel for something from a page in a magazine, but for what it's worth I thought it smelled great.

Yeah, I've tried it. It's very nondescript and indistinct. It just smells like a sort of combination of Rock Vol. 1 and the original scent. Frankly, I find it to be garbage -- a purely commercial venture that tries to get by on fancy packaging.

I find the whole line underwhelming -- especially in comparison to his clothing design, which is quite nice -- but the standout for me is Artisan. The rest just bore me to tears, with this being a combination of everything that's bad about the line.

Post Thanks / Like

I've a nice respect for JV fragrances and I like all of them except his last release *USA.
    I'll definitely give it a chance. I know I wont get a chance to sniff it in my country in near future but I'll love to sample it.
    May be I'll but it blind in a coming few days...lets see!!
    ------------------------------------------------
    Currently on my Rotation:
    1. Artisan
    2. Mugler Cologne
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Pure Shot
    5. Burberry Touch
    6. Bang
    7. GIT
    8. Bvlgari pHE
    9. TdH
    0. YSL Libre

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timmy-j View Post
    Smelled a scent strip in a Details mag. I know you can't get a good feel for something from a page in a magazine, but for what it's worth I thought it smelled great.
    Ditto!
    I agree!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    I tried John Varvatos Platinum.

It's a mediocre release to be honest. It's a ton of powder, with some citrus, and the dirty woody base of the original John Varvatos, but in the end it's awful. It's smells like Desert Marocain and Midnight In Paris, had a really ugly deformed baby. The sillage is there, unfortunately. It tries be sensuous, mysterious and sexy, but in the end, it just smells like cheap cologne.

I dislike the whole Varvatos line, to be honest, but I think Platinum is one of the worst, and that says a lot.
    Not liking the rather offensive comparison reference here ......very unfortunate given the quality of posts before !

Somebody said in Fragrantica that it smeels like LIDGE but not so syrupy... more wearable and friendly.

It's the exact same as the 10th anniversary - perhaps slightly reformulated with a slight bit of bitter orange upfront. It's mostly a synthetic patchouli but it has good longevity. To me, it's not exactly a bad scent, but wears better in cooler weather.

I can see the LIDGE comparison, but wouldn't say that it's completely accurate. No noticeable cocoa notes here.
    Hi, I'm William | removethelabels.com | Yep! This Is My Moving Sale Thread
    My Decant & Bottles Swap Thread | I need a Creed Original Vetiver cap...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stanmar View Post
    Not liking the rather offensive comparison reference here ......very unfortunate given the quality of posts before !
    What do you expect from ND? He's a professional hater.

The patchouli is sort of similar to LIDGE only not as sweet. Very unique for a recent designer fragrance.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-

*CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Oud Fleur, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927