Code of Conduct

Default Guys...Manicures?

Just curious how many of the guys out there routinely get or have ever gotten manicures? I personally never have, but I don't see any problem with it. Any thoughts out there?

Default Re: Guys...Manicures?

I'm the same - wouldn't look down on a bloke for getting a manicure, but I've never had one, and I doubt I ever will.

It's not really my thing.

I understand that some men get pedicures as well. That I don't understand at all. I guess if your girlfriend/wife/significant other has a foot fetish then it might be worth it. Ugly feet and foot fetishes don't go well together!

I am very keen on manicures and pedicures. Sometimes I get them done at a gent's grooming or wifey does it for me.

for swap/sale:

I might one day, have alsopreviously considered it, mainly to further enhance a presentable, well-groomed, neat look in my social and professional life.

I care for my hands myself and did not feel the urge to get a manicure yet.

I understand that some men get pedicures as well. That I don't understand at all. I guess if your girlfriend/wife/significant other has a foot fetish then it might be worth it. Ugly feet and foot fetishes don't go well together!
    I wouldn't necessarily assume that all foot fetishists want neatly groomed and clean feet. Some might enjoy them a little rough, ripe and grimy lol.

i bought 1 oth those $10 fingernail clipper,toenail clipper/file/tweezer etc kits that i use after the shower at the gym...i love picking out the crud from under my toenails with the end of the file
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I am very keen on manicures and pedicures. Sometimes I get them done at a gent's grooming or wifey does it for me.
    Good for you, Hedonist! I think a well-groomed man is incredibly sexy. And I'm sure you can attest to how relaxing the treatments are to receive. I'll bet that most of the naysayers have never had a real pedicure or manicure. I'm personally responsible for many converts!

Have never had a professional manicure.

I do it myself sometimes. Your friends are gonna bust your balls about it but you'll look good, and not in a pretty boy way. To me, I think it gives off the impression that you have a lot of class or a lot of money. Not saying you guys who don't do it are poor or classless.. but think about this. Girls obsess over their fingernails for a number of reasons, but mainly because they don't like to be dirty or look dirty. Why would a girl who spends so much time on making her nails perfect want to be touched by a guy with grime under his fingernails? If you're not gonna polish your nails, I recommend at least getting a four stage buffing block and some good nail clippers and scissors. Just shape the nail so that only a little bit of the tip is white where it starts to come off of the end of your finger, but not long enough to scratch someone or to get something stuck underneath. then use the 4 stage block you got at cvs and go over each nail one by one thoroughly with each of the four stages.. it's just like sanding wood. The first 3 stages get it smoother and smoother, and then the last stage leaves it with a good shine that will definitely register subconciously with people that you're a well put together guy. Yeah some guys have dirty jobs and get dirty fingernails, but if you're going out with a nice shirt and tie, you should definitely do some nail maintenace.

In addition to that I like to put clear polish on because it makes your shine job last longer, but you don't need to. It takes a few attempts before you find a nail polish brand that doesn't shine TOO much

Having clean nails gives off the impression that you've got it together, just like having shined shoes and a clean shave. This is important not just for picking up girls(or guys but I don't know much about attracting guys), it's also important for a job interview.
    Last edited by trallis; 19th February 2013 at 09:12 PM.

Basenotes Member

Yeah, you are right! There is nothing wrong for guys having manicure. But it must not be colored manicure at all or else this dude will definitely be judged as third sex, LOL! It is better off just a color less one. Coz there are guys who’s definitely vain and I do admire those types of guys out there.

No Thanks Jeff.

I want to preface this by writing that I do keep my hands clean, my nails trimmed and cleaned, and I do like to make sure my hands are moisturized especially in the winter. That being said...

I don't get the spending money and time to make your nails look good thing. This goes for men and women. I know, I'm probably in the minority on this site and I'm happy to be. I guess I could see having a nail job done if you were a hand model or had straight-up nasty hands and were self-conscious about it. I guess I could see benefit if it helps you relax too.

In general, I think anything more than basic hand hygine (general cleanliness, moisturizing) is ridiculous. I know it runs the gammut. You've got people with fine looking hands wanting to make their mitts look "more attractive"...and then you've got people flaunting their two inch long leopard print painted nails that are pierced with gold and diamond bling hanging off of them thinking it's making them sexy. I think it's all ridiculous. Again, unless you have nasty hands, are a hand model, or equate it to some form of meditation I think it's silly. Just my opinion.

It's actually a turn off for me. I like a woman who's not afraid to get down and dirty and come caving, rock climbing, ect. with me. When I see someone with "well used" more natural looking hands, it tells me they've probably been grabbing life by the balls and enjoying it. I forgot, this thread's about guys getting manicures. Huh?! Anyway, I guess I'd try it once as I'll try anything once as long as it's not unhealthy, but I already know that I'm not vain enough to make it a repeat endeavor (since I'm not a hand model, don't have nasty hands, and practice other forms of meditation).

I'm not trying to offend anyone, so sorry if I do. This is just my opinion. To sum it up: Man, I could give and F about what your digits look like as long as they aren't crazy haggard.
    Wild at Heart and Weird on Top

never
    Vintage Kouros rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Orieno View Post
    This is the greatest post I have ever seen.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by Genie Jeanie View Post
    Good for you, Hedonist! I think a well-groomed man is incredibly sexy. And I'm sure you can attest to how relaxing the treatments are to receive. I'll bet that most of the naysayers have never had a real pedicure or manicure. I'm personally responsible for many converts!
    only saw this now.

completely agree with you.

for swap/sale:

Having never had neither, I don't think they are all that useful/great but I don't look down on them either. That said, to contradict an earlier post, I do think pedicures are much more useful than manicures as feet can get pretty gnarly, especially as summer flip flop/sandal/barefoot is coming. For me the upkeep of the hands are easy enough that a manicure seems to be an excessive endeavor for what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by Smells_Familiar View Post
    I don't get the spending money and time to make your nails look good thing. This goes for men and women.
    Blasphemous words from u yell the ladies reading this. These words are as bad as telling that Aventus is the 2nd best smelling parfum on BN, bcoz the Creed fan(atics) will shout back blasphemy

I agree that its $ wasted when a decent nail cutter, a body scrubber used only for ur feet & a pumice stone will do the job, as are used by my GF and my sister; both of them have very gd nails, & I can vouch that my GF has lovely toe nails & feet as well...

I bite my nails so I don't need a manicure. I would save that money and use it to get a massage or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Suave11 View Post
    I bite my nails so I don't need a manicure. I would save that money and use it to get a massage or something.
    you especially need a manicure

for swap/sale: