Code of Conduct

Default Homage,Tribute or Al Shomukh?

If u only could have one,what would it be out of these Attars. Homage,Tribute or Al Shomukh

Also list your favorite Attars of all the Amouage Attars

Default Re: Homage,Tribute or Al Shomukh?

Tribute, gorgeous frankincense

Tribute most definitely.

I own a bottle of Tribute, It is richer than Hommage, which is more floral.

I like both Tribute and Homage quite a bit. In some ways I enjoy Homage more, but Tribute, lightly applied, is more easily wearable by a man. I am wearing both, they are my to go scents. I have in fact two bottles of Homage, a white one (2009) and a red one (2011). I actually enjoy the light differences between batches.

I have never sampled Al Shomoukh. Would be curious to hear about it.

There is a good chance it would fit my taste. After all, my wife says: "you're a Shmukh" all the time, and my name isn't even Al!

Basenotes Plus

Al Shomoukh had a more animalic oudh & a more masculine vibe than than Tribute imo.
    Think it's been discontinued.

+ 1 for Tribute.

Homage
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Tribute

Quote Originally Posted by EndlesslySurprised View Post
    I like both Tribute and Homage quite a bit. In some ways I enjoy Homage more, but Tribute, lightly applied, is more easily wearable by a man. I am wearing both, they are my to go scents. I have in fact two bottles of Homage, a white one (2009) and a red one (2011). I actually enjoy the light differences between batches.

I have never sampled Al Shomoukh. Would be curious to hear about it.

There is a good chance it would fit my taste. After all, my wife says: "you're a Shmukh" all the time, and my name isn't even Al!
    Hi
    Would you care to explain the difference? Is it much? I have been looking to buy one but always read on the forum that the newer batches have ruined it?

Tribute.

for swap/sale:

The latest Homage I have smelled was very bland, predominantly a clean orange blossom (which I don't like) with a clean frankincense. In a recent thread someone suggested it as a good fresh summer scent, and I concur- which is not necessarily what one wants from Amouage.

Tribute is a big powerhouse, and I own it.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

@EndlesslySurprised - originally, Homage had a lot of Ta'if rose. Later white boxes had less, some had a very prominent oudh note, possibly due to a shortage of rose.
    The earlier red boxes also varied, one of mine just had a lot more Al Andalus, with less rose & oudh whilst another was just generally weakened.

Another member kindly sent me a sample of a more recent 2011 'red box' one.
    Admittedly, I was having a pretty bad day when it arrived yesterday, but had to go & fetch one of mine to compare as it confused my poor old brain so much
    Normally this doesn't happen, but wearing the two at the same time was surprising to say the least.

It appeared to have notes that I don't recognise, but definitely lacked the Al Andalus & the sandalwood and oudh were also difficult to detect.
    In the middle stages, it bore a resemblance to the earlier ones, more a memory perhaps.

I think that various issues of ingredient availability, compliance & possibly other things as well have caused a huge difference in Homage.

There are still white box bottles around (in Kuwait, for example), but I don't know of anyone in the U.K. with stocks - so if you have any suggest treasure & enjoy.
    Last edited by lpp; 1st April 2013 at 02:04 PM.

LPP @ Thanks for the comparison. Homage is not technically on my to-buy list but will know for future reference.

I am after some comparison between Tribute old version vs the newer one. I can't seem to find the older one anywhere at all.

Basenotes Plus

Another member (again ) sent me a sample of 'new' red box 2011 Tribute & I did prefer the stronger 'old' one, but it did seem less affected than Homage of a similar vintage.
    That nice man in Kuwait is the only person I know with recent stocks of both in the white boxes.
    Last edited by lpp; 2nd April 2013 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Another member (again ) sent me a sample of 'new' red box 2011 Tribute & I did prefer the stronger 'old' one, but it did seem less affected than Homage of a similar vintage.
    That nice man in Kuwait is the only person I know with recent stocks of both in the white boxes.
    Please would you share with me (PM if private) who that nice man is? I am **BADLY** looking for a 30ml bottle of Tribute, well I have been for over 6 months.

- - - Updated - - -

Just noticed, universal has 30ml white box in stock. Where is my credit card man.

I'd agree that Tribute is perhaps more masculine but I wear Homage a lot more, to me it's a far more versatile scent due to its light transparent character (relative to Tribute). Al Shomouk is a scrubber for me, didn't care for harsh synthetic musk and the sweet dawana note is way to cloying and tedious.

Basenotes Plus

Last edited by lpp; 12th April 2013 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orgoglio italianO View Post
    If u only could have one,what would it be out of these Attars. Homage,Tribute or Al Shomukh

Also list your favorite Attars of all the Amouage Attars
    Lol! Salaamualaikum ye akhe Origilio, hope all is well inshAllah.
    I prefer all three as each is very unique as I've mentioned a number of times before. But in all honesty I prefer Al Shomoukh due to its sheer rarity and unique qualities amongst all the attars I've tried and alhamdurillah I've tried plenty! It does not scream as Tribute does but leaves a beautiful oudhy musky naughtiness in your wake as you walk past. I love it in winter but prefer it more in summer due to the effects it has on other people. I wore a drop or two of it at work once during summer and amongst the sea of fresh citrus saturated people out there I stuck out like a beacon. Couple of customers complimented that they were wondering what that musky woody smell was when they walked in to the building and they were glad it was emanating from me as they could at least ask me what it was.........until I told them the price and the fact that its discontinued! Lol!

Shomouk smells great for about 15 minutes and then becomes dominated by an overwhelming and somewhat synthetic smelling musk.
    Tribute smells great but is very powerful and all too easy to overdo. My favourite one.
    Homage is nice but a bit clean.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 5th April 2013 at 06:44 PM.

Basenotes Plus

The Shomoukh that I had, although very interesting, was too strong for me to wear really, but didn't seem synthetic.

I've many musks at home, some fake synths and some real pongy natural ones which I use as a reference and I can tell you my Al Shomoukh contains none of the synths. It may be a yet another case of batch variations but I find the rarer attars less effected....rather there is a seasonal batch variation rather than reformulation as suffered by the popular more available attars. A kind soul (;-)God bless!)sent me two different batch variants of Homage and I was so shocked.....mine smelt anorexic in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by sultanpasha View Post
    Lol! Salaamualaikum ye akhe Origilio, hope all is well inshAllah.
    I prefer all three as each is very unique as I've mentioned a number of times before. But in all honesty I prefer Al Shomoukh due to its sheer rarity and unique qualities amongst all the attars I've tried and alhamdurillah I've tried plenty! It does not scream as Tribute does but leaves a beautiful oudhy musky naughtiness in your wake as you walk past. I love it in winter but prefer it more in summer due to the effects it has on other people. I wore a drop or two of it at work once during summer and amongst the sea of fresh citrus saturated people out there I stuck out like a beacon. Couple of customers complimented that they were wondering what that musky woody smell was when they walked in to the building and they were glad it was emanating from me as they could at least ask me what it was.........until I told them the price and the fact that its discontinued! Lol!
    Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,Sultanpasha :-)

I seen perfumedcourt had Al Shomoukh and they ran out lol i guess i'll never try it now...
    Tribute and Homage i both enjoy very much Homage more so. Tribute is great with all the notes to me but the ash tray note is hard to get around but actually its weird ill fiend to smell that note sometimes,weird huh

- - - Updated - - -

Thanx all for everyones input,reviews etc

Quote Originally Posted by orgoglio italiano View Post
    assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,sultanpasha :-)

i seen perfumedcourt had al shomoukh and they ran out lol i guess i'll never try it now........
    ............................ ;-) ;-)