Code of Conduct

Default Bad Breath: Its Causes and How to Fight It

Most people think that bad breath is caused by the stomach and the digestive system. But actually the origin of more than 90% of cases of bad breath is in the TONGUE. People who do not produce enough saliva for a variety of reasons (genetic, stress, medications, drugs, depression etc.) tend to have a thicker layer of bacteria over the tongue, and these bacteria cause bad breath. This layer usually has a white color.

Most people think that the best way to fight bad breath is using listerine, but they are wrong. Listerine masks the bad breath for some time, but doesn't really solve the problem. And it also has alcohol and other strong ingredients in it, which can make the tissues of the inside of your mouth peel, worsening the bad breath even more.

The best way to fight bad breath is to 1) buy a toothbrush with a large head, 2) buy an anti-bacterial toothpaste (the best is Colgate Total because it lasts 12 hours) and 3) brush your tongue from tip to root, very carefully, without haste, until the white layer of bacteria doesn't exist anymore.

If you brush your tongue at least 2 times a day, you breath will be pleasant and you will be able to kiss again without any problems.

I hope this is helpful. Please add your own experiences, if you have any.
    Last edited by DanielPlainview; 31st March 2013 at 07:21 PM.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Bad Breath: Its Causes and How to Fight It

Excellent post. thank you.

P.S. I forgot to add that brushing your tongue can cause gag reflex in some people. In such cases, the person has to find ways of coping. For example, not putting too much pressure on the toothbrush over the tongue, or not going too "deep" into the mouth while brushing the tongue.

Thanks, I knew about the tongue being a major factor, but knew much less about the proper routine of cleaning and brushing.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 31st March 2013 at 08:03 PM.

Sorry, but I'm skeptical. I don't doubt the tongue can be the cause on occasion, especially with some sort of fungal infection (which requires prescription medicine to get rid of it), and that some people may have "furry" tongues relatively speaking which may cause issues. I did buy one of those plastic gadgets that scrape the tongue, out of amusement, but never actually used it.

But for persistent bad breathe the cause is usually gum related - that most often occurs due to either poor teeth/gum cleaning or because good cleaning is very difficult because of tight teeth, or teeth with standard amalgam fillings that corrode and prevent flossing with unwaxed floss, or prevent cleaning them with little interdental brushes between the teeth (Tee-pee or Pickster brushes). I had this issue and paid a prosthodontist tens of thousands of dollars to fix my teeth, with among other things replacing standard amalgam with bonded amalgam fillings, and shaping the teeth so that they could be cleaned properly, and the problem then went away.

Colgate Total toothpaste and Listerine are both very mild anti bacterials. The product sold here known as Savacol kills just about every known germ, and is infinitely superior for the occasional gum problem (dip toothbrush and/or interdental brush into it, and apply to any inflamed gum area). Only down side is that frequent use of Savacol stains teeth somewhat, and dentist gets annoyed getting it off when one gets a descaling from him. But very occasionally, Savacol doesn't work because the bacteria is anaerobic, in which case swishing with Colgate Peroxyl kills it off.

Anyhow, for someone with this breath issue it doesn't hurt to try your technique in the first instance, but I suspect some would need to try the stronger measures I suggest.
    Regards,
    Renato

Hi Renato,

Some people have more complicated cases like yours, but the great majority of people just have too much bacteria on the tongue. Believe me, Ive read many articles about this.

My dad's girlfriend had horrible breath until she got rid of a chronic sinus problem.

Another cause of bad breath, which is temporary and quite welcome, is caused by people who loose weight. When you eliminate fat, your body creates ketone bodies in your bloodstream. These are expelled in the lungs, and have a bad odor.

I have always used a tongue scraper in the morning and before going to bed. Has always done the trick for me.

I have a tongue scraper too (actually I have two models), but I think it is too soft, not sharp enough to remove the bacteria. I prefer to brush the tongue.

Everyone should try the "Orabrush". Its designed for the tongue only and usually comes with "tongue paste". It's superior to the scraper.

Quote Originally Posted by Odorloader View Post
    Everyone should try the "Orabrush". Its designed for the tongue only and usually comes with "tongue paste". It's superior to the scraper.
    I've seen this. Plan on picking one up.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielPlainview View Post
    Hi Renato,

Some people have more complicated cases like yours, but the great majority of people just have too much bacteria on the tongue. Believe me, Ive read many articles about this.
    Curious how dentists give me a different story - but then again, it's in their interest I suppose.
    I guess I just wanted to point out that tight teeth (i.e. with small gaps between them) is often the cause.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Mmmm BACON!!

As others have said above, health, oral health, diet, certain diseases, certain foods, and various other factors can contribute to bad breath. If any of those things is the problem, all the tongue scraping in the world won't help.

I don't do it, myself. As someone who's actually a bit paranoid about having bad breath, I find that keeping my teeth clean, drinking enough water, and eating properly do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Mmmm BACON!!

Where can I buy this?? Wait...It's just an April Fool's Joke.

Use a tongue scraper. The white stuff on your tongue is what causes that bad breath. Reach back deep, you may gag hah.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

The skinny on the causes and treatment for bad breath from the American Dental Association

http://www.ada.org/sections/scienceA...t_sept2012.pdf
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell